A little confused on a motherboard, SLI, ATI Crossfire?

ssh2004

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
I am upgrading my computer shortly and will be getting a Q6600 along with a p35 motherboard as i have read that it is a good combination to overclock. I was planning on getting an Nvidia 8800 graphics card. However i notice the ASUS motherboards (also Gigabyte) support ATI Crossfire. So my questions are as follows:

1) i take it the Nvidia graphics card will still work fine?
2) i wont be able to use two Nvidia graphics card in future since they only support ATI Crossfire?

Not so much of a problem right now as i only want to use one graphics card but it could throw a spanner in the works if i want to change that in the future. Thanks in advance.

San.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
All non-nvidia chipset motherboards don't support SLI. One card works fine, but 2 cards won't work. So if you also ain't going to buy an ATI card I suggest saving the money on the crossfire setup and just buy a single card board.

Also SLI isn't really worth it usually. Better getting a new card in the future that is better, unless of course more games are going to use it, but still a lot of games are single card optimized and the gain will not be worth the cost imho.

I think in 1-3 years we might see more SLI/crossfire solutions, but maybe we won't need it at all.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks Maziar... i wasnt under the impression the platform made a difference in Crossfire rig. Obviously im wrong :) I like learning

mehdih

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
It seems, you are looking for high performance graphic card .And you would like to have a chance for upgrad in 1-2 years later. But dont forget innovations in this field are very fast then you should change all of your pc just in few years.So I think it is better for you to buy a high_end graphic card in return for buy two graphic board. and buy a new card with more performance than sli, after few years.

mehdih

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
It seems, you are looking for high performance graphic card .And you would like to have a chance for upgrad in 1-2 years later. But dont forget innovations in this field are very fast then you should change all of your pc just in few years.So I think it is better for you to buy a high_end graphic card in return for buy two graphic board. and buy a new card with more performance than sli, after few years.

neoxblu1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Heres what to consider... you dont need the best video card to get the most from your games. Most games require dont require powerful video cards, but getting a powerful video card future proofs your system. Now I would recemmend SLI because it would be cheaper than guying the expensivest VGA card.

SCORES:

Single Nvidia 8800 ULTRA 786MB - - - - > 3900 (price: $700 - $800)

Dual Nvidia 8800 GTX 320MB - - - - > 6000 (price: $600 - $700)

But than you have to sacrafice another PCI x16 slot and a regular PCI slot (Because they are wide)

I got the scores from Tomshardware VGA Charts.

(If you gotto digitalstormonline.com, and customize a pc, goto video cards and like on "Graphic Card Charts" and there you go).

TRENDING THREADS