Mup.sys problem - lend a hand noble night.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Hello ladies

Here is the problem (and a breakdown of)

My mums PC went gahgahh while I was at school, came home to hear that it had flashed up an enormous error and then turned off (thats all I got!)

So I thought hmm this should be interesting and proceeded to turn it on, only to be faced with, after BIOS and screen telling me Windows didn't work haha last time, a black screen.

So I started in safe mode to find that it was freezing on MUP.sys

Having seen this problem before on my brothers PC I plugged the disk into mine and ran a chkdsk /r on it.

What fixed the problem last time did not fix it this time.

So, after Googling the problem, I decided to try removing or disabling any hardware one piece at a time. This did not fix it. GRR

Anyway, I then tried using my XP ISO to repair it. It froze while loading a file at teh start called "SCSI disk". So I got another and this time it worked. I say worked, I mean got me to teh menu where I could choose what I wanted to do. I chose repair, and it deleted all the files it needed to. Then restarted. BAD

So, I put the HD back in my PC and ran a full surface test and file integrity check. It froze my PC, though I can't prove its that, because I have a poor wireless adapter that often freezes Windows (Google "WPN111 driver freeze" haha).

It's in their now plotting its next evil move.

MUP.sys is a networking file:

http://www.file.net/process/mup.sys.html

On a bit of a noobie site but OH WELL GET OVER IT.

Specs of my mums system: (mine in siggy)

Athlon 3000+
1gb DDR400
ATi Radeon X300
40gb ST3400012A HDD
DVD ROM
ASUS K8N4-E
XP SP2 (it was/is an integrated ISO, I'll try and find another)

Homebuilt BTW.

I'm usually the one helping people but I'm not having much luck this time. Anything, googling, flashes of genius is appreciated.

Cheers babez. :bounce:

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
I have no good news, but I have seen this problem before on my own PC. I was not able to recover the PC and instead had to restore it from a backup image. I fortunately only lost 2 days email. You will most likely have to do a format/reinstall of windows from scratch. The one thing I never tried was to replace JUST the mup.sys file with a fresh copy. You would need to boot from some sort of media that would offer you command prompt access without hitting the windows install on the disk. (safe mode without networking might work, since mup.sys is a network file) You could, in theory, then copy a new version of mup.sys to the disk and see if it quits locking up.

for what it's worth. . .

-J

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I'd use kill disk app on the HDD and start from scratch. Kill disk totally removes all partitions etc from a HDD.
http://www.killdisk.com/
I've had a HDD before that was always going bad even after formats and reinstalls. Used that and no problems after.
It's a last resort for HDD errors but works well.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Ah ok

I tried removing one memory stick and the page error went away, but then it kept failing to copy files, ill swap the memory stick

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
mup.sys isn't the problem it is just the last file to load before the boot to windows, which is where you are stalling, so you see mup.sys as the system hangs. Generally this is a memory and or HDD problem of some sort but could be caused by other hardware as well. Hard to track issue but stop looking at mup.sys and look into the hardware, cables etc.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

I've seen this pattern to many times. Your wasting your time with pulling memory and trying to reinstall this and that. Your hard drive is failing. Any time you get the symptoms of your computer crashes and reboots but fails to reload because of a missing file, then you replace file or reformat and it fails again, maybe with a different file, than you try and run scandisk or defrag and it freezes, its your hard drive.

Don't reuse the drive, its no longer reliable, even though it may act like its running fine for short periods of time.

Replace the hard drive, they are cheap.