Sign in with
Your question

Compare RAID0,RAID1 and JBOD

Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2008 4:29:34 AM

Hi,

My motherboard supports all three technologies. What are the differences and which is best?

thanks
May 30, 2008 4:47:38 AM

Dude, stop being so lazy and just use google. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for you to find that information.
May 30, 2008 4:51:10 AM

RAID 0 Striped set without parity/[Non-Redundant Array]. Provides improved performance and additional storage but no fault tolerance. Any disk failure destroys the array, which becomes more likely with more disks in the array. A single disk failure destroys the entire array because when data is written to a RAID 0 drive, the data is broken into fragments. The number of fragments is dictated by the number of disks in the drive. The fragments are written to their respective disks simultaneously on the same sector. This allows smaller sections of the entire chunk of data to be read off the drive in parallel, giving this type of arrangement huge bandwidth. RAID 0 does not implement error checking so any error is unrecoverable. More disks in the array means higher bandwidth, but greater risk of data loss. SNIA definition.

RAID 1
Mirrored set without parity. Provides fault tolerance from disk errors and failure of all but one of the drives. Increased read performance occurs when using a multi-threaded operating system that supports split seeks, very small performance reduction when writing. Array continues to operate so long as at least one drive is functioning. SNIA definition. Using RAID 1 with a separate controller for each disk is sometimes called duplexing.

JBOD stands for Just a Bunch of Disks. The controller treats each drive as a stand-alone disk, therefore each drive is an independent logical drive. JBOD does not provide data redundancy. Concatenation or Spanning of disks is not one of the numbered RAID levels, but it is a popular method for combining multiple physical disk drives into a single virtual disk. It provides no data redundancy. As the name implies, disks are merely concatenated together, end to beginning, so they appear to be a single large disk.
Concatenation may be thought of as the reverse of partitioning. Whereas partitioning takes one physical drive and creates two or more logical drives, JBOD uses two or more physical drives to create one logical drive. In that it consists of an array of independent disks, it can be thought of as a distant relation to RAID. Concatenation is sometimes used to turn several odd-sized drives into one larger useful drive, which cannot be done with RAID 0. For example, JBOD could combine 3 GB, 15 GB, 5.5 GB, and 12 GB drives into a logical drive at 35.5 GB, which is often more useful than the individual drives separately.

To make it shortly:

Raid 0: is faster but if one drive fails they all fail (and since there are several there's a bigger chance of fail)
Raid 1 : a certain number of disks with all the exact same data on them, if one fails you still got the others
JBOD: takes several disks and turns them into one virtual disk so that you don't have to look in each one when seaching for a file/installing something.
May 30, 2008 5:00:54 AM

Sorry guys...I wanted know peoples experiences with these technologies. Thats why I posted. May be my topic is misleading.
May 30, 2008 10:10:46 PM

get raid 0 and then get another seperate (as in not in the computer) drive to backup on, as Raid 1 is not fot backup but redundancy (very slim difference)
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
June 3, 2008 5:55:22 AM

Raid in general is really hard to justify in an average users and even gamers system.

At any given point my system can be playing a game, recording tv and encoding video at the same time. Given the heavy HDD task I do. I do not regret my raid 0. If you want to draw from our expierence with it perhaps you could tell us what turned your interest to RAID for you system.

Unless you use your computer stricktly for file serving or for business most people will not want to use RAID 1. (RAID 1 will cut your total storage in half)

My system is setup much like jonyb222 said earlier.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
June 4, 2008 5:53:46 AM

For awhile I was thinking of setting up a RAID 1 for my HTPC case, but since that means decreasing overall storage capacity I decided to simply buy a NAs with 4 available drive bays.
!