nebajnim

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
First I would like to say that I am an attorney, so if my long worded explaination gets on your nerves, I'm sorry, but it seems that details matter in this area as well as in law.

I basically need advice on where there is a good free cloning software, or some way to repair an XP OS without the repair disks.

I recently upgraded my HDD on an old Dell Inspiron 4100 (from 2001.) I am running XP. (I used up my trial version of Arconis doing so, so keep that in mind.) I got silly and tried to upgrade to SP3 and flash my bios, which was already maxed, and that put some kind of crimp on the HDD, as it had to restart about 5 times to get it running again (kept saying that it needed to go back to the most recent configuration that worked.)

Then I got an ATE brand PCMCIA USB card, and somehow funked up my drivers for it, and could never get it to work, I might have tooled with some hidden folders trying to get it working. For about a week it started up fine, but without my new usb 2.0 card working.

My step son then broke his keyboard driver and needed to do homework so I loaned him the old 4100 to get it done. He fixed his drivers and I got the old computer back but...

Somehow the computer doesn't startup with the old drive, a "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" it is saying load off the OS CD, hit "r" on the first screen to repair it. I don't have the original OS disks for this old computer, although I have XP media edition disks for a Dell e1505 that I bought 3 years ago.

I stuck the old HDD back in and it does start up, and guess what? The PCMCIA to 2X 2.0 USB card is now working. Unfortunately my trial Arconis ran up, and the Clonzilla that came with the ATA IDE box was a piece of junk; it failed me twice, and I threw it out.

So I want to reclone the old HDD, as I still have my old files backed up elsewhere, and want those 2.0 usb ports to work, they never worked without the old HDD being back in place. Repairing the new drive is only the second option, so if there is a free cloning program besides Arconis, which works without a hitch, I would appreciate it.