How to diagnose error code 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwired

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
I have this Microsoft UAA bus driver for high definition audio that is marked with a yellow exclamation point but it is throwing a code 12 "this device can not find enough resources that it can use" error. Since its not connected, I cant see the actual conflict.

How can I diagnose which resource is blocking this one from working?

I am running on XP.

thinkwired

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
I am running Windows 7.

My real question is... how can I diagnose which resource is blocking this one from working? This isnt a driver issue, its an issue with the device not being recognized.

How do I diagnose error code 12?

If the device isn't being recognized it will show up under "other devices" in the device manager. If it shows up under a different category but has a yellow exclamation point next to it, it's either a bad driver or hardware problem, but most times it's the driver.

I haven't been able to find out anything about error 12. If you right-click the yellow exclamation point, does it tell you more info about the error?

thinkwired

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Yes, it says "this device can not find enough resources that it can use."

Microsoft defines error code 12 as;

"Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Cause

This error can occur if two devices that are installed on your computer have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or both). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device. "

Are you using an AMD/ATI video card? I know my ATi HD4850 installs a "high definition audio driver" or a "Micorsoft UAA HDMI driver".

Maybe one of those is conflicting. I haven't had an nvidia card in a while, but it may also have it's own audio driver (for HDMI). These drivers should be installed after all the motherboard/chipset drivers are installed. I just linked to the first ATI audio driver I found, but it may not be for your OS. You will need to get the correct version if needed.

thinkwired

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Yes it is AMD but, it doesn't matter if you install the right drivers before, after, today, tomorrow, or yesterday, the hardware is in a resource conflict so it is not being read.

I dont want to get off track. The only real question here is, how can you manually diagnose error code 12.

Maybe it isnt even possible. Clearly 2 things are fighting for the same spot but when one of those things can't connect, how can you diagnose the problem? I wish there was a way to see where it was trying to connect and failed. Could there be a log of this somewhere? Somewhere in the boot process it decides that this device can't be used. Maybe if I knew exactly where/when, I could figure out what was in its way.

I wonder if I should just start a new post? I feel like this one is meandering off track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS