WD NAS xfers at only 160 KB!

darkphox

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I recently bought a WD World book 1 tb NAS device. I read around, and know that this item does not perform at great speed. But the worst I read was transfers of 3-4 mbps, with an average around 20-30mpbs real transfer speed. When I try to transfer a file to it, the speed is between 160-170 Kbps.

the NAS is connected to a Linksys WRT54G router(10/100) with cat5e
My computer is connected to the WRT54G via 10/100, also cat5e, and is fairly new. Downloading off the internet i get about 600 kbps. File transfers to/from my other computers on the network go at normal/acceptable speeds.

I mapped the drive manually, and did not install the garbage mionet software bundled with it. I have looked and did not find any duplex settings conflicting.

I assume this is a problem with my network settings somewhere, although I have not been able to identify where the problem is specifically. I have heard if I give the device its IP rather than let it go DHCP it picks up a little boost, but mine is so far below even the 'sub-par' speeds that i know something is wrong, and im out of ideas.

Aoh godly nerds of internet lore, i offer a lamb as sacrifice for your assistance.

-DarkphoX-

darkphox

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
just in case anyone else has this, or a similar problem, i found the solution(in my case). My mobo is a Nvidia 680lt SLI. It came with performance boosting 'first packet' software in which you could select folders and it would prioritize your internet traffic to the programs in these folders. Idea obviously being that your games get priority of your bandwidth. I added a folder from the NAS with no effect. I turned 'first packet' off completly and problem solved! It went from 140-160 kbps transfers to 5mbps instantly.