Sign in with
Your question

Best PC Case? Please suggest...

Last response: in Components
October 27, 2007 5:08:37 PM

I am looking to buy a new PC case that can fit 2 8800 GTS 640's on a 680i A1 mobo, comfortably. I have read good things about the Antec Nine Hundred but they are from back in May. Any thoughts on the best that is out there these days or is that the best one?

Thanks

More about : case suggest

October 27, 2007 5:37:32 PM

the 900 is an excellent well built case. Also take a look at the coolermaster stacker series.
October 27, 2007 5:56:24 PM

900 Series = Wind Tunnel

P182 Series = Quiet, not as cool

Your choice from Antec anyways.
Related resources
October 27, 2007 6:04:36 PM

I looked at the CM 830, not too bad on clubit
October 27, 2007 6:17:55 PM

CoolerMaster 690
Tool-less, quiet fans, 8800 SLI certified and not steel like then 900. The 900 would still be a good buy but many say they prefer the 690.
October 27, 2007 6:21:20 PM

its a sweet case though!
October 27, 2007 6:21:30 PM

Antec 900 is a very nice case, especially if you plan on OC'ing your rig but it can become rather noisy depending on how you setup your fans. Thermaltake armor is another nice case with plenty of space and pretty decent cooling.
October 27, 2007 6:22:37 PM

if your looking for quiet fans... check out some yate-loon fans. Cheap and some of the quietest fans on the market.
October 27, 2007 6:47:27 PM

i just got my thermaltake amor. The thing is a beast but its amazing! lots of ventilation and fans and plenty of drive bays.
October 27, 2007 6:55:53 PM

I have an Antec 900 and its a good case. I mainly got it because it was on a very good sale at the time. The only two problems I've discovered are that the bottom mounted PSU means that you have to make sure that the PSU that you buy has long enough lines and that the fan blades seem a bit fragile.

Another good case, one that I've had and used for seven years, is the Chieftech Dragon. Its been through four builds so far, is well built in my opinion, and the big new graphics cards have fit with little problem. I put in a 8800 GTS 640 and there was over an inch room to spare.
October 29, 2007 4:23:21 AM

What's the best case? Well for me that's a tie between the Lian Li V2000Bplus II and the Silverstone TJ-07. I've never been a fan of the Mountain Mod cases, but other people would put them first.
October 29, 2007 11:51:55 PM

I did a lot of research before buying my case... if you have the cash, you can't go wrong with SilverStone. I went with the TJ09 because the HD cage sits outside the box, combined with all of the optional fans, it's a great air-cooled case.
October 30, 2007 12:39:28 AM

Lian Li PC-A71 Case

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/9498/103/
"If you are in the market for a full tower case and you need it to have excellent air circulation, dust filters, plenty of room to work, a removable motherboard tray, lots of drive bays, a sleek look, excellent construction and it has to be all aluminum, than I would strongly recommend checking out the Lian Li PC-A71 Case. There are six 120mm fans and two dust filters at the front, five external 5.25" drive bays and ten 3.5" drive bays. There's no other full tower server case that has these features and weights in at only 9.5kg (21lbs). Watch the video to find out more and check out the bloopers at the end." ~3dGameMan.com
October 30, 2007 12:46:11 AM

Is there a $ limit to your inquiry? If not, I vote for the TJ09. It is just plain and simple a beautiful case.
October 31, 2007 3:01:40 AM

Anyone own the Lian Li PC-A71? It sure looks like the one to get in that price range.
October 31, 2007 3:51:41 AM

I Got The Antec 900 But It's Really Heavy, If You Need A Light Case Try The Ultra Aluminus.i Have Two Computers And The Ultra Has Water Cooling in It And The Antec 900 Is Still Heavier By Far.
October 31, 2007 8:33:49 PM

sephirothx21 said:
Anyone own the Lian Li PC-A71? It sure looks like the one to get in that price range.

This is the almost the one ive been looking at too... Im actually on the PC-A70 which is essentiall the PC-A71 without the door (I dont like doors now since my P180)... It also costs a little less. I am picking this one hands down over the rest, Lian li is quality, Aluminium .... its full tower comes with 6x120mm fans for cooling, choice of PSU top or bottom (or run 2 if you want). Awesome case.
a b ) Power supply
October 31, 2007 10:41:01 PM

Slickdeals.net lists the 900 with an antec quad rail 850w power supply for $179 after rebate. They also list another antec case for about $30 after rebate with 380w ps.
October 31, 2007 10:48:49 PM

I have an Xclio Windtunnel and love it! It has great cooling!

The only problem is that its manual is terrible and it's extremely heavy.
October 31, 2007 11:50:18 PM

Quote:
Cooler Master 690
Tool-less, quiet fans, 8800 SLI certified and not steel like then 900. The 900 would still be a good buy but many say they prefer the 690.
I have to agree with Avenger_K's quote. The Cooler Master 690 is a brand new case from Cooler Master and it comes at a great price. Tons of ventilation. It can hold Seven 120mm fans. The side vent will even take a 140mm fan. The case has mesh panels.

They got a killer special for it on Newegg.com right now while supplies last.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is normally $79, they are selling it for $59, and it has a $20 rebate which makes it $39!

BTW, you should probably forget getting 640MB 8800GTSs, and look at getting the 512MB 8800GTs. Less power, more performance. And the 700MHZ clocked 8800GT models even beat out the 8800GTX by 500 points in the 3D 06Mark. And they cost about half as much. (Here's Proof: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...)

BTW, has anyone seen the new line of Cooler Master Power Supplies that are out? The old ones were nothing special (The RP series), but the new (RS Series) looks really good. Multiple rails, 80 Plus certified, wrap cables, only produces 17 decibels of noise. They finally made a super PSU. This one has 12 reviews and 100% of the reviews rated it 5 eggs.
October 31, 2007 11:52:10 PM

I try not to go crazy over cases, like not spending 300 dollars on a case.
This case is good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... oh yea secc is steal.
I have this and really like it, and it's two fans in the front:
This is just over priced:

But cases are and overall expression of your own individuality, wants and desires.
November 1, 2007 12:03:58 AM

bobbknight said:
I try not to go crazy over cases, like not spending 300 dollars on a case.

He did ask for the best, so I gave it to him. Simple question simple reply.
November 1, 2007 7:24:06 AM

i wish i could have a silverstone TJ09 but i only just bought my case will get on if my propsed sli config gets to hot
November 1, 2007 2:24:40 PM

I'm upgrading my system, and I'm considering a new case as I still have a very old antec 1030sx (=chieftec) which I'm not sure is still adequate for cooling the new components (no side vents on this old case). I have read all the suggestions in this thread, as well as many reviews on the net, and I find it very difficult to find a case :

- Silverstone TJ09: nice looking, but very expensive and not sufficient cooling for the hard drive in my opinion
- CM RC 690: no steel to steel mount for the drives, I hate that. Also don't like the obvious logo neither the cheap looking plastic mesh.
- Antec P900: cooling seems adequate, but I don't like the "gaming"/techie look of the case
- Lian li v1200: a bit original, but looks nice to me. Reported to be high quality, but drive cooling seems questionnable, not all PSUs fit in the case, many reports of troubles with the wiring (too short cables) due to the up-side down motherboard set up, reports of poor quality MB support screwing... This sound like a lot of issues for the asked price :??: 
May be the Lian Li PC60 or PC7 would be a better choice ?

Finally, some other interesting case I found are:
- Chieftec SH-01, very bare looking, looks like a PS/2 80 ;-) (I like that :-) ), heeeeavy (1mm steel, 16+ kg w/o PSU!) *BUT*: some review criticize the general airflow design (in particular the intake fans one the side at the back, which would reduce the front to back air flow in the case). Also, HDD rails are plastic, but I think HDD can nevertheless be screwed directly into the cage.
- Akasa Eclipse 62, also looks old school '80, high quality aluminium case, but quite big and wide.

I would prefer the less expensive Chieftec over the big Akasa Eclipse, but the air flow issue is a wonder. Do you think it is a flawed design? are direct intake from side vents required for current CPUs and GPUs ?

If some of you have experience to share with some other current cases, or comments regarding the Chieftec case or akasa Eclipse, I would be glad to learn from you!

The components I have to build the new system are:
- Intel Q6600 (G0) cpu, with Thermalright XP120 ultra heat sink + artic cooling 120mm fan (cpu will be midly overclocked to 2.8 ghz, may be 3), 2 GB Gskill PQ RAM (CL4 @800mhz FSB), Gigabyte DS3P MB
- 1 nvidia 7900GT GPU
- PSU not yet purchased, likely a 500W seasonic S12

Thanks !
November 1, 2007 4:12:52 PM

I just built with a Lian Li PC7 and it's beautiful. A joy to work with. Stock fans are decently quiet (audible, but not anything more than a slight woosh). It dropped my CPU temp like 8°C from my old POS mATX case.
November 1, 2007 4:27:27 PM

TJ-09
TJ-10
TJ-07
November 1, 2007 4:30:04 PM

My vote for under $100 is the CM R690.
$100-$200: The Xclio Windtunnel.

Those would be the two cases I would get.
November 1, 2007 5:26:02 PM

dustjms said:
I am looking to buy a new PC case that can fit 2 8800 GTS 640's on a 680i A1 mobo, comfortably. I have read good things about the Antec Nine Hundred but they are from back in May. Any thoughts on the best that is out there these days or is that the best one?

Thanks

I have the CM 831 which is the same with 830 regarding space and my 8800GTS fits fine leaving some room at the back also.I dont know for the second slot though.It might be in the way of the hard drive cables.Depends on mobo layout.
Anyway , Stacker great case but the Armor also has more room at the bottom of the case if you`re interested.
November 1, 2007 5:46:02 PM

The SilverStone TJ10 has three places on the fan shoud to support the three graphics cards at the end, so your cards aren't hanging off the mobo.
November 1, 2007 8:53:46 PM

turtle1 said:
TJ-09
TJ-10
TJ-07

Dyslexic

BTW you said SLIed GTS640mb... id be changing that too SLI 8800GT 512mb
November 1, 2007 9:13:10 PM

I would recommend a P182.

However, if you got the money try the P182 watercooled or the P190 (this thing is a beast and supports dual-socket mobos as well).
November 1, 2007 10:00:16 PM

if you are on a budget you should take a look at the coolermaster cm 960
its cheaper than the stackers, silverstones, and the antec 900
November 2, 2007 2:42:44 AM

Kabobi said:
I would recommend a P182.

However, if you got the money try the P182 watercooled or the P190 (this thing is a beast and supports dual-socket mobos as well).

The P190 case design is good but the PSU consideration is pitiful. a 650W for all GPU,CPU and mobo. and 550W for HDD,ODD,FAN... that is NOT load balancing... if only Antec had put some 6/8pin connectors on the 550W PSU. Maybe (i hope) future revisions will recitify this problem that so far everyone seems to bag out.
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2007 3:22:31 AM

LiuKang said:
I did a lot of research before buying my case... if you have the cash, you can't go wrong with SilverStone. I went with the TJ09 because the HD cage sits outside the box, combined with all of the optional fans, it's a great air-cooled case.

Same here. Do what I did, get the TJ09, add three SFF21E fans and a PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad 750W, you'll be all set. Quiet and excellent cooling. Also, get 8800 GT cards, not GTS 640. The GT beats the GTS even though the GTS has more RAM.

a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2007 3:27:10 AM

chookman said:
The P190 case design is good but the PSU consideration is pitiful. a 650W for all GPU,CPU and mobo. and 550W for HDD,ODD,FAN... that is NOT load balancing... if only Antec had put some 6/8pin connectors on the 550W PSU. Maybe (i hope) future revisions will recitify this problem that so far everyone seems to bag out.

Yeah, plus it's noisier than the P182. I wanted to buy the P190 but I liked the TJ09 + Silencer more. There was a rumor than the P190 would be sold without PSUs at some point, but I don't know if they do that yet.
November 2, 2007 3:45:42 AM

I'm going to throw in my vote for the Gigabyte Aurora 3D 570.

Really nice case with plenty of cooling and room and won't break the bank. Plus the bit I love is its amde almost entirely from thick machined aluminium so no breaky bits on it. Sits my 680i mobo, 4 HDD's, 2 burners and 8800gtx with ease. I'm gonna try and take some pics this wken now that I have my pc fully setup how I like with the duorb and ram coolers going in last weekend so I'll try and post some pics on this thread as well so you can have a look.

November 2, 2007 4:15:33 AM

I know im not supposed to do this but... As just a steel heavy duty case which would be the best for cooling? If possible under $150 but just need recommandations.
Any help would be appreciated :D 
November 2, 2007 5:46:08 AM

For air cooling, most would recommend an Aluminum case with 120mm fans. I prefer the design of the Silverstone TJ09 myself. Five, 120mm fans locations, the PS on the bottom so less heat generated close to the CPU, and with 2 fans ontop to help remove the heat as it rises within the case.
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2007 1:00:55 PM

Aluminum conducts heat better than steel, plus it's less likely to break your back if you have to move the case around... Of course, it's also more expensive.
November 3, 2007 1:38:54 AM

:D  Yeah the TJ09 looks nice but is a bit too pricy for me. I think the Antec 900 looks good beacuse its big and is cheap (can get for $75) :)  Thanks for the help :D 
October 1, 2008 6:53:33 PM

Hey... there is a lot of cases listed above... i have thermaltake tsunami dream it's pretty good tower.
BUT! recently i upgraded to intel core2extreme Q6850 and Radeon HD4870X2, all that on maximus formula mobo... i hardly managed to fit video card in that case, and now i have monstrous air heater in my room T_T. atleast its gonna be warm at winter :D ...

can anyone suggest a good full tower for all that hardware with appropriate air flow and not too noisy =/

thx in advance!
October 4, 2008 11:43:23 PM

Mnpctech.com professionally mods cases for their customers. I like a case to be constructed with good materials, all of the folds should be tight, not flex under weight or feel flimsy. I like switches and leds be screwed in, not glued! I won't bother with any case that offers anything smaller than 120mm cooling fans, front and rear. I like a removable HD cage (but not always possible in low range cases. The manufacturers have focused more on silence over recent years. Larger factory included fans (120 & 140mm) that provide good cooling without the excessive fan noise.

Antec 300 Midtower, retail: $39.99 - $49.99
Durable steel construction, Optional 2x 120mm intake fans, factory 140mm top exhaust fan with speed control, 120mm exhaust, removable filter in bezel. PSU located on floor. The only minuses are no removable MB or HD trays, but it's hard to find everything at this price range.

Lian Li PC-7 plus II midtower, retail $89 - $99 online
Lian Li has lead the industry with their superior factory tooling, they make durable aluminum cases. This case has been made for almost 4 years! I've used it for several mod projects. It's very light, but durable. It has a smart, stylish and simple layout, nice grained alum panels. The PC-7 is a good blank canvas for modding. It includes 2x quiet factory 120 front and rear fans, removable filter and HD cage. The switches and leds are easily removable. The only minus is MB tray is not removable.

Video review
October 14, 2008 7:38:46 AM

The best case for cooling and space would have to be the cm-staker 831 by coolermaster. Tonnes of room and it has 9 120 mm fans! 3in front 4 in the side 1 in top and 1 in back. This case is undoubtably the best on the market
October 14, 2008 10:21:31 PM

Anewbie said:
The best case for cooling and space would have to be the cm-staker 831 by coolermaster. Tonnes of room and it has 9 120 mm fans! 3in front 4 in the side 1 in top and 1 in back. This case is undoubtably the best on the market

Thats a big call especially when cases are alot to do with personal preference.

For instance, the Stacker has a front door which i dont like, it weights in at 14kg which is heavy for aluminum case. It may have space for 9 fans but according to the website only comes with 2. and by the looks only 4 x3.25 HDD mounts as standard. front IO only has USB and sound.

In contrast the A7010 Lian Li, has no inconvience of a front door, weights only 7-8kgs. It comes with 6x120mm fans and a fan controller, it has dust filters fitted. Has space for 10hdd's all up with 7 being hot swapable via a tidy PCB. and the front IO panel has USB,Audio, Firewire and eSATA
a c 248 ) Power supply
October 15, 2008 12:03:36 AM

ROFLMAO! This thread is just a few days shy of being one year old! It might be safe to say the individual who started this thread probably purchased a case a long time ago!!!
April 21, 2009 11:30:23 AM

Right now, I'd have to say Coolermaster's ATCS 840 is the king. 6x HD bays with anti vibration, optional installation of water cooling radiators with two or three 120-mm fans directly inside the case. Optional support for two power supplies.
a c 248 ) Power supply
April 21, 2009 4:42:31 PM

Monstermawd - Any particular reason you are responding to a thread that is one and a half years old? I think it's pretty reasonable to say the OP already made a decision and purchased a pc case 18 months ago.
!