quickie questions for the next gens

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Hey guys been about a year or so since i last posted here, it was regarding a home build (my first) and it went flawlessly so i am back for some more help.

now i am going to re-use all my hardware thats not graphics and performance based, so with that said...

whats the real diff if any on the 2 core? intel vs. amd? one better for games?
also is there a new minimum ram requirement for these next gen games or is 2g above and beyond?
(any quick suggestions for a new mobo thats solid? i had a dfi-ultra and really liked it, not to big on oc'ing)
thanks in advance

johnny

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Thanks man, now how about this, in terms of video card generation, how far off are we from a new release of hard ware, and is anything worth waiting for? (id be looking for a $400 card)

also, this may seem stupid but is my old atx case with 500w ps gonna be sufficient for a high end rig?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
What brand PSU?
8800GT is to get release next week ~$250 then there are rumours of the GTS's getting changed as well as AMD releasing the RV670 around nov-dec which should be reasonably priced

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Not sure about PS as I am at school using a laptop and my gamer rig is at home, should be whatever came with this
so i guess its actually only a 450w.

8800GT is to get release next week ~$250 then there are rumours of the GTS's getting changed as well as AMD releasing the RV670 around nov-dec which should be reasonably priced

You think the GTS are getting cheaper or just getting the increase in performance they are hinting at? Also you mentioned AMD above were you meaning ATI?

Now that I am looking seriously at hardware I am confused as to whats 64bit and whats not. Im thinking of getting a q6600 quad core chip, is that 64bit compatible? Also, is any MB that fits the chip automatically 64bit compatible?

Thanks, Johnny

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
The PSU will be tight its an Antec 450w smartpower according to the pic, which has dual rails for about 32amp on 12v. With a Q6600 and a GTS it will be too close i believe.

I think the GTS will get the extra boost with shaders and new gpu. The GT will be an awesome buy

I did mean AMD, they now own ATI and have merged most still say AMD/ATI but i dont its just plain AMD. hell if you type www.ati.com into a browser where do you go... www.amd.com.

Everything you buy now will be 64bit compatible (hardware wise anywayz) some still dont have drivers for 64bit stuff... check that out before buying if you are going 64bit but generally youll be fine.

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
600watts should cover me then eh? Antecs still a solid choice i imagine.

Thanks for all your help man, i will be posting my **** up for one last look over in the next week or 2, so keep an eye out for it.

by the way when did the ati/amd buy-out happen? and for how much was the price? plus whats the general feeling on that? good or bad?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
by the way when did the ati/amd buy-out happen? and for how much was the price? plus whats the general feeling on that? good or bad?

Lol yes it did was like the biggest news around for ages... i think it was something like 5billion... Most say its a good thing, but its gunna take time that AMD might not have.

Antec is solid and a good 600w from them will handle. I like the Trio and NeoHE series.

ginbong46

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Reportedly Advanced Micro Devices is planning to launch new, more powerful version of its flagship graphics card, the Radeon HD 2900. The new version, set to be called Radeon HD 2950PRO, will come in two models -- Gladiator and Revival. The first one will take hard core gamers by storm by featuring 825MHz GPU frequency, memory clock speed of 2.4GHz, and 512MB GDDR4 graphics memory.

It's younger sibling, the Revival, decreases the core clock and memory clock speed to 750MHz and 1.8GHz respectively. It'll come with 256/512MB GDDR3 graphics memory.

source: http://www.pclaunches.com/graphic_cards/amd_to_launch_ati_radeon_hd_2950pro_rv670_graphics_card_in_november.php

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

But didn't they change the naming scheme for the new cards recently? a la HD3700-3800

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
god damn 5 billion? thats outrageous! but i guess its nice that they arent just gonna sit on ati products, and are actually releasing a monster card and a few budget ones. i wonder if they will actually hit that nov deadline, they must be trying to beat crysis to shelves. Is this AMDs first ati launch since the buy-out?

and that leaves me wondering why intel hasnt bought nvidia, i would imagine they have tried but nvidia just wont sell. how much you figure nvidia is worth at this point?

ps
looks like i will be waiting till mid November before i make my finall choices. :)