Do "Factory Overclocked" cards contain better hardware?

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
There seems to be some serious disagreement on this subject. My understanding has always been that factory overclocked cards are in no way physically superior to stock cards. They have just had their BIOS's flashed at the factory with a higher clock and guaranteed to be stable at that speed.

I have heard others say that the "best chips" are saved for the Factory OC versions . Speaking to EVGA directly, I've been told that isn't true but who knows, others here may know different.

So, what do you guys think? Does anyone have the definitive final word on this subject from inside sources?

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Some like the Zotac use higher grade memory modules rather then just over clocking the ones already on there.

Some of the cards probably use higher voltage too, so i expect that stock over clocked cards will over clock to a max, further then a standard card.

As for picking the best... yes I believe EVGA do with their motherboards for t he black pearl versions. so they probably do it with their graphics cards too.

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Its an interesting topic, but I suppose its just luck with the quality if the chip you get, and it probably isnt illegal as the manufactorers dont expect you to overclock as if they can prove it it usually viods the warrenty.

The Gainward 'Golden Sample' card say that they have selected only the chips that passed somes tests.

I'm not worried about more expensive pre-overclcoked editions, as i'd rather save the money and do it myself. Pre-OC are guarentied to work in even the dustiest of case with high ambient temps, but my case has good airflow so i'm ok with ocing the 'lesser' chips.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I had a stock 8800 GTS 640 that I OC'd stable to 710 / 1040 for a 3DMark) score of 10,640 with just an extra PCI exhaust fan blowing out heat, so my experience with stock cards has been good.

I guess factory OC cards have always seemed like kind of a marketing gimmick to me aimed at those who just want to set it and forget it. Sort of an "hey dude, chicks dig me cause I got an 8800 GT SSC" sort of thing.

But, of course, the possibility I am completely wrong at every conceivable level exists :)

Some do some dont and its not always made clear what is what when you buy a card you would probably get a better cooling solution than stock on most pre oced cards, so ther is no definate answer to this thread :)
Mactronix

Sorry mitch i tryed to answer earlier but i have been helping someone move house today,Have to say i dont really have a lot to do with aftermarket cooling my last two cards have been pre oced IceQTurbo cards from HIS.
Obviously Zalman have a good rep i also have been told that the Titan Elena is a decent option but have no personal experiance as i said.
Sorry not to be of more help
Mactronix

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Mac,

I'm expecially interested in the thermo-electric type that take advantage of the peltier effect. These suckers can cool your chip sub-zero without water, but haven't seen one for GPU's yet.

There is always the condensation problem though with anything sub-ambient.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Why would eVGA not admit to putting better parts in them then?
"Speaking to EVGA directly, I've been told that isn't true but who knows, others here may know different."

"Sort of an "hey dude, chicks dig me cause I got an 8800 GT SSC" sort of thing. "

I think we all wish this but it aint true lol i dont know any chicks that would give it up for an OCed GPU lol

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah I just spoke to EVGA again today and they confirmed that all hardware is IDENTICAL. All that is different for $30 extra is a factory OC.

Now one way of looking at it is that they had to find a GPU that would hold a 700 OC and thus, these are the most stable cards, but I don't think they have a "good chips", "bad chips" pile.

Best OC I've seen for the 8800 GT stable so far is 728 Core.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Makes you wonder why they get bought

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
i've actually heard that the peltier coolers were good, but kinda not worth it. as in, they achieved temps that a zalman could achieve on low settings, and on high settings they were noisier than any water radiator+pump, and still didn't surpass water's cooling. and they're really expensive, and huge?

i would guess the whole "huge" part would stop them from being VGA compatible.

Achtungbaby

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Sparkle Calibre cards have TEC's for their cooling solution and come pre-overclocked. Got mine at a lower cost than a standard GTX..... other brands are really crazy priced here in South Africa :pfff: so i bought the Calibre 880+ OC and got regret it.... what an awesome card :)

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Some cards may contain better hardware than regular vanilla cards. I got a EVGA KO superclocked 7900gt, default clock speeds of 580mhz gpu and 780mhz memory. I slapped a zalman vf700 on it and its rock solid stable at 700mhz gpu and 850 mhz memory.

Yeah I know that this card comes with a higher vcore than normal gt's so it doesnt (and did not) need a volt mod, and many gt's can reach these speeds with a volt mod, but I've read that not all people have been able to get this high on their gt's with volt mods and extra cooling (at least on the gpu - the evga card has some quality ram on it) so maybe there is something in the idea that some factory oc'd cards have higher quality gpus and memory on them. ....Or voltage regulation circuitry. hay ho.

There is always going to be a differance in what overclocks people get on what are basically the same card but unfortunatly all chips are not made equal when they make a waffer they test them and the ones that fall into X performance bracket would be the XT version of the card and the ones that fall into the Y bracket are pro cards.
That is simplifying things a bit and i dont know how wide the tollerances are they test to,but if you take the 2900 as an example where the PRO was basically a XT card with a failed XT core,wheather it failed because it couldnt get to the required clocks or was unstable at those speds who knows but some would have failed slightly and some by a lot so the ocing potential is differant for ever card.
With a factory oced card the card is gauranteed to be stable at the clocks it ships at so takes the guess work /risk out of it for those who want the best performance but are uneasy about ocing.
Mactronix

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Mac,

The guys at EVGA deny that they parse their chips between the Factory OC cards and the stock cards. They told me that the only difference would be that they test chips until they find one that will be stable at the factory OC and then use it, but it's not like they have a "good chip" bin and a "bad chip" bin for the same model number (i.e., 8800 GT), but who knows, maybe they are just saying that but it isn't true.

So, do you personally think that it's worth an extra $30 to get the EVGA 8800 GT CSS because of the factory OC to 700 core or no? I mean $30 is no big deal if I am getting value.

P.S., I sure as hell wish I knew what the G92 GTS Benchies will look like, when it is coming out and how much it will cost. Also want to find out if the ATI HD 3870 is the dog all the rumors say it is. I feel uncomfortable buying the 8800 GT until I know that. Why do they make it such a big secret when knowing that could make me wait to buy their's instead of the 8800 GT? How do they benefit from the secrecy?

Hell, if the 8800 GTS G92 is only $305 as has been rumored and I get a full 128 pipes and can beat an Ultra, I definitely want that one instead of the 8800 GT.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Mitch,

You do realize you were supporting MACs claims?

EVGA said that not all Chips could support the Factory OC so they were regulated to use in Std Cards. As a result, EVGA just told you that not all of their Std Cards could achieve Factory OC speeds.

So, with the Factory OC, you are guarenteed a minimum OC level.
With Standard Cards you are not and there are definitely ones that will not meet that level.

If you really know that you wante and need that OC, then $30 may not be a big deal. If you are only hoping or feel the odds are on your side, then go for it.

However, if you read some of the reviews for the 8800GT, I saw successful OCs to 670 and 680 twice on the three reviews I read.
So clearly, expecting to reach 700 on a factory stock card is definitely no sure thing.

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007

NO ... NO .... NO ----- :sol: Not better or more stable ... depends on the chip .... some more overclockable as it has always been . Remember the more overclocked the hotter and don't last as long ..... they are hoping most buy a new card before it burns itself up . Lord I remember when video cards lasted many years before self destructing and some never did ... have a few antique ones laying in a box somewhere ----- :pt1cable: .... GOD all that money

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007

What's next .... a window air conditioner with a direct vent fastened and sealed directly to the air input of the case ???? LOL --- Believe it or not saw one such hookup ----- :lol: The guy ran plastic dryer hose from the air conditioner right to the case ! Overkill ... yes .... did it work .... SURE DID !! And it only cost him 2 dollars .