GA-X38-DQ6 and Vista 64 - sickening

sixgun

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Seems like after doing all the research and looking at other people's configs - I am amazed that this company can claim this board is supports Vista!!

I put the system together, it POSTED great, set up optimized per the manual, checked, re-checked, and everything else, then set up RAID - PASS no issues. Went to install Vista 64, made it all the way to the final step - smoothly - thought I had a winner. Then the system rebooted and I got the first BSOD.

I talked to gigabyte and they said use Q-Flash to update to ver 5f - did it, via floppy( the floppy cable supplied with the mobo was bad - there went another hour of BS) the system rebooted and then some message came on the screen that said "attempting to recover bios from hard drive" - yeah right - then it was a brick.

Now the computer just powers up for 5 seconds, turn the fans on, flash the leds on the DVD drives and then does it again... and again... and again.

What a frustrating POS. I should have went with my gut and just went with an Intel MOBO. My bad for trying state of the art.

Aside from an RMA - is there ANYTHING I can do to restore the BIOS? This computer does nothing - so CDRom, Floppy booting is worthless. The so called quad bios safety is a friggin joke - they should be prosecuted for lying to us - if it actually worked the BIOS would have crashed and rolled back to the original version - apparently - it looks on hard drives that had not even been set up yet !

sixgun

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Sorry - config info: for above post

GA-x38-dq6
Q6600
OCZ OCZ2N1066SR2GK (right off the supported memory list)
2 Raptor 150 GB Drives, SATA
2 Samsung DVD Drives SATA
1 FDD
1 ASUS 7900GT Top GPU
Vista 64

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If it can't read from the floppy, or get back to Q-flash then RMA it. It seems like a series of unfortunate events. I don't know that the Intel board will be any better.

Good luck

Herdwick

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I might have had a similar problem when I used @BIOS to update the BIOS on my GA-X38-DQ6. After the update was installed the system failed to POST. I cleared the CMOS using the jumpers on the mobo and then it worked OK. Have you tried this?