Nview - Outputting to TV - Question / Issue

marachai

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Hey All,

Not sure anyone will be able to answer this, but couldnt think of anywhere better to try :)

My brother recently asked me to connect his old machine to his TV so he can use it to watch stuff. I've done this many times before with my own system, but always with a more up to date graphics card, and always with ATI software.

He has a real old FX 5700 and is connecting to his monitor across the vga port. I connected the TV to this card with S-video cable. When I launch the nvidia control panel, it can see a TV has been added, but it wont give me any options other than a single display. No clone options or the likes. He is running the latest version of drivers if that makes a difference.

I know his TV works fine as I've connected my system to it. When I have his connected, I can get the sound ok from his sound card to the TV, just no options to output the picture to the TV.

Anyone got any idea's why i dont have the options ? All help and advice is much greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I've had similar problems in the past with old gf cards. When you restart windows does your tv get at least the standard windows logo and then not work? If not unplug the monitor and try just the tv and restart.

Its been such a long time since I had this problem, I''m not sure if it was windows (what version by the way) or gfc drivers.

By restarting with just the TV connected it should change the display to the tv... I never did get my old (btw ati) card to work with extended desktop

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I've got my home theater pc hooked up through the s-video and I run older drivers.
The new control panel on the new drivers doesn't have many options in it. So I went with older drivers since it's not going to play any high end games...

marachai

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Thanks for the replies :) Thats pretty damn fast.

I just tried booting up the pc with nothing but the TV connected, and I got a black and white version of the machine starting from bios post all the way in to windows. So it seems that the s-video is working on the card at least, though not sure why it was black and white (Although I did notice its using the 4 pin s-video and not the nine my ATI card uses, so thought perhaps that might be the reason ? )

The machine isnt being used for anything other than internet stuff, so I could install an older driver if it would give me the clone options. Atm it has XP SP2 installed with the very latest forceware drivers .... Hmmm 163. I think was the version.

Thanks again :)

marachai

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Hi All,

Does anyone have a suggestion for which driver version to try ? And where I might be able to find it.

I appreciate any help and advice given :) thanks