Sign in with
Your question

Video problem driving me crazy!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2007 2:09:48 PM

Please help!!! I recently put a new system together with the following specs:
EVGA NF68 680i SLi - Intel E6850 Dual Core @ 3Ghz - Crucial Ballistix (2x1GB) PC8500 (1065) - Leadtek WinFast PX8800 GTX w/768MB - Antec TruPower 650W - WD 320GB SATA2 - Samsung SATA DVD/RW - Zalman CNPS9500 CPU cooler - Antec Nine Hundred Case - Samsung SyncMaster 226BW Monitor
For the first 30 days, all was good. Then I started having intermittent video lockups. I tried latest drivers from manufacturer (Leadtek) & those from NVidia. Tried reinstall MB drivers, Bios updates, DirectX and the problem just seemed to get worse. The 3D tests in DXDIAG would fail as well. Finally, after trying to update BIOS, video card no longer had any type of display. I thought it may be a problem with the MB since this happened immediately after updating BIOS. I sent the MB back to EVGA & they promptly sent a replacement. Same problem!!! So then I sent the video card back to Leadtek (avoid them like the plague as their service is not quite up to par - I was without video for over 2 weeks). After I finally received the card, (noticed it was the same one I sent so I assume they repaired it but no communication from them) the machine again booted up & I have video.
I cleaned out all drivers, booted to safe mode, used Driver Cleaner Pro, rebooted & reloaded all latest drivers from MB manufacturer for the MB & latest NVidia video drivers. Ran 3D Mark 06 a few times & all seemed fine once again. That is until I started playing Tiger Woods 07. Played it a couple of times & then it would start locking up with strange sound. I could Alt Tab back to Windows & end TW07. I can play Nascar 2003/2005 & 1nsane for hours with no problems. I played the Crysis demo for a few hours with no problems but once I load up TW07, it freezes again. I started to assume that maybe I need to uninstall & reinstall TW07. Until, I loaded Race 07. It's doing the exact same thing! Freezes up! I loaded 3DMark again & it fails intermittently. Sometimes it goes through all the way, sometimes it fails on the first test.
I dual boot to Vista Ultimate which has only required drivers, RivaTuner & 3DMark06. The machine locks up during 3DMark tests as well so I do not suspect a WindowsXP problem. In XP, I have also experienced 1 or 2 BSOD referencing NV4_DISP which leads me to believe this is some sort of video card/driver problem.
About the only thing I know to try now is to go out & buy another $500 video card for testing. I have run Orthos for over an hour with no problems detected & CPU temps never going above 47C. (29C at rest). I have reset bios to all factory defaults & have never tried OC'ing this thing.
I have always been an AMD, ASUS, ATI guy but when I was ready to build this fantastic new machine & after doing research, I found that Intel's dual core were consistently outperforming AMD. I had also heard that ASUS may have been having a quality issue lately so I decided to go Intel & NVidia. Maybe I made a mistake!!!
If anyone can help me please step up! I'm starting to feel like I'll never get this thing stable without spending a lot more money!!!
November 5, 2007 11:49:20 AM

tooltime63 said:
Please help!!! I recently put a new system together with the following specs:
EVGA NF68 680i SLi - Intel E6850 Dual Core @ 3Ghz - Crucial Ballistix (2x1GB) PC8500 (1065) - Leadtek WinFast PX8800 GTX w/768MB - Antec TruPower 650W - WD 320GB SATA2 - Samsung SATA DVD/RW - Zalman CNPS9500 CPU cooler - Antec Nine Hundred Case - Samsung SyncMaster 226BW Monitor
For the first 30 days, all was good. Then I started having intermittent video lockups. I tried latest drivers from manufacturer (Leadtek) & those from NVidia. Tried reinstall MB drivers, Bios updates, DirectX and the problem just seemed to get worse. The 3D tests in DXDIAG would fail as well. Finally, after trying to update BIOS, video card no longer had any type of display. I thought it may be a problem with the MB since this happened immediately after updating BIOS. I sent the MB back to EVGA & they promptly sent a replacement. Same problem!!! So then I sent the video card back to Leadtek (avoid them like the plague as their service is not quite up to par - I was without video for over 2 weeks). After I finally received the card, (noticed it was the same one I sent so I assume they repaired it but no communication from them) the machine again booted up & I have video.
I cleaned out all drivers, booted to safe mode, used Driver Cleaner Pro, rebooted & reloaded all latest drivers from MB manufacturer for the MB & latest NVidia video drivers. Ran 3D Mark 06 a few times & all seemed fine once again. That is until I started playing Tiger Woods 07. Played it a couple of times & then it would start locking up with strange sound. I could Alt Tab back to Windows & end TW07. I can play Nascar 2003/2005 & 1nsane for hours with no problems. I played the Crysis demo for a few hours with no problems but once I load up TW07, it freezes again. I started to assume that maybe I need to uninstall & reinstall TW07. Until, I loaded Race 07. It's doing the exact same thing! Freezes up! I loaded 3DMark again & it fails intermittently. Sometimes it goes through all the way, sometimes it fails on the first test.
I dual boot to Vista Ultimate which has only required drivers, RivaTuner & 3DMark06. The machine locks up during 3DMark tests as well so I do not suspect a WindowsXP problem. In XP, I have also experienced 1 or 2 BSOD referencing NV4_DISP which leads me to believe this is some sort of video card/driver problem.
About the only thing I know to try now is to go out & buy another $500 video card for testing. I have run Orthos for over an hour with no problems detected & CPU temps never going above 47C. (29C at rest). I have reset bios to all factory defaults & have never tried OC'ing this thing.
I have always been an AMD, ASUS, ATI guy but when I was ready to build this fantastic new machine & after doing research, I found that Intel's dual core were consistently outperforming AMD. I had also heard that ASUS may have been having a quality issue lately so I decided to go Intel & NVidia. Maybe I made a mistake!!!
If anyone can help me please step up! I'm starting to feel like I'll never get this thing stable without spending a lot more money!!!

Maybe I'm wrong on this but here goes .... heard alot of folks having problems with the SAMSUNG monitors . Are you sure the card is'nt heating and frying or is your power supply adequate .... don't know what all you have draining the supply . Have you added any new components that may be using available power you did'nt have on it before ? Alot of folks add on usb and drives later and lose power and cause problems . :non: 
!