Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overvoltage Control on Gigabyte DS3L

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 1, 2008 2:23:34 AM

I am getting ready to OC my Q6600 on theDS3L, and I've done a bunch of reading (including the OC guide here)... but I can't find out what these two functions do, exactly:

FSB OverVoltage Control
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control

Why would I up these? And at what point in the OC process?

Thanks in advance!
February 1, 2008 2:25:07 AM

Don't touch those unless you plan on OCing really high. Leave them on auto.
February 1, 2008 2:38:36 AM

Define "really high". :) 

My end goal is to get to 3.6Ghz. I know... if you gotta ask, don't touch it.

But I'm trying to learn. The only way to figure this all out is to get in there and get messy.
Related resources
February 1, 2008 2:41:19 AM

Well, setting it on auto will be fine for those speeds. You may want to set it manually, say +.1 or +.2 if it becomes unstable, but otherwise I believe it'll be fine leaving it on auto.
February 7, 2008 11:39:02 AM

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control i believe is your NB. I had to up mine to get my Q6600 stable at 3.6GHz.

There's a nice long overclocking guide around somewhere on the net for overclocking Gigabyte boards which goes into more detail than you can shake a stick at.
February 7, 2008 1:12:39 PM

Hmmmm... you don't happen to remember where it was, do you? I've seen the limited one here... and searching for "overclock" "gigabyte" and "guide" (and variations on those terms) hasn't brought up much in google, except for a bunch of threads talking about how hard it is to overclock, and all the random failures people have when trying to do so.

(Sigh)
February 7, 2008 2:12:45 PM

Thusly I hate Gigabyte.. anyways.

GMCH = Memory Controller Host = North Bridge.

Stock is either 1.25 or 1.3 (can't remember off the top of my head) on a P35 base chipset and X38.

Increasing it will allow you to run a higher FSB and you will probably need it bumped to get 400 MHz FSB.

FSB Voltage is the CPU VTT Voltage. You shouldn't need to touch it for 400 MHz FSB. VTT is the termination voltage for signalling on the motherboard for use as a logical high/low (0/1). Normally (according to Intel) changing the VTT is "forcing" an overclock and could be done just as easily by manipulating GTL Refs (which are reference voltages by which the logical high/low are determined and are %'s of the VTT).

Anyways.. yea.
February 7, 2008 9:16:43 PM

At least Gigabyte uses quality parts, or so they say. Ultra Durable 2 they call it?
February 9, 2008 5:46:16 AM

to hit a 400 fsb on this board ,what fsb voltage should we use then?
i currently set mine on .15 and mch on .35
still i cant get past 266 fsb though . even though the same ram and cpu on my maximus formula gives me a 450fsb.
am i missing something? vcore is at 1.5 as recommended on anandtech. dram is set at 300 .
i have cpuid etc all disabled as well. its like hit and miss with this board some can overclock some cant. weird .

gigabyte ga-9g5p-ds4 rev1 f10 / 2x1gb ddr2 1066 crucial ballistix /x6800 core2 / 8800 gt /supreme fx II /2x80 gb raptors /thermaltake 850watt psu / zalman 7900 nt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 9, 2008 6:23:30 PM

adya said:
to hit a 400 fsb on this board ,what fsb voltage should we use then?
i currently set mine on .15 and mch on .35
still i cant get past 266 fsb though . even though the same ram and cpu on my maximus formula gives me a 450fsb.
am i missing something? vcore is at 1.5 as recommended on anandtech. dram is set at 300 .
i have cpuid etc all disabled as well. its like hit and miss with this board some can overclock some cant. weird .

gigabyte ga-9g5p-ds4 rev1 f10 / 2x1gb ddr2 1066 crucial ballistix /x6800 core2 / 8800 gt /supreme fx II /2x80 gb raptors /thermaltake 850watt psu / zalman 7900 nt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dram is set to 300? What does that mean? 600MHz?
February 11, 2008 3:30:31 AM

.300v thats what it reads and apparently its the minimum dimm voltage needed for this board , to reach anything past a 333 fsb. thats what i was told anyway.
ive given up on this board im chucking it out. so sick of it . even if set the fsb to 275 and run prime , everest memtest etc and there all stable . the nxt day when i power up it resets everything.
makes want to punch the **** out of this board. and i know its the board becuase ive used the same cpu ram etc on my maximus without any issues? its like some ds4 are fine some are ****? do they do this on purpose to discourage overclocking ? maybe they want to limit how many overclock so they can sell newer models ? must be some reason but its sus thats for sure.
February 11, 2008 4:59:56 AM

adya, since you're using a different MB than the topic of this thread, it's best to start your own thread rather than try to change this one. Are you sure you have a "ga-9g5p-ds4" MB? I wasn't able to find that model using google.
Also, what is the voltage spec on your RAM? Much Ballistix has a 2.2V spec, which sounds like it would be +0.400V on your board instead of +0.300V.

February 11, 2008 12:26:28 PM

Mondoman said:
adya, since you're using a different MB than the topic of this thread, it's best to start your own thread rather than try to change this one. Are you sure you have a "ga-9g5p-ds4" MB? I wasn't able to find that model using google.
Also, what is the voltage spec on your RAM? Much Ballistix has a 2.2V spec, which sounds like it would be +0.400V on your board instead of +0.300V.



sorry about that, i wasnt paying attention before post replying. ive being posting on so many threads/sites i lost track and forgot what thread this was. here is a new thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246049-29-965p-rev1-a...

February 13, 2008 3:49:15 PM

adya said:
.300v thats what it reads and apparently its the minimum dimm voltage needed for this board , to reach anything past a 333 fsb. thats what i was told anyway.
ive given up on this board im chucking it out. so sick of it . even if set the fsb to 275 and run prime , everest memtest etc and there all stable . the nxt day when i power up it resets everything.
makes want to punch the **** out of this board. and i know its the board becuase ive used the same cpu ram etc on my maximus without any issues? its like some ds4 are fine some are ****? do they do this on purpose to discourage overclocking ? maybe they want to limit how many overclock so they can sell newer models ? must be some reason but its sus thats for sure.


I'm confused because your seem confused as to why a $100 budget board doesn't perform as well as the $240 board?
I think the reason is cost. :hello: 
!