Sign in with
Your question

Homebuild Vs Alienware

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2007 4:04:54 PM

Hiya Guys

I am just about to fork out £800ish for a new gaming Rig.

Looking at the alienware site, they have some pretty impressive PCs. They cost a bit more, but they do have a rather attractive finance option.

It'll end up costing me a bit more in the long run, but it does mean I can save money now, and not be skint for the next 3 months!

My question, is it worth going finance, and alienware?
Or am i better off shelling out for the new build.

Cheers!
DB

More about : homebuild alienware

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2007 4:38:25 PM

If it were me, I would build my own. Have you built PCs before, and/or are you comfortable doing so? I think you'll be able to get better parts, and know exactly what you have and why, if you build your own.
October 23, 2007 4:52:33 PM

If you know what your doing I would definitely recommend building your own.
i have built my own and i can tell you there are many advantages. you can easily change or upgrade parts and you have a much more specified and detailed choice in components meaning you can get exactly what you want. for £800 you should get some nice gaming kit.

Alienware make very solid kit but it will cost you more, giving you less for your hard earned £££££. Building your own is a lot more fun! :D 
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2007 4:52:53 PM

Build it your self ,u can save alot of money
October 23, 2007 4:56:02 PM

just to give a comparison,
When I built my PC, after all was done, it cost me $1,050 Canadian dollars, not including monitor. I built a comparable system on the Alienware website, and for roughly the same performance, it would cost me about $1800 canadian dollars, no monitor. For Alienware, keep in mind you're paying quite a bit just for their brandname. If possible, I'd suggest buying individual components online, and if not online, at your favourite local store, and assemble the PC yourself. You'll have great satisfaction in knowing you built it yourself, and you'll also save a large chunk of money.
October 23, 2007 5:09:06 PM

Build it yourself, at least if you have a problem you don't have to rely on other people. People get locked into the mindset that if there is a little problem, the company HAS to fix it, making BIG problems for you.

I was at FutureShop and some kid had a defective HDD, they told him over the counter that it would take 6-8 weeks to fix. He said, "Can't you just give me another HDD?" but he was forced to bring in the complete system. What a pain in the butt.

I freak out when stuff like that happens to me, I'd rather fix it myself. Bad DIMM of RAM? Fixed in 10 mins, RMA the old RAM and have your system immediately. If you buy a DELL or an Alienware, would you have to send it back INSURED by FedEX? That would SUCK.

Sorry, computers are pretty easy to fix to have a middleman screwing around with me.
October 23, 2007 5:12:14 PM

I know I don't have the best budget type, but just to give you an idea:

E4400 - $126 free shipping
Tuniq HS - $57 free shipping
2gig A-DATA 4CL - 90 (30 rebate) $4.99 shipping
320 HD seagate SATA2 - $79.99 free shipping
AreoCool PC case - 78.00 free shipping
P6N Platinum OEM (only MB) - $79.99 + $7.61 shipping
Zalman Fan controller - $30
620W PSU - $115 free shipping

Above total - $608.58

Now the video card basically threw me over.. :lol: 

Evga 8800 GTS 320mb - $325 (15 rebate)

Grand total without Monitor / keyboard / mouse / OS:

$918.58

I thought I did okay for my new build after 6 years.
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2007 6:46:19 PM

I prefer to build my own PC. While it can cost less than buying a brand name, it is not for everyone especially if you do not want to be your own tech support.

I like to build my own PC because I want specific parts (sometimes regardless of the cost). Therefore, it is built to my needs and specs.
October 23, 2007 6:55:38 PM

Build it yourself.
October 23, 2007 7:12:09 PM

Grimmy said:
I know I don't have the best budget type, but just to give you an idea:

E4400 - $126 free shipping
Tuniq HS - $57 free shipping
2gig A-DATA 4CL - 90 (30 rebate) $4.99 shipping
320 HD seagate SATA2 - $79.99 free shipping
AreoCool PC case - 78.00 free shipping
P6N Platinum OEM (only MB) - $79.99 + $7.61 shipping
Zalman Fan controller - $30
620W PSU - $115 free shipping

Above total - $608.58

Now the video card basically threw me over.. :lol: 

Evga 8800 GTS 320mb - $325 (15 rebate)

Grand total without Monitor / keyboard / mouse / OS:

$918.58

I thought I did okay for my new build after 6 years.

Technically, he is using the euro/british pount. So, you are actually under. ;) 

Anyways, every single person in this forum is going to tell you to build it yourself. I mean it's called Homebuilt. The thing is, most of what they are saying is quite true. If you build it yourself, you are going to get alot more preformance for your money.

A computer is a computer though. If buying one without a payment plan is going to screw you, then I wouldn't buy it.

If buying a computer from alienware/building one by yourself doesn't appeal to you, there are always places that will build one for you.
October 23, 2007 7:32:20 PM

:lol: . o O (I hate it when i dont take the location in mind)
October 23, 2007 7:41:25 PM

Building is the way to go. I wish I had waited until I learned how to build a pc and built my own. I bought an HP media center for 1400 bucks US. It's a great PC but they stuck me with some very standard parts. I find out that my PSU is 300W, so I can't upgrade my video card (AMD X300 128mb PCI-E card.....ugh). I can't upgrade my PSU until I finish paying this sucker off in case it messes up. My next PC will be a homebuild because they are cheaper and more powerful than consumer or gamer pre-built PCs.
October 23, 2007 8:19:25 PM

No question: BUILD IT YOURSELF. If you spend the hours building and configuring it, you will appreciate it much more. Plus it will cost less, so with money you save, go out and buy yourself a ridiculously large LCD monitor or HDTV. The learning curve can be frustrating, but nothing compares to a homebrew PC, so don't be shy. And that's why Tom's is here, we can help you with any problems you run into.
October 23, 2007 8:33:39 PM

Build it yourself. As long as you don't get any DOA parts, it's quite easy, as long as you plug everything into the right slots.
October 23, 2007 8:54:58 PM

Building it your self is very fun when done correctly. As stated above, you get much more satisfaction when it's complete and it runs great. You made this! If it's your first time building - READ SOME TUTORIALS!!! lol, I can't stress this enough. When I built my first computer I looked at the pegs you put in the case for the motherboard to rest on.. and said "wtf is this, I don't need these" and attached my motherboard right to the back of the metal case. :D  I'll never make that mistake again. Hahaha
October 23, 2007 9:44:22 PM

Build it yourself or get it built at your local computer shop. Not futureshop or bestbuy. Even if you order it from a site dont get it from Alienware wayyyyyyyy to expensive. Only thing worth it is the case.
October 23, 2007 9:51:04 PM

ALIENWARE?????!!! damn i hate those motherfucks cuz they are so expensive and you can get a lot high end parts with that money dawg
October 23, 2007 9:58:20 PM

I can't believe the forums don't block out "#####", but the "s word" is all asterisks.

Edit: ;) 
October 23, 2007 10:15:20 PM

aadamszc said:
I can't believe the forums don't block out "######", but the "s word" is all asterisks.

Because mutterhumper is not a common word.
October 23, 2007 10:30:54 PM

Yep, everyone here will tell you to build it. Many would also tell you to overclock it too. I also like to add that 3months later, technology gets cheaper.
October 24, 2007 7:38:13 PM

In addition to the multitude of reasons that people are giving for you to build it yourself, I have another:

Later, after a few years of service, when this machine needs to have something repaired... you will be quite familiar with it's innards. It is far easier from an ownership point of view if you in fact did your own build- easier over and over again. Most of the people that I know that can rattle off every spec of their machines can because they chose and installed each part. This helps when you are buying new hardware, and it helps when you are discussing a problem with another enthusiast.

It also helps with confidence.
October 24, 2007 8:04:31 PM

Build one just for the experience. You might make a few mistakes but in the end you will gain a new perspective on PCs. The downside may be that you won't be able to keep your hands out of it and become a upgrade junky like most on THG. In the long run the Alienware may be cheaper! LOL
October 24, 2007 8:25:32 PM

And about the financing options.

I personally would never do that. It makes more sense to save the money before you buy it for several reasons. The first is that by the time you have the money you need, you can probably get better parts than when you were first interested because of price drops. And second, if you pay it off monthly, you are paying for old technology! In a year or however long it will be, you will be paying the top price for technology that is a year old. And you have interest and stuff.

So don't go with financing options. if you want a little more, just save up for a little bit longer.
October 24, 2007 9:44:18 PM

*Agrees with yadge* Don't get alienware get another brand IBUYPOWER or something
October 24, 2007 10:20:36 PM

Fred Sanford or Richie Rich?
October 25, 2007 2:27:30 PM

Yeah, I built my last PC, and I had a budget of £800.
It ended up costing me around £1500 (Thats nearly $3000!).

I only have around £400 on me at the moment, so I may have to take advantage of DABs finance option for the parts.
You can buy now, and as long a you pay them before 9 months, it costs you 0 intrest!

I can feel another new build coming on.
Cheers for the advice guys!
DB
October 25, 2007 3:24:57 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
what????????

What?
!