CPU Fan stopping e6750

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Is my CPU fan / heatsink defective?

I have a C2D e6750 2.66ghz G0 Stepping

And as some know, it automatically throttles the CPU to a lower frequency (2.0 GhZ) when under minimal load.

However, one day I decided to open my case and look inside and saw that the fan came to a complete stop. It would stop and then start spinning again in a minute or so, and after a couple of minutes (10-15) it would stop, and the cycle would repeat.

Now it doesn't do it as much, but I think it still stops once in a while and I'm just not lucky enough to catch it because I don't have the time to bend down and wait 15 min for it to stop =P.

Should I contact the store and ask for a replacement or is this normal? I'm about to OC but before I do that, I need to make sure that my 2 month old CPU is fine. Thanks.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
If you set the throttling off in the BIOS and it still does this.
Replace the HSF.
Otherwise if this still happens then it is either the MOBO or PSU.
You will have to troubleshoot to see which one.

My hunch is that if this is the only anomaly, then it is the HSF.

highlandmoose

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Hi,

I have this with my e6300 B stepping with stock fan when starting the pc - it takes a few minutes before the cpu is warm enough to require the fan to come on. If you have an aftermarket heatsink then I guess its possible that when idling the cpu is so cool that the motherboard reduces the voltage to the fan - which in some cases causes the fan to stop altogether.

What I would suggest is running a cpu intensive benchmark such as prime 95 and seeing if it still happens - if so it might be a faulty HSF.

hope this helps - Richard.

I've heard of this on a ds3 board I think, it has a mechanism to make the pc more more quiet by stopping the fan, I can't recall what they called it. There was a problem in that sometimes it would not start up again properly and would only do so when a significant temp had been reached, as opposed to starting slowly after a mild temp had been reached. If you have that functionality you could turn it off, I imagine it is a combination of the starting current of the fan and characteristics of the signal the mobo sends to the fan to start it off.

As nightwolf said, what have you got?

colster

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Hi all

If CPU throttling back make sure you have the relevent functions in the bios disabled. I have the Gigabyte DS3 and in my bios the functions are as follows below: make sure you disable these if you want to overclock in the future. Your bios entrys may be different depending on the mobo. :) :)

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)(Note) [Enabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) (Note) [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function (Note) [Enabled]

It may not have been the DS3 then, but there is one board that does stop the fan (quite correctly), and has trouble restarting it. It is a feature from the manufacturer, and specific to 1 manufacturer from what I recall.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

I don't think its speed step (C1E/EIST) that's causing the CPU fan to stop. Not sure about your bios, but my MSI also has smart fan feature, which perhaps yours does as well.

Look for the section for smart fan. Basically it setup to run at/turn on certain temps.

Edit:

This was from my manual:

CPU Smart FAN Target
The mainboard provides the Smart Fan function which can control the CPU fan speed
automatically depending on the current temperature to keep it with in a specific range.
You can select a fan target value here. If the current CPU fan temperature reaches to
the target value, the smart fan function will be activated. It provides several sections
to speed up for cooling down automaticlly.

Try reading your manual for you MB.