Kmixer.sys CPU usage and choppy video play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persian Pride

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hello guys, I just joined this forum since I was having problems with my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. Intel Pentium M processor (1.8 GHz) and 2GB RAM. I have a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card.

I just recently reformatted my laptop and couldn't help but notice the horrible video playback. I did a few things such as installing DirectX, updating flash player, and unchecking all non-microsoft related startup processes (msconfig).
My laptop sometimes does great and plays my game at 20-30 FPS, but then after a few minutes, the FPS drops to about 3.
Same with watching videos. It's like looking at pictures really. Thats how bad the choppiness is.

So I decided to do some investigation and installed Process Explorer to look into detail. Turns out that under the System process, there is a thread called kmixer.sys which is a driver for a soundcard I guess. This one thing has spikes in CPU usage up to 70% sometimes.
Another thread to look at under Svchost is krnl or kernel something. Also uses quite a bit sometimes.

I wanted to see if anyone could possibly help me as I would greatly appreciate it. I looked at just about every forum there is about my problems, and still haven't gotten a solid solution yet.

Thank you in advance,
SK

Status
Not open for further replies.