bluegraphiks

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I recently built this system...:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Foxconn FV-N88SMBD2-ONOC GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail

Sony NEC Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler - Retail

XION Onyx XON-303 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

Now the problem is that I can't install windows vista home premium on it. I think it has something to do with the DVD rom drive,
Now my moniter does not show anything when i plug it into my graphics card, it just says "check signal cable (colors) digital"
And my sony nec DVD rom has no audio cable (4 pin), since it's oem, but i connected it with the IDE cable that came with MSI motherboard.
So I figure the audio cable isnt so imprtant, since it's only for audio, but whenever i try to open the disk drive, it wont open.
now there is a power supply cable connected to it, BUT when i remove the IDE cable, the drive is able to open and operate alone with just the power suply cable
i tested it with a audio cable i found in an old computer, and still same results.

also, i have the lite on burner, which specifically says it can read AND write cd/dvds, but nothing happens when i put the os cd in there.
perhaps i just cant see it on the monitor... but what should i do?

And top it off with that, my monitor detects my computer, it just doesnt show anything.
I have no idea what is wrong, and i did ground myself at all times while putting together the parts.

I would LOVE help
please, and thank you :??:

bluegraphiks

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
also, i tested an old cd drive with an old ide connector and the same thing happens also...

im getting a feeling its the motherboard....

hunter_green32

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
There is usually an aux power molex plug on higher end video cards. Never used an 8800 GTS, so I dont know if you need that or not. Check the board for a white molex connector. Also, check your monitor cable on a different monitor and machine. Regarding the DVD- is it jumpered correctly? (master/slave settings). IDE cables are typically manufactured by crimping a connector onto a ribbon cable... the connector has little blades that cut through the insulation to make the connection. It's not the best system, but it is cheap- these connectors are notorious for going bad, so trying a different cable may help.