How do you connect 2 power supplies to work in tandem?

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Rather than buy 1 big power supply I want to connect two Power supplies to work in one computer. I know it can be done just want to know how to do it correctly. I want one PS to run just the video cards (and maybe the hard drives)and the other PS to run the motherboard. I am going to be putting this in a huge (4 space) rack mount case that has tons of room and a a lot of cooling with a seperate compartment for the Power supplies. will be using the following components

Maximus Formula SE
Quad Intel CPU 1066/1333 not sure yet - I can wait for the 1333
Dual ATI Video cards
Intel Matrix Raid 4 HDD's

Thanks

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oooph.. that would be a tricky thing to try.

I'd prolly get a toggle switch that would be hooked up with 1 PSU, that would be hooked up with the green / black (24 pin molex) wire (back PSU switch would be left on). While the other would be hooked up with the MB and be turn on like normally would.

Here's a guide to turn on a PSU without the MB:

Tutorials | Turn on PSU without motherboard - the 'paperclip trick'

So basically the toggle switch would replace the paper clip. :lol:

Maybe someone else would have a better idea though. :D

i would probably put a little switch on the extra psu as said. you can even make a nice hole in your case and link it to the front and make it look nifty.

you could go hardcore too and put a transistor on the mobo psu that completes the switch circuit to the extra psu when the first one's powered on.

the first one's cheaper and easier though.

I did the switch version once for a raid 0+1 array on an old computer.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

OOoooooo... never knew. That looks like a clean way. :D

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
IR_Efrem,

Thanks, That is the solution I was looking for. One of the good but former Techs Guru's at Compusa (Brian Downey) had done it but he has moved on and I do not know where to find him. I knew it was an elegant simple safe solution. Thanks again IR_Efrem for the find.