External HDD USB Issue

Kemik

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Hello,

I have been using my Icy Box (IB-360AStUS-B-BL) via eSata for the past year. However, I bought a MacBook Pro and needed to connect it via USB. I've tried this and it doesn't appear anywhere on the Mac. So, I've tried connecting it to my Windows machine via USB. The pop-up saying mass storage device has been connected appears but it doesn't show up in My Computer. If I go to Disk Management it appears there but says "unreadable" and "unknown". If I use eSata it's great and works like any other hard drive so it seems like this is a USB issue.

Do you have any suggestions? E.g. Does Windows Vista need drivers to use the caddie via USB? Could the USB cable be faulty? Could the USB port on the caddie be faulty?

This isn't a machine problem as three computers (two Vista, one Mac) all show the same thing. I would have found out about this problem earlier but I haven't used the USB cable until yesterday.

Kemik

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I don't understand what you mean. I'm only using one of the ports (USB in this case). On the back of the caddie there is an eSata port and then a USB port.

Are you saying if I format the drive with an eSata cable the hard drive will only be recognisable when using a eSata cable and if I use a USB cable to format it will only be recognisable with a USB cable?

Kemik

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I got it. Thanks. It's a bit silly having to change them. Might still invest in a small NAT and then use this for when I move out for uni in September.