My 8800gt is crashing. Need help...

denisim

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hi, I've finally built my new system over the weekend. I've already had a couple of problems:(. I get one warning from XP saying that one USB device is getting to much voltage, and the Asus 8800gt crashes on both Crysis and HL2 ep.1. It just freezes the whole system and the display becomes reddish. My components are:

Corsair HX520
Asus P5k p35
Q6600 go stock cooling
2 Gb A-Data Vitesta Extreme 4-4-4-12
I've got one 120 mm fan front, one 140 mm fan on the side, and one 80 mm rear.
Asus 8800gt latest drivers.

How do I troubleshoot this thing? I dont know where to begin and google hasnt helped this far.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I have no idea but just out of curiosity, what usb devices do you have connected?

I guess start by unplugging and replacing usb devices or trying them on another pc to make sure it isn't the device.

Wild &ss guess... possibly a corrupt driver telling the mobo to give more power to a usb device. See if all the device drivers are certified.

Be sure that you don't have a fire wire cable crossed over on a USB port or visa versa.

That will mess up your system big time.

That is my guess so recheck all of your cabling and go thru the manual to be positive...

After you fix the USB issue see if you still have the video card problem. If so, then go to the manufacturers website and download the latest driver. If you used the driver from the CD it is most likely outdated. Once you make sure you have the latest driver and windows updates then retest.

If it's still a problem then as suggested before, get an RMA from the video card manufacturer. It should be approximately a 2 week turnaround.

syfon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
PSU, the USB plug in on the mobo might be at fault, bad drivers. Hell I'd just unplug everything and start from square one. There's a million potential issues with this. But, we're here to help you out...so, crack that case open, check EVERYTHING, even if you think it's OK, check it. Recheck it. Make sure that PSU is powerful enough, check the connectors, plugs, everything. Uninstall drivers, reinstall drivers, update the drivers. Just over-haul it basically.

denisim

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
The card is not OC-ed. Thank you all. I'm going to check everything out first thing in the morning.(It's 3 am now). I'll keep you posted.

You havn't given much detail, but the very first thing you should do is to go into BIOS and set you RAM voltage to MFG spec. 2.0-2.1v should be fine.

denisim

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007

I really think it is the ram voltage. I ran memtest in windows for 20 min and one module had a lot of errors. Does this necessarily mean bad ram, or could it also be because of insufficient voltage? I'm at work by the way, I can't change the voltage now. But I can't wait...

denisim

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I must say that i double posted this post also in the ney system build section. If someone feels It's not right I'm sorry...
I changed the Ram Voltage and Memtest seems fine now. As for the missing posts, I've got no idea...
Thank you all, you've been all very helpful.