Few questions regarding new rig

Gylis

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
So after hell knows how much time I'm getting a new PC. I'm not a PRO in all these things but after doing some research everything boiled down to these parts:

WD5000AAKS
NX8800GTX-T2D768E-HD
Creative Sound card X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
TWIN2X2048-6400C4
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

Now questions:
1.Which of the CPU's should I take? E6850 or Q6600, I don't think I will be upgrading or buying new PC like 3-4 years after this so I need something that would go pretty good for a year or perhaps even 2 (doubt that). I'm leaning towards the Q6600 as after some time it will be way better than a E6850, but what now? Won't slower processor be pain now? Or those 600 MHz won't mean so much in nowadays games that they wouldn't run at 40fps? By the way, I don't fell like OCing, so...

2.This one is much shorter (I hope)... What PSU, case (so I could fit everyting in) and cooling would you recommend? I won't be doing any SLI or or OCing (as I stated above, although if really needed I could try that...).

3.And finally, are there any other mistakes like incompatibility or I won't be abusing some parts good sides or they are simply crap. So basically any suggestions are needed :ange:

I think that's all for now, thanks in advance and sorry if it's hard to understand these ramblings and there are some typos because English isn't my native language.

1_Q6600 because u dont want to upgrade for few years, here are 2 benchmarks :
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600.html
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3038&p=8

2_Thermaltake ARMOR JR(Midtower) or Thermaltake ARMOR (Full tower) or Thermaltake Shark are very good , for PSU , go for OCZ 600-700 WAT PSU or CORSAIR 520/620

3_looks solid , however for the same price of RAM ,get this OCZ REAPER 2GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227231
it has better timings (4-4-4-15)

hunter_green32

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
You are aware that the 9800 GTX is coming out in 1-3 weeks, correct? With a retail from $550 to $650.

The G92 is pulling a teraflop in performance, says nVidia.. a G80 (8800GTX is a G80 GPU card) comes in at roughly one third of that.

Gylis

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Could you please give me a link for that? Last time I was checking G92 hype was all just rumors. + I live in Lithuania (eastern Europe) and new hardware comes to our market like 3 months after release... And I don't feel like waiting for so long unless G92 is actually x2 power of 8800GTX. But I doubt that so...

Anyways I've chosen this CMPSU-520HXEU
At newegg it's model doesn't have EU letters, but perhaps thats just some sort of European version, googling gave me Finnish results I think (I don't know what language is that). So any comments on that would be appreciated too...

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Looks good. I'm getting that PSU. ;)

Also, I haven't heard anything about the 9800GTX coming in less than a month. I heard something more like JAN/FEB. Either way, the people in the graphics forum say the 9800GTX = 8800GTX2.

I have a Q6600 and WD5000AAKS disks. WD5000AAKS is very good, but I'd recommend WD7500AAKS disks instead because they are faster, even if the price/GB ratio is a bit higher.

Definitely get the Q6600 if you intend to keep the CPU 3 years or more. Crysis, Hellgate, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, video encoding, Photoshop already work better on the Q6600, and others will follow the trend.

I'd replace the MSI video card with the equivalent eVGA, BFG or XFX - just to play it safe.

Cooling - don't bother since you won't overclock. Maybe get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.

Case and PSU: I got a Silverstone TJ-09, added 3 SFF21E fans, and a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W. Mind you, I may want a SLI setup some day so these make sense for me. You could get something more reasonable: Thermaltake Armor or P182 or Antec 900, with PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W or Corsair 620HX.

I'd get the 620HX rather than the 520HX because the quad and the 8800 GTX consume a lot and efficiency is better if you don't push the PSU too close to max. Don't worry about the EU marking, it just means it's supposed to be plugged in at 230V (European standard) and not 115V.

There's no 9800 GTX. The 8800 GT will come out soon and it's between 8800 GTS and 8800 GTX. It's nowhere near twice the power of the 8800 GTX. Normally I'd say wait for the 8800 GT, but I have no clue how long it will take for it to appear in Eastern Europe... You might end up waiting a lot. Your decision. If rumors about the price (half the price of the 8800 GTX) and performance (90% of the 8800 GTX) are true, then it's worth waiting.

Gylis

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Me again.

First of all I wanted to thank you all guys for helping me to choose right parts for my rig.

But I want to hear your advices once again, so here it goes:

1.DVD ROM, I think I'm overrating importance of it but blah... I've chosen Pioneer DVR-212DBK. I know, it has lots of bad reviews about not working burners but those with working ones was lots of happy experiences. So say what you guys think and if you have any better advice for similar price burner I'd love to hear it.

2. This one is really bugging me. It's 22" LCD monitor. I've been searching around the net and found that Samsung 226BW was a very good choice. As always there is "but". After more "googling" I found that nonsense of S, A and C versions. So I kinda boycotted this model. I'd love to hear your advices about this (what model should I take etc.)...

Post scriptum: I know these questions don't really fit to this forum but blah... Don't kill me for that please. :whistle:

DVD ROM: are you nuts??? OK, sorry, let me rephrase that. Why, oh why, would you even think of buying a $32 burner that gets 43% of newegg reviewers saying it's garbage (one star). Get this one (SAMSUNG SH-S203B)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153
It costs $2 less and only 3% of reviewers think it's garbage. :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Yeah, that part about S,A,C is weird. Some say it's irrelevant and it just means you need to adjust settings differently when you buy it. I don't know... I played it safe and got a 21.6" Samsung (216BW). LG makes some good 22" monitors at great prices too. Viewsonic is good too, just a bit more expensive usually.

Gylis

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
About that DVD ROM, ok, kill me, I just somehow liked Pioneer. Anyway just after posting I looked more around the net (particularly newegg) and found that samsung. I was about to edit my post asking you to comment it but you've already posted so I couldn't do that, lol So yes, I'm taking SH-S203B.

And any more comments on good LCDs?

Well, the usual thing about LCDs: buy them locally from a store that lets you check for dead pixels before you buy, or a store that lets you get a refund within two weeks if you're not happy FOR ANY REASON.

Also, if you have a choice, get an LCD that comes with a DVI cable included. It stinks to have to buy a $50 cable separately. Anyway, make sure the monitor you buy has a DVI input at least, it's better than VGA.

The Pioneer: to be honest I'm a bit sad seeing how they are failing with that model. My first DVD burner was a Pioneer (way back when a 4x or 8x burner was a $300 luxury) and I used to be very proud of it... Today I'm using a PX-810SA ($80) and an LG GSA-H62 ($33) and of course the Pioneer rusts in the old PC in the basement.