strange behavior E8400 OC

robertdv

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Hi, I think I have got a strange problem, but maybe the solution is simple.

I started CPU-Z and when I looked at my Core speed, it is changing from 2.400 to 3.600 every few seconds (the multiplier also changes from 6 to 9)

My FSB is 400, my core voltage is 1.336V, and my temperature is 20 degrees (idle)!!! (I have got a tt bigtyp 120 with a slipstream 1600 120cm cooler instead of the normal fan)

My system seems stable, but how am I sure that my cpu isn´t working at his best all the time (I just want the cpu at 3.6)

Should I fix the multiplier in the bios instead of auto-mode?

robertdv

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
btw, I have been playing MOH airborne for an hour, and my temp wouldn´t get higher then 28 degrees! (my NB reached a temp of 48 though)

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
SpeedStep - Automatically lowers the multiplier from its max. (9x for the Q6600) to 6x when the machine is idle. The result is less power consumption and heat production. It goes back up to 9x when you start to get a CPU load. Disable initially, enable later on and see if the system remains stable. This is a power savings option.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

I proposed that idea before...oh well, the majority of the people post this question in the cpu section.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Regardless, it still gets posted in the CPU section even after the sticky. People don't read or search for anything. It just still blows my mind that people will try to OC when they don't even know the basics of how a computer works. Oh well, that bodes well for me I suppose. These people might be my competition some day and that makes me feel good :)

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Yeah, you still get that noob who doesn't read properly. However, the number of threads regarding that question has reduced dramatically, from once every day to once every week. Also the number of views of that stickies are increasing rapidly, indicating that people are reading them.

robertdv

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Regardless, it still gets posted in the CPU section even after the sticky. People don't read or search for anything. It just still blows my mind that people will try to OC when they don't even know the basics of how a computer works. Oh well, that bodes well for me I suppose. These people might be my competition some day and that makes me feel good :)

Yeah, you still get that noob who doesn't read properly. However, the number of threads regarding that question has reduced dramatically, from once every day to once every week. Also the number of views of that stickies are increasing rapidly, indicating that people are reading them.

Just wait one second, it's not that I haven't searched the forum, I just couldn't find it. Instead you guys still didn't solve this. I know how to computers work, I know how to OC. I know about the stepping system of intel.
That's why I disabled the stepping in the first place, but the problem stays.
After that I fixed the multiplier at 9, and that solved it. So my own solution was the correct one, there now I have said it!

So, why does my comp did this even when in the bios the stepping option is disabled?

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
LOL, a BIOS update wasn't necessary. It was Intel Speedstep Technology kicking in to attempt to save you some money. You could have just disabled C1E and EIST or Intel Speedstep Technology and been fine. It isn't anything that's going to hurt at all. It wasn't a "problem" like you make it sound. It is a feature.

PS @Robert Intel Speedtep has nothing to do with processor stepping. Stepping refers to a change in core revision.

robertdv

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
PS @Robert Intel Speedtep has nothing to do with processor stepping. Stepping refers to a change in core revision.

I thought that intel speedstep managed the processors stepping to save some power?