When will Comcast...

Improve the video quality of AD and SD channels? I don't understand how
Comcast's HD content looks as good if not better than DirecTV but the
AD and SD content look much worse.

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance
12 answers Last reply
More about when comcast

    You could do like some of us and split the cable at the wall with a -3.5dB,
    2-way, one leg direct to the TV, the other to the cable box. I viewed my SD
    content for 3 months on my HDTV before the box came. I usually only turn on
    the box for a digital or HD channel. The SD feed of the local news or the
    weather channel is OK that way.
    YMMV
    --
    "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
    - Anon

    <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Improve the video quality of AD and SD channels? I don't understand how
    > Comcast's HD content looks as good if not better than DirecTV but the
    > AD and SD content look much worse.
    >
    > Cygnus
    > The Bringer of Balance

    <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Improve the video quality of AD and SD channels? I don't understand how
    > Comcast's HD content looks as good if not better than DirecTV but the
    > AD and SD content look much worse.
    >
    > Cygnus
    > The Bringer of Balance

    Our Analog channels are mediocre at best, but oddly enough I find our SD
    channels to be as good, if not a touch better, than DirecTVs. Guess we're
    just lucky....

    Lots of people over at AVSforums have been talking about their starting to
    replace AD channels with their SD equivalent. If eventually they do this
    for most of their AD channels (especially Sci-Fi channel!!) then I'll be
    happy.

    -Eddie

    With the pending change-over to total HD in the near future [07-08] it is
    very doubtful that any cable company will invest in improving the standard
    or analog signal qualities. Does not make economical sense for them. <

    "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > With the pending change-over to total HD in the near future [07-08] it is
    > very doubtful that any cable company will invest in improving the standard
    > or analog signal qualities. Does not make economical sense for them. <
    >>As noted, split the cable, run the HD and pay per view, etc through the
    >>box. Run the standard through the set's onboard tuner. For some reason the
    >>double and triple converting of the standard broadcast signals within the
    >>catv boxes also induces many artifacts and noise.

    when the Comcast tech was at my place a few weeks back installing my HD STB,
    he mentioned that they were in the process of revamping their analog
    channels quality to match the digital channels...I didn't think to ask if
    this meant that channels 1-67 (or whatever the cutoff is) would have digital
    clones (say 201-267 for example) or if they were just cleaning up the
    signals. he advised it was already in beta and alluded to an imminent
    rollout..

    "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > With the pending change-over to total HD in the near future [07-08]
    =================================
    There is no such "pending change".
    HD is not required.....only Digital!

    There is no pending change-over to total HD. There is a pending change over
    to total digital (from analog). Some digital broadcasts will be in standard
    definition resolution and some will be in high definition. Not all
    broadcasts will be in wide screen.

    You are probably already well aware of this fact, but a lot of people are
    not. This includes the television salesman that I spoke with at Sears the
    other day.

    "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > With the pending change-over to total HD in the near future [07-08] it is
    > very doubtful that any cable company will invest in improving the standard
    > or analog signal qualities. Does not make economical sense for them. <
    > >As noted, split the cable, run the HD and pay per view, etc through the
    > >box. Run the standard through the set's onboard tuner. For some reason
    the
    > >double and triple converting of the standard broadcast signals within the
    > >catv boxes also induces many artifacts and noise.
    > "Eddie Yasi" <karmaoryx-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
    > >> Improve the video quality of AD and SD channels? I don't understand how
    > >> Comcast's HD content looks as good if not better than DirecTV but the
    > >> AD and SD content look much worse.
    > >>
    > >> Cygnus
    > >> The Bringer of Balance
    > >>

    > > Our Analog channels are mediocre at best, but oddly enough I find our SD
    > > channels to be as good, if not a touch better, than DirecTVs. Guess
    we're
    > > just lucky....
    > >
    > > Lots of people over at AVSforums have been talking about their starting
    > > replace AD channels with their SD equivalent. If eventually they do
    this
    > > for most of their AD channels (especially Sci-Fi channel!!) then I'll be
    > > happy.
    > >
    > > -Eddie

    << I don't understand how Comcast's HD content looks as good if not better
    than DirecTV but the
    AD and SD content look much worse. >>

    It was the reverse with me. I had Dish Network, HD receiver model 811. With
    the digital DTV input, the regular channels were absolutely horrible. So I
    had to use its S-Video output to watch SD. The HD was awesome, though.
    Anyhow, a year later I decided to go with Time-Warner, simply because they
    had a new DVR. Very luckily, the DVR model 8300HD's picture is very good
    both with HD and SD so I don't use the S-Video input anymore...
    Roger

    On 27 Apr 2005 14:38:29 -0700, _cygnusx-1_@excite.com wrote:

    >Improve the video quality of AD and SD channels? I don't understand how
    >Comcast's HD content looks as good if not better than DirecTV but the
    >AD and SD content look much worse.

    SD looks just fine in Western Ma.
    Thumper
    >Cygnus
    >The Bringer of Balance

    When will Comcast get the guide right?
    I am pretty upset over how wrong the guide is, here in the San
    Francisco bay area. I have the new HDTV/DVR box and am very pleased
    with it most of the time. But what good is the DVR if you program it
    to record a program, and then something completely different gets
    recorded?
    A perfect example, right now 5/2/05 9:26am the guide shows on channel
    704 KROND "college basketball", but when I go to watch basketball
    there is boxing on that channel.
    This is not a "once in a while" issue, this happens constantly on a
    variety of channels.
    When I call and ask about this, they make it sound like it's out of
    their control, and there's nothing that can be done about it.
    Does anyone have an opinion, similar experience, or know the truth
    about what is happening?
    I sure hope this can be fixed, because it is a serious and terrible
    problem.

    "Randy" <Randy@?.com> wrote in message
    > When will Comcast get the guide right?
    > I am pretty upset over how wrong the guide is, here in the San
    > Francisco bay area. I have the new HDTV/DVR box and am very pleased
    > with it most of the time. But what good is the DVR if you program it
    > to record a program, and then something completely different gets
    > recorded?
    > A perfect example, right now 5/2/05 9:26am the guide shows on channel
    > 704 KROND "college basketball", but when I go to watch basketball
    > there is boxing on that channel.
    > This is not a "once in a while" issue, this happens constantly on a
    > variety of channels.
    > When I call and ask about this, they make it sound like it's out of
    > their control, and there's nothing that can be done about it.
    > Does anyone have an opinion, similar experience, or know the truth
    > about what is happening?
    > I sure hope this can be fixed, because it is a serious and terrible
    > problem.

    yeah, I see a lot of mismatched shows or shows with no "info" as
    well...another thing that grates me is that browsing up decrements the
    channel...oh well...at least whatever is on looks and sounds great...

    Hi Randy,

    I just got a new HDTV box from comcast, and wanted to know if you get
    702/703/704 and a few others in 4:3 format instead of 16:9 ?
    Its a bummer 'coz it reduces the size of tv from 32" to almost 27".

    -Rahul

    Randy wrote:
    > When will Comcast get the guide right?
    > I am pretty upset over how wrong the guide is, here in the San
    > Francisco bay area. I have the new HDTV/DVR box and am very pleased
    > with it most of the time. But what good is the DVR if you program it
    > to record a program, and then something completely different gets
    > recorded?
    > A perfect example, right now 5/2/05 9:26am the guide shows on channel
    > 704 KROND "college basketball", but when I go to watch basketball
    > there is boxing on that channel.
    > This is not a "once in a while" issue, this happens constantly on a
    > variety of channels.
    > When I call and ask about this, they make it sound like it's out of
    > their control, and there's nothing that can be done about it.
    > Does anyone have an opinion, similar experience, or know the truth
    > about what is happening?
    > I sure hope this can be fixed, because it is a serious and terrible
    > problem.

    It all depends on the show. If it is a show broadcast in HDTV or not.
    I expect that some shows appear 16:9, is that correct?

    On 5 May 2005 10:53:44 -0700, "xyz_rahul" <xyz_rahul@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi Randy,
    >
    >I just got a new HDTV box from comcast, and wanted to know if you get
    >702/703/704 and a few others in 4:3 format instead of 16:9 ?
    >Its a bummer 'coz it reduces the size of tv from 32" to almost 27".
    >
    >-Rahul
    >
    >Randy wrote:
    >> When will Comcast get the guide right?
    >> I am pretty upset over how wrong the guide is, here in the San
    >> Francisco bay area. I have the new HDTV/DVR box and am very pleased
    >> with it most of the time. But what good is the DVR if you program it
    >> to record a program, and then something completely different gets
    >> recorded?
    >> A perfect example, right now 5/2/05 9:26am the guide shows on channel
    >> 704 KROND "college basketball", but when I go to watch basketball
    >> there is boxing on that channel.
    >> This is not a "once in a while" issue, this happens constantly on a
    >> variety of channels.
    >> When I call and ask about this, they make it sound like it's out of
    >> their control, and there's nothing that can be done about it.
    >> Does anyone have an opinion, similar experience, or know the truth
    >> about what is happening?
    >> I sure hope this can be fixed, because it is a serious and terrible
    >> problem.

HDTV Home Theatre