DVD Reading Issues

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hi,

I have been using a Samsung SH-S182D DVD Recorder for the past 8 months and it hasn't stopped pissing me off. Whatever CD I put in, from video, to music, to data, it just freezes and makes Windows Explorer unstable which evidently forces it to restart (explorer.exe).

I have uninstalled the drivers, installed the old ones, tried the latest ones and keeps doing the same thing.

Any idea of what may be going on with this piece of crap?
I am currently using the SB07 driver (latest) found on samsungodd.com (official web site). Please advise on what I should do.

Thanks.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Vista Ultimate x64 by the way. Thanks

*Edit* I feel as if I haven't forwarded enough information. The drive seems to function correctly by intermittence, only when I try to pull out information of the disk does it crash. For example, I recently installed CSS, DOD, HL2, Crysis, COD4, HALO 2 and more on by computer, using disks, without any problems. However, I cannot play certain DVDs without them crashing, and certainly not any backups(type of disk?), thus making them useless...

I just realized that I have been using the drive correctly, but it just doesn't work with movies, or anything that I burned using it.

About the type of disk thing, having the latest drivers can't get me any closer to my goals... shouldn't be able to read everything the specs say I can?
Thanks for the help.

Grebuloner

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Try some of these out to figure out where the problem lies:

1. Use Windows' own driver for the drive

2. Have you tried the drive in another computer?

3. Try a different drive in your computer with the same discs

Most likely your drive has gone bad. I have a stack of old drives that can read some disks but not others, or DVDs but not CDs, etc.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'll check into this. Thanks for your advice.

If anyone has anything related to the drive's configuration please post. Thanks for your help.

*I just pulled out a dvd drive from another PC, I'll post to say if it works soon.