d3fy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
Just building a new system

Item: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Item: EVGA 8800GTS SuperClocked 320MB DDR3 DVI PCI-E Graphics Card
Item: Samsung SH-S203B 20X DVD±RW/RAM / DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive - OEM
Item: Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU
Item: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair)) Retail Boxed Processor
Item: OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 5-5-5-12 GOLD XTC *SPECIAL OPS* ED
Item: Corsair VX 550W PSU - 120mm Fan, 5 Year Warranty
Item: 2 x Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM

It says in the mobo manual that the system should give a short beep to indicate all is OK on boot. Mine is making no sound at all. The TFT display will is just black and can't detect any input. All the fans etc are running, the HD are spinning up.

Can anyone point me as what to look at - I have checked the speaker about a dozen times, reseated the CPU with artic freezer, checked the memory....

Anyone?

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
hi d3fy,
I also had this problem when I first tried starting a newly built system. It turned out mine was down to a faulty VGA cable from my graphics card to my monitor (probably a DVI cable in your case.)
Make sure the connections between your graphics card and monitor are secure and maybe try with another cable.
also what monitor are you using?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
As for the beep, make sure you have the Speaker wire from the case connected to the mobo, should be where he other case wires are connected, e.g., power, restart, etc. Have you tried a different video card. If the card has both DVI and D SUB connections, try both Try a different monitor

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, the speaker should beep if everything but the display is not working. It sounds as if there is more than just a display problem (see fredgiblet's comment).

Also, depending upon your setup, there is sometimes a tiny speaker that you connect directly to the motherboard that will beep on startup and if there's an error. My motherboard (which is also a gigabyte) came with said tiny speaker, and it makes a short beep upon posting, the sound doesn't come through my system speakers.

It sounds as if there's a much bigger problem than just a dvi or video card connection. Sorry.

Zanathon

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Try starting the system with one stick of ram. OCZ gold recomended voltage is 2.1v so you need to get into bios and increase the voltage to your ram as the default setting for DDR2 is 1.8v.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Someone here the other day forgot to plug in the 4 pin power connection to the motherboard and ended up with the same problem. If yours has this plug, make sure it's connected.

d3fy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
4 pin connector for PCIE is attached. I have checked the CPU and remounted it.

I will see if I can get a spare mobo/case speaker from my old PC and just check to see if the speaker is faulty on the new one.

I don't have another GFX card, I do have two sticks of memory so will try using just one.

VGA Cable works on previous PC, display is a SAMSUNG 19" (reviewed on here)

And sorry the memory is Platinum OCZ

I have seen quite a few "new build failure" threads here. The following is one of my replies that I have cleaned up and expanded. This assumes that the new build is completely dead. Even if not, the same principles still apply.

I have long been a proponent of breadboarding (See Step 6.) a new build. That enables me to test all of the parts before I install them inside the case.

This is a general purpose reply. Comments applying to my eVGA 122-CK-NF68 motherboard are in italics.

Assuming the speaker is properly connected (or built in) to the motherboard, no beep means the POST did not start. A video card or memory problem that did not affect the PSU would still generate a beep pattern indicating video or memory problems. (eVGA 680i board has builtin piezo beeper - doesn't need speaker.)

You should become familiar with the POST codes. Your motherboard manual may list them. If not, google something like "<motherboard model number> POST codes".

Turn off the computer with the switch on the back of the PSU or unplug it. I prefer to use the switch if present. That way, everything is still grounded through the power cord. Wait a few minutes. While you are waiting, double check all the cable connections. Make sure that the case switches and LED's are connected correctly. Pay close attention to the main power and 4/8 pin 12 volt connectors to the motherboard. If the computer is completely dead, the case power switch may be bad. Swap it with the reset switch to test. Turn on the computer. If it still doesn't work, you have to resort to serious troubleshooting. (680i motherboard has builtin POWER and RESET switches. I use those for testing or troubleshooting.

If so, six possibilities:

1. The motherboard is improperly installed in the case, shorting something out. This happens surprisingly often. Verify that the metal standoffs in the case exactly match the motherboard mounting holes.

2. Bad or inadequate PSU. A working PSU will send a control signal called "PSGood" or something similar to the motherboard. eVGA calls it "PWROK". According to the 680i mobo manual (pg.18), you can find it on pin 8 of the 24 pin power connector. It should go to 5 volts dc when you turn on the PSU. The motherboard needs this signal before the CPU can start the boot process. A problem with any output should kill the PSGood signal. Losing the PSGood signal forces a CPU reset. All of the outputs can be present, but nothing will happen without PSGood. The CPU will stay reset. PC's with modern components NEED a good stable PSU. The forums here contain guides on how to select (by brand and capacity) a good PSU. And even a reputable PSU may be DOA or have other internal problems.

3. A bad drive or video card affecting the PSU.

4. Bad memory.

5. Bad CPU.

6. Bad motherboard.

CAUTION - you need to remove power (ON-OFF switch on back of PSU or unplug it) from the computer each time you install or remove anything. I know this sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised ...

Disassemble everything. Breadboard (assemble the components outside the case on an insulated surface) only the PSU, motherboard and speaker, and CPU and HSF. Doublecheck HSF installation, especially on an LGA775 board if using the Intel-style push pin mounting scheme. If the problem was in the CPU socketing (very rare, but has happened), reinstalling the CPU should solve it. Plug in the main power connector and the 4 or 8 pin EPS connector into the motherboard. Now you need a way to turn on the computer. I normally use wiring, switches, and LED's scavenged from an old case. Turn on the computer. If the fans start spinning, you at least have some 12 volt power. Look for any motherboard LED's. If you hear beeps, the computer at least started POSTing and the PSU, motherboard, and CPU are probably good. No beeps means that at least one of the three are bad. At that point, all you can do is test the parts by substitution. I say "probably good" here because an inadequate PSU could pass this test and fail later when it is more heavily loaded.

A working motherboard with only power connected and the CPU and HSF installed will complete the POST with a failure beep pattern.

Beeps now should indicate memory problems. (With no memory installed, an eVGA 680i mobo will generate a series of long single beeps.) Install the memory. No beeps probably means that you have a shorted memory chip. Dual channel motherboards can operate with only a single memory module installed. Install each one separately and test. Sometimes motherboards do not properly set the memory operating voltage. That is a more complex problem than the simple "It won't start" problem. ("Simple" is not the same as "easy".) For one thing, if the computer does not start and complete the POST you cannot get into the BIOS to adjust the memory voltage.

With the memory installed, if you hear beeps, that should indicate that the POST detected video problems. (With no video card installed, a 680i will generate a series of one long and three short beeps.) Install the video card, plug in any necessary aux power cables, and plug in the monitor. Turn on the computer. No beeps now means that the video card is shorting out the PSU. Otherwise, at this point you should see something on the monitor if the video card is good.

At this point, if there are no problems, a 680i mobo will successfully POST (a single short beep) and the LED display will show "7F". The monitor will indicate a boot failure.

Turn off the PSU and plug in a keyboard and mouse. Turn on the computer. Try to enter the BIOS to set date and time and verify the amount of memory present. If you can do this, it means that all the expensive parts are probably good.

Start plugging in the rest of the components one at a time and test. No beep, and you have found the problem.

If everything works, it probably means that something was improperly installed in the case. Reassemble in the case and test, following the steps above. If you are lucky, everything works.

I always breadboard a new build. I pretty much reserve the fourth port of my KVM switch for system testing.

Hey, does anyone have any ideas how I can turn the above into a sticky or wiki or something that I can link to without constantly pasting into a reply?

d3fy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
Thanks all so far. I'm at work at the moment (UK) so will check when I get home.

@Wolfshadw > Yes I have seen this and looked at it long and hard but I don't know what too plug in. I have a the Corsair PSU and it has a 24(?) ATX pin connector that fits directly into the motherboards 24 pin slot. Now on the PSU 24 pin block the 4 pins on the end are detachable so that it can fit a 20 pin block.

Do you think I need plug the 4 pin in there and then the 20 onto the main board?

The_Gremlin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
jsc - I just wanted to say that's an awesome post ... and should be made a sticky somewhere! :)

Sorry, I don't know how to get something "sticky"ed.:(

It should. The EPS plug provides the power for the CPU. Look for a PSU connector with either 4 pins (2 yellow wires & 2 black wires) or 8 pins (4 & 4) - but NOT six pins, that's for a video card. Your motherboard manual will tell you where to find the plug.

d3fy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
You sir are a legend!!!!!!!!!!!! It did not mention that in the instructions once!. Right I will report back in a while

Zanathon

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Yesi believe one side of that connector should fit in the 4 pin connector on the MB. My antec 650 trio has the same connector for CPU power but I have a Foxconn board that uses an 8 pin CPU connector but I think it is designed to be used on either type of board. It is two four pin connectors side by side so by using one half it should do the job.

d3fy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
Thanks all - JSC legend. A big noob mistake, i simply did not connect all the power sockets! Sat now installing drivers on VISTA on the new PC watching 4 processors at work.

Thanks again, drinks are on me :bounce: :bounce:

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Well thats great that you got it up and running. Let us know how you computer performs.