Creating disk images from RAID volumes

Is there any utility that would allow me to create a disk image from a raided volume? I believe windows visata ultimate has a utility built into it and i'm wondering if anyone has actualy managed to recover using a disk image from it.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
As long as the RAID controller allows access from DOS (most do, although some do so with reduced speed), then any imaging utility that works on single drives will work on the RAID volume. This includes Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and free utilities like DriveImage XML.

I have recovered an image to a RAID volume using Acronis True Image before.

Second that, I have used Acronis True Image to clone my RAID 0 array to single drives and back to another RAID 0 array several times. Your OS and programs do not "know" a RAID array is more than 1 drive. For all practical purposes, if the controller and array is working correctly, your RAID array appears to your system as simply a single drive.

Thanks for the replies. jitpublisher and somejoe 777. are you telling me it's as simple as making the image in acronis then using the boot disk to when the array goes down? I am using the onboard Intel RAID...I guees the controller would be the 1ch9r.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
The Acronis recovery CD that it makes for you has the driver for your RAID controller, and can restore at high speed.

Doing a Ghost or DriveImage XML restore relies on the BIOS extended INT13h extensions, which the ICH9R supports, but at a maximum speed of about 2 MB/sec. Be prepared to wait a while for the restore to take place.

If your RAID loses a drive, you'll get a new drive, re-set up the RAID, then run the recovery CD from one of these programs and restore the image to the RAID.

lifespeed

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
A warning about Acronis: it will not restore an image reading from a GPT ( > 2 TB) partition. For me, it would not even restore using an image located on an MBR partition.

I switched to Ghost 14. More expensive, but it works more reliably.