what time would the 8800gt prices go down?

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
i was saving for the 8800gt, and when it just came out my local store was selling it for around $259, and thats the lowest i was able to find from a store which i can access. now about 1-2 weeks later, when i have almost saved up enough the price was raised to $289! i can't believe this... wasn't the price supposed to go DOWN? after the inital rush of sales doesn't the price for cards usually go down a bit?
when can we expect for it to go down or at least back to around it's original price?

and on a side note.. how much practical (i.e, actually noticeable when playing games) performance increase does the OC version of the card give compared to the stock one?

ghostwalker

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Firstly, the cards are in such high demand that the retailers are whacking there prices up. Price=demand etc. Therefore once the card has been out a bit we can expect the prices to even out. Also, when the new ATI card comes out and the 8800GT has some competition (if indeed it does) prices should even out a bit.

Basically wait until the end of November I'd say then think about a purchase.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
We will probably see the price go down in a few weeks. I, like so many other people, am waiting till the price goes down to ~$250. The factors that could attribute to a decrease in price:

-The new ATI cards may put pressure on stores to lower there 8800GT prices.
-Supposedly nVidia is going to be pumping out ~200-300,000 of these by the end of the year. So supply *should* surpass demand.
-The new nVidia 8800GTS 640MB that should be coming out in december.

Factors that have lead to the price rising:
-Quite a large demand for the product.
-nVidia could be commended on getting the product out there a few weeks ahead of nVidia, but they didn't have an adequate number going out.
-USD is falling, and hard.

Regarding the OC, you can manually OC a GPU using rivatuner. The OC would add a low-moderate amount of performance.

-Adam

ghostwalker

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006

Something like 4-5fps or more like 10+fps?

killer_roach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Well, considering that nVidia's fabrication partners are largely in Taiwan, the weak US dollar shouldn't affect prices that much... the Taiwanese dollar has traded relatively closely to the USD (looks like it has appreciated about 1% against the greenback YTD). This is primarily a supply and demand issue right now.

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
no its wierd because only a week ago price in this store was 259 and now its 289. and this is canadian dollar, which is supposed to be higher than US right now, so why is this price actually higher than the newegg price in US dollars?

i understand when other retailers don't lower price because they are still trying to sell products they bought when canadian dollar was lower, but this card came out when the canadian dollar was higher... so why the higher price?

Here is a quick Supply vs demand graph I made. It roughly illustrates how rising demand along with a shortening supply makes prices rise.

[edit i think i screwed up the conclusion... oh well]

supply.png

mcidfta200

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
right right, i understand all that, and when a card just comes out obviously the prices will be higher than they would be later on in a month or so.

i found out why the store heaved up it's price, though. what i was looking at before was a special discount that lasted a few days. i should have bought it back then =(

racsito39

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007

Where did you got such interesting information? (about the production numbers).