Unable to display self-built web pages correctly. Help?

Hello Everybody:

A programmer built a small website for me. A one-page website displayed in several languages (one page for each language).
There are a few pictures and several links.

The problem is that the website is displayed correctly on programmer's two different machines and that's it. it's not displayed correctly neither on my computer (using several browsers, and saving the files in different ways - all in one folder, all on the desktop, on the C partition etc...). or on another friend's PC.

Any advice on why this problem may occur?

Thank you.
16 answers Last reply
More about unable display self built pages correctly help
  1. Some pages can only be seen properly from a website; you cannot just look directly at the file with your browser. You should have specified how you would want to review and use the files so the programmer would use the appropriate technologies.

    FYI, I have been creating web pages for over 16 years. . .
  2. The website is NOT on-line. If I want to comment or criticize (which I do), I can't, because I can't see the website correctly.
    Another thing (mentioned in the first post) is that the programmer is able to see the website correctly on two independent computers.

    As for your knowledge and experience, It's good to know. I am actually looking for a programmer for the near feature...
  3. The programmer could be doing what I do: I run a web server on my PC to test pages before uploading them to the real web server.
  4. Your developer should be able to set up a demo environment for you to examine the website in. It's entirely possible that it's not just made of static pages but written in a programming language that requires an interpreter to generate the final output (like most websites), and this is usually only installed on servers or workstations that have web server software configured on them. The developer could also just save the final rendered page and give you those files to look at. All browsers support saving pages and all the images that go along with them so that they can be viewed offline.
  5. randomizer said:
    The developer could also just save the final rendered page and give you those files to look at. All browsers support saving pages and all the images that go along with them so that they can be viewed offline.


    This is exactly what he did. The page opened with it's basic settings, so as on my friend's computer. The programmer sent me a screenshot of the page displayed on his computer, and it looks good.

    I have webmatrix installed on my computer, any idea involving this program perhaps?

    Thank you.
  6. You're paying the guy, it's his responsibility to make sure that the web site displays properly on your computer. If it is destined for public consumption there will be people with a lot more difficult setups than yours; if it won't even work on your computer they aren't going to be happy.

    Don't pander to the guy - insist on getting what you pay for.
  7. Agreed with the above. I don't understand why he can't simply set up a demo environment and provide you with the address to browse to so that you can view the website as it will be seen by the public. Screenshots are fine for getting design mockups approved, but you want to see the site properly in action before signing off on it.
  8. Hello Everybody:

    I gave the programmer the login details of the control panel of the server I own. He will upload the files to right there.
    It was the last resort for solving the problem, since any other solution tried by the two of us didn't work.

    Important to mention, the programmer is doing this project as a favor, so I can't complain too much. As for the work getting done, I agree. Even as a favor it should be done correctly.
  9. l_r_c_t said:
    Hello Everybody:

    I gave the programmer the login details of the control panel of the server I own. He will upload the files to right there.
    It was the last resort for solving the problem, since any other solution tried by the two of us didn't work.

    Important to mention, the programmer is doing this project as a favor, so I can't complain too much. As for the work getting done, I agree. Even as a favor it should be done correctly.

    +++++++++++++
    First of all, Web Site developement does not require the services of a person fluent in a computer programming language, as no "programing" is required. One only is required to know what is called a mark-up language. HTML is used to make web sites, not a programing language, as in Hyper-Text-Markup-Language.
    Is this a dot psp file or a dot htm file?
    I would get ONE page working first, not a whole web site.
    ++++++
  10. seecurb said:
    +++++++++++++
    First of all, Web Site developement does not require the services of a person fluent in a computer programming language, as no "programing" is required. One only is required to know what is called a mark-up language. HTML is used to make web sites, not a programing language, as in Hyper-Text-Markup-Language.
    ++++++
    You've never heard of the use of scripting languages such as php, perl, C# in building web sites? Most sites of any complexity nowadays require programming skills in their construction.
  11. Almost every modern website, even small ones, has at least some JavaScript as well.
  12. But you said nothing shows up. Even with some javascript, something would show-up!
  13. Why? If the whole page is created dynamically and there is something wrong with that process then nothing will show up. Anyone with any degree of experience of developing dynamic web pages will be familiar with that phenomenon.
  14. Or the phenomenon of an error being printed thousands of time down the page thanks to a nasty loop. :)
  15. First of all, I might have made a mistake calling him a programmer and not a web constructor.
    Second, There is a basic script running in the web code.
    And third, as for the content and features displayed, there is some text and frames but clearly it's not the way it should be.

    About my last post, of me allowing him to the control panel, there is nothing new because I haven't seen it yet.
  16. Let us know how it turns out.
Ask a new question

Read More

Programming Apps Displays