Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot Delete xxx xxx: The Directory Is Not Empty Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
March 25, 2010 6:34:37 AM

I was able to fix this problem "Cannot Delete xxx xxx: The Directory Is Not Empty Windows XP" by going to "Disk Properties" and performing the check disc function on my hard drives (Main: Drive C, External: Drive E [since then I've added another External: Drive G]) I have had no problem since then. I feel some what sad or sheepish to tell you folks this, I got the not here (@ Tom's) but, from the internet. I copied & pasted Cannot Delete xxx xxx: The Directory Is Not Empty Windows XP into the Google(?) seach box and from what came back a saw "perform the check disc function".
March 25, 2010 7:41:21 AM

No need to feel sheepish. We all share each other's resources on the web, and forums don't compete with each other. Since this is a common problem, thanks for the tip :) 
Score
May 3, 2010 5:33:18 AM

Hi Harmonica

Try to delete the file or folder you wish to from the command prompt. you might have a hidden file in the directory.

Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt.

You can do that only if you are familiar with dos command.

Score
Related resources
July 20, 2010 6:52:00 PM

georgejabr said:
Hi Harmonica

Try to delete the file or folder you wish to from the command prompt. you might have a hidden file in the directory.

When DOS commands, or running in Safe Mode does not help, CHKDSK command does.
From Start, Run, type CHKDSK E: /F
"E:" here is my first external (USB) disk, if no letter and colon (:) , then CHKDSK checks the system disk after restart of your system.
/F is check and repair.
Score
August 11, 2011 4:45:58 AM

So glad I came across this post. By following simple instruction (but not if you don't have an idea, you will go loco in fact) made by Harmonica bob > right click on disk>properties>tools>check now>tick automatically fix file errors, presto windows allowed me to delete target folder :pt1cable:  :bounce:  Thanks Man :hello:  jiro
Score
January 2, 2012 2:39:32 PM

Harmonica Bob and Jiro Got It Thanks Guys I Had this problem with several folders for a while and after i did the disk check it recovered all the information from all the damaged folders, Thanks Again !!!
Score
January 20, 2012 3:54:56 PM

several folders is not like that bcoz some time servoer was bend detabase like directory so there are no option
Score
March 14, 2013 3:22:37 AM

valiant50 said:
georgejabr said:
Hi Harmonica

When DOS commands, or running in Safe Mode does not help, CHKDSK command does.
From Start, Run, type CHKDSK E: /F
"E:" here is my first external (USB) disk, if no letter and colon (:) , then CHKDSK checks the system disk after restart of your system.
/F is check and repair.

Great man thanks
Score
!