Replacing motherboard with RAID 0 HDD's

mikebc

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Hi,

I have just discovered (with the help of this forum) that a friend's motherboard has died and needs to be replaced.

The problem here is that he has just told me that his two HDD's were setup in a RAID 0 configuration.

He will probably get the exact same motherboard as a replacement, however how do I go about setting it up so he doesn't lose all of his data?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3P Rev 2.0. His operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Thanks,
Mike

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
You didn't say what he was using as a controller. If it's onboard then get the chipset info on the board and the controller hardware/software to see if the array can be transferred without any glitches. If you're going "like to like" then it's usually not a problem.

Note - I noticed that none of the subject matter experts jumped in yet so I was just helping lend some direction on this one.

mikebc

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for your help.

From what I can gather, he's using the onboard controller (no add-on card). I wish he had told me that it was in a RAID 0 configuration before I had started - I would have noted which exact SATA ports his HDD's were connected to. But I didn't pay attention to it :(

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Piratepast40 is right, like-to-like usually can be done. I know all recent NVIDIA chipsets claim this is not problem within their line, but the mobo you're dealing with has an Intel ICH9R southbridge chip. Check what Intel and / or Gigabyte has to say, by searching their websites for a detailed manual of how to set up and use their RAID controller functions. Or, if you're lucky, the info might actually be on a CD that came with your friend's mobo originally.