Sign in with
Your question

G92 8800gts possible release date and price!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2007 4:40:51 PM

It seems that the new G92 based 8800 gts is finally getting a price point and release date. Hope these turn out to be accurate.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7011.html

December 3rd release and starting at $300 usd for the 512 version.. I'd guess the 1gig one is gonna be 50-75 bucks more.
November 5, 2007 4:59:32 PM

Can any of the resident experts here comment on just how much faster a G92 with 128 shader pipes will be than one with 112 shader pipes?

Also, I see that it can have up to a gig of vRam. I am betting that adds at least an extra $100 USD to the price-tag.

I have seen 8800 GT cards that are OC'd to 730+ with 3DMark06 scores of over 13,000. I wonder how high this one will go?
November 5, 2007 5:02:48 PM

if it will really cost $300 I will step up...i paid $265 in total for my eVGA 8800GT Superclocked
Related resources
November 5, 2007 5:12:30 PM

will this new GTS card beat the GTX? it will beat the new 8800gt no doubt otherwise its useless putting it on!
November 5, 2007 5:14:44 PM

If the release goes anything like the 8800gt release, it will probably start at $400 and shoot up from there while demand is high. That will still put it cheaper than an 8800gtx and the retailers can still gouge the consumer for a healthy profit. :) 
November 5, 2007 5:21:30 PM

it will probably end up outperforming the GTX

etailers currently selling the GTX for approx $500.. There is no way this card is going to hit the market at $300.. The GT had been forecasted at $200-$250 and most people are spending $275 if there can find it in stock.

Depending on this card's performance, im guessing it will probably start at $350+ for the 512 and $450+ for the 1024
November 5, 2007 5:28:40 PM

so that will also lead to a huge price drop in the GTX, am i right
November 5, 2007 5:45:18 PM

dostanio said:
so that will also lead to a huge price drop in the GTX, am i right

Don't hold your breath. It's highly unlikely that the price on the GTX will drop much at all, just like the current GTS cards haven't dropped in the wake of the GT.
November 5, 2007 5:47:06 PM

yea you have a point but i was just hopin the GTX price would drop:p 
November 5, 2007 6:02:01 PM

I don't think the pricing ig the G80 is much correlated with the G92 prices. It is just more cost effective. G80 cant sell at same price as g92. If it should it would be at discount.
November 5, 2007 6:17:22 PM

yeah i dont think it will start at $300 either...$400 seems more reasonable..

Anyone know if the new GTS will be single slot cooling system?
November 5, 2007 6:25:29 PM

I'm hoping for a dual slot cooling solution on this card. Cant wait to get me hands on one of the the 1gig models.
November 5, 2007 6:37:27 PM

It just seems so strange that people would even consider buying a more expensive outdated graphics card than a faster and less expensive one. I guess PC gamer dont follow the law of supply and demand.
Can someone explain why price would not drop for older cards or, more importantly, why would someone buy the older GTS/GTX over the new cards?????????
November 5, 2007 6:47:21 PM

Trialsking said:
It just seems so strange that people would even consider buying a more expensive outdated graphics card than a faster and less expensive one. I guess PC gamer dont follow the law of supply and demand.
Can someone explain why price would not drop for older cards or, more importantly, why would someone buy the older GTS/GTX over the new cards?????????

OK you haven't done enough research...we are talking about the NEW 8800GTS..not the old one that the 8800GT can smoke.
November 5, 2007 6:48:56 PM

Price will drop, or they will stop selling.....
November 5, 2007 6:48:57 PM

mitchellvii said:
Can any of the resident experts here comment on just how much faster a G92 with 128 shader pipes will be than one with 112 shader pipes?

Also, I see that it can have up to a gig of vRam. I am betting that adds at least an extra $100 USD to the price-tag.

I have seen 8800 GT cards that are OC'd to 730+ with 3DMark06 scores of over 13,000. I wonder how high this one will go?

On the evga forums someone has a watercooled 8800gt with 15,600 in 3dmark06.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=145621
November 5, 2007 7:12:26 PM

Yes, Ive seen 3DMark06 scores of 13,100 on stock cooled GT OC'd to 732/2000 without breakin a sweat.

a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2007 7:52:56 PM

A 128 SP G92 based dual slot 8800GTS for $300...... I'd preorder mine now if I could. ;) 
November 6, 2007 12:27:43 PM

Hmmm... I got another month left to step up from my stock 320... maybe I'll cancle my current bid for a GT and wait and see.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2007 2:30:21 PM

pauldh said:
A 128 SP G92 based dual slot 8800GTS for $300...... I'd preorder mine now if I could. ;) 

Yeah but what do you want to bet that there is no 128 SPU G92?

Sounds alot like the 'hidden SPUs' in the GTX that never materialized. :whistle: 

Sofar the new GTS looks like an OC'ed GT with faster ram chips.
November 6, 2007 2:42:12 PM

would the 1GB version be worth the approx. $100 extra? just curious as i may step up. gotta debate which one now!
November 6, 2007 3:30:50 PM

d3f1 said:
would the 1GB version be worth the approx. $100 extra? just curious as i may step up. gotta debate which one now!

Wait for benchies, who knows....
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2007 8:36:43 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:

Sounds alot like the 'hidden SPUs' in the GTX that never materialized. :whistle: 

Sofar the new GTS looks like an OC'ed GT with faster ram chips.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, (and that would stink for sure), but for $300 I'd still be interested if it had the dual slot cooler. But a cheap enough GT would soon make me forget about such a GTS. I still have an unopened VF-900 CU cooler I could use if the stock cooler is loud. I do like a rear venting cooler though.
November 6, 2007 8:39:23 PM

TGGA,

Quote:

Ok, put yourself in NVidia's shoes. You release a G92 GT with 112 shader units. Now you want to release a GTS version and all you are going to do is OC the core and add faster ram (which costs you more to manufacture)? Assuming NVidia wants to make money, that makes NO SENSE.

After creating the entire 8800 series with 128 shader units you suddenly decide on building in only 112 on the G92? Since these shaders come in groups of 16, why would you create an asymmetrical structure? How many 7-cylinder cars have you seen?

Let me propose another scenario:

NVidia built 128 shader units onto the G92 chip just like every other 8800. They unlocked 112 for the GT and will unlock 128 for the GTS. THERE's your value my friend and they don't have to add more expensive faster ram. They actually do less on the GTS (no laser cutting) and they charge more for it. Brilliant!

They charge around $300 for the GTS with 512 VRam (by then the GT will be around $225 to compete with the sub-$200 ATI 3800 series). They charge $400 for the 1 Gig model which is an ULTRA KILLER and follows their previous model of charging $100 more for the GTS 640 than the 320.

They only go to $400 because they will be releasing their new "dual-GPU" card in first quarter of 2008 and they want to sell these as opposed to people just waiting for those and they need a sexy premium product for Christmas. Plus, ATI will have NOTHING to compete with the GTS. They know that no gamer will be able to resist an Ultra beater for $400 USD.

Mark your calenders. That's how it's gonna come down.
November 6, 2007 9:45:15 PM

The BEST part is that I get to "step-up" my $270 EVGA 8800 GT to the GTS in January for only $30!

Woohoo! I am friggin genius! :) 
November 6, 2007 10:23:34 PM

Now my question is, what happens to the old GTS? The product line is all messed now, we have a GT outperforming an old GTS, a new GTS possibly outperforming the GTX, so basically now it's GTS,GT,GTX,GTS,ULTRA? Like that's not going to confuse consumers...I still say they should have made them 89xx, makes more sense as long as they had a GTX model to go with it.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2007 10:29:15 PM

The informed buyer will get an 8800GT or 8800GTS with 512MB of RAM. The uninformed buyer will pay more for a 640MB 8800GTS that's still sitting on BestBuys shelves for it's old $400 list price. ;) 
(Funny, but sad cause it's true.)
November 6, 2007 10:51:24 PM

I'd like to get one of those old G80 8800 GTS 640mb cards for
$200. That would be just fine.
November 6, 2007 10:53:02 PM

Sorry guys, $300 is not gonna happen for a long time. The 8800gt was supposed to be $200-250 and people are paying $275 minimum. nVidia would not undercut a GPU they just released with another 2 months later. Maybe if the time difference was greater, but they would be crazy to undercut themselves so quickly. It will be at least $350 I think. But thats just my opion, so...
November 6, 2007 11:09:45 PM

Believe me, if the HD 3870 is benchmarking anywhere close with the 8800 GT and its going for $175 to $200, the 8800 GT will come down.

Remember, if all NVidia is doing on the GTS is NOT lasering the extra 16 shaders, they can sell it for 300 USD and make a much bigger margin on basically the same card as the GT on a cost-to-manufacture basis. Now that doesn't mean retailers won't bump up the price if the demand is high and supply low.

And of course, we'll see the normal range of factory OC'd cards that sell for up to $30 more than stock. That's why I am guessing that when first released the G92 GTS cards will be going for $340 to $370, but they will come back to $300 after Christmas - and that is when I will do my "step-up".

I am betting that THE hot "enthusiast" card this Christmas will be the G92 GTS and the hot "entry" gamer card will be a toss-up between the ATI and the GT.

November 6, 2007 11:13:16 PM

You may even see offers like:

"Buy the 8800 G92 GTS and get a 8800 GTS 320 to give as a gift for half price!" - just so they can unload their obsolete inventory.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2007 11:19:44 PM

You can dream all you want, but if nV has a 128SPU part hiding inside the G92, then the yields must be terrible in order to "not sell" a GT versus "not sell" a GTS+ at twice the price.

Time will certainly tell, but at this point in time it makes more sense to refresh the GTX/Ultra than to displace the GTS if you have the chance.

As for asummetical designs, it's not normal, but then again neither is a 384bit/768MB memory configuration, nor an inline 3, 5, 7 cylinder engine.

Just because it's the norm, doesn't mean it's not possible. And just like the old NV41/42, untraditional design doesn't always mean there's somethng left to unlock. The G9X may be exactly the same as the G92 only with a full 128SPU compliment, but that doesn't necessarily mean the G92 has that option anymore than those NV41/42 did.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2007 11:26:56 PM

mitchellvii said:
You may even see offers like:

"Buy the 8800 G92 GTS and get a 8800 GTS 320 to give as a gift for half price!" - just so they can unload their obsolete inventory.

Nah, you'll likely NEVER see that deal. It makes no sense "buy this and get one cheap one to send to a friend" they do that for TV products where you usually get a second one FREE for a friend (thus you think you got twice the value), not computer hardware. That would be like saying buy this QX6800 and get a Pentium D800 for $20. People would simply say, nah I just need the QX6800, why not give me an extra $5 off it instead?

Instead sell the GTS-320 at 3/4 it's previous price ($269->$200) and you'd unload all of them tomorrow and make more than that other offer.
November 6, 2007 11:52:31 PM

TGGA

With all due respect, you are completely wrong on this one. For one thing the GTS will NOT go for twice the GT's price, if that was your meaning. The GTS will go for $300 stock (but at a premium at launch) and $400 for the 1Gig version.

I honestly cannot believe you think they designed the G92 with just 112 shader units! That would just be silly from a business standpoint. That would mean that the ONLY way you could sell a "beefed" up version of the GT (like the GTS) would be to incur extra manufacturing costs such as higher speed ram.

We already know the G92 GTS won't be just an OC'd GT as the EVGA 8800 GT SSC is already cored at 700 Mhz and I seriously doubt they would go higher. Plus, the target market for the GTS, the "enthusiast", knows how to OC their own card and won't be sucked into paying more for just a factory OC.

In other words, to sell the GTS, they need to have something of REAL VALUE to offer, not just an extra 6 FPS. That means unlocking all 128 shaders. You have ZERO extra cost-to-manufacture and you get to increase your margins on the card beyond the GT. Its like FREE PROFIT and you can sell something the ATI 3800 series can't come close to competing with.

Your argument makes no sense at all from a business and marketing stand-point.
November 7, 2007 12:14:29 AM

pauldh said:
The informed buyer will get an 8800GT or 8800GTS with 512MB of RAM. The uninformed buyer will pay more for a 640MB 8800GTS that's still sitting on BestBuys shelves for it's old $400 list price. ;) 
(Funny, but sad cause it's true.)

yeah and they'll wonder why their's doesn't bench as well as yours. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2007 1:32:23 AM

mitchellvii said:

With all due respect, you are completely wrong on this one.

Well you've got about 6 weeks to find out don't you?

Quote:
I honestly cannot believe you think they designed the G92 with just 112 shader units! That would just be silly from a business standpoint. That would mean that the ONLY way you could sell a "beefed" up version of the GT (like the GTS) would be to incur extra manufacturing costs such as higher speed ram.

The assumption you make there is that there ever was an intention to sell as beefed up version in any other form than a dual chip card. You're making alot of assumptions that the Ultra=160SPU proponents did. And 2 things that would instantly increase the value of the 'new GTS' with little cost would be faster RAM (still pretty cheap as an upgrade), plus better HSF (not counted), and the addition of TRi-SLi support. All of those would easily help push the GTS into the GTX's territory and then let you drop the $500 GTX for a $400 GTS, and leave your $600 Ultra untouched.

Quote:
We already know the G92 GTS won't be just an OC'd GT as the EVGA 8800 GT SSC is already cored at 700 Mhz and I seriously doubt they would go higher.

We 'already know' that do we? Sounds like the same arguments about the GF8800Ultra. Nothing compelling sofar either from a marketing or economic perspective. And the link at the top of the page goes back and forth about it either being a 128SPU G80 or an OC'ed 112SPU G92, not a 128SPU G92.

Quote:
Plus, the target market for the GTS, the "enthusiast", knows how to OC their own card and won't be sucked into paying more for just a factory OC.

Check out the number of X1950XTX and GF8800Ultra owners out there and then think about that statement again.
Plus, OC'ing only goes so far, faster memory modules can't be glued on by enthusiasts, neither can tri-SLi support, but a two slot cooler could so that someone's GT could look like a 'new GTS'.

Quote:
In other words, to sell the GTS, they need to have something of REAL VALUE to offer, not just an extra 6 FPS.

Once again, like the Ultra?

Quote:
You have ZERO extra cost-to-manufacture and you get to increase your margins on the card beyond the GT.

Your fixed cost of manufacturing isn't higher if it's already present, only your yield drop, and thus you need to increase price to cover the yield differential. Also in your example the GT is now an over designed chip and it costs MORE to make than if the transistor count were lower, so you've cut into it's margins.

Quote:
Its like FREE PROFIT and you can sell something the ATI 3800 series can't come close to competing with.

Which you know less about than if there's a 128SPU G92.
You don't know what the RV670 max is, nor the R680 situatio, so to make that assumption is more pie in the sky chatter.

Quote:
Your argument makes no sense at all from a business and marketing stand-point.

It makes alot more than yours that talk about dethroning their $600 part with a $300 part and nothing to fill the $600 space (and also make it tougher on yourself to fill it later and avoid the SLi pinch like the GF7900GTX felt).

You have some very pretty dreams there, but until something more materializes, that's all they are.

And the most dream-world part would be your vision that a part that displaces the Ultra will be anywhere near the $300 mark in the next 90days.
November 7, 2007 8:38:29 AM

TGGA,

Wow, dude, are you being sarcastic or do you really believe the things you are saying here?

WHY would ANYONE buy a $700 Ultra for Christmas when the new dual-gpu models are being released in Q1? I can guarantee you, the Q1 models will SMOKE an Ultra and yet you think that the Ultra will remain the "go-to" enthusiast product for Christmas 07? Would someone buy an '07 Porsche in December for full price when they know a much better model is coming out in January for the same or even less?

No, no, no. Sorry, but to use the "train-wreck" analogy you seem to enjoy, THAT my friend is a "train-wreck" of bad logic.

1. NVidia KNOWS that the hard-core enthusiast with money to spend will be waiting for the Q1 releases to replace their existing Ultras.

2. NVidia wants a sexy product for the Christmas season that goes after the 8800 GTS 640 price-point crowd and THAT will be the G92 8800 GTS 1 Gig Model.

3. The ONLY knock on the GT is that it can't handle anti-aliasing at higher resolutions better than the GTX because of its limited ram. The G92 8800 GTS 1 Gig SOLVES that problem at a 8800 GTS 640 price.

4. I still think it is flat out fall-on-the-floor-funny that you actually believe that for some reason, nVidia has shifted their entire manufacturing process from 8 groups of 16 shader units to 7 groups, thus eliminating any "headroom" to come out with a "cheap-to-make" GTS model. That would be an astronomically stupid marketing move on nVidia's part. Why don't you post an article arguing that point on a major blog. You'll be laughed off the Internet.

5. You say I am crazy to think nVidia would replace the Ultra with a $300 part? Well, actually, it will be the 1 Gig model at $400 that fully replaces the Ultra due to the ability to handle higher resolutions and anti-aliasing. All I can say is that they have come darn close (3%) to replacing the $600 GTX with a $250 part, why not replace the $700 Ultra with a $400 part? (The $300 version will beat the Ultra on lower resolutions).

CONCLUSION:
If I had told you that nVidia would release a $250 product in Q4 that could post 3DMark06 scores of over 15,000, you would have said I was "dreaming" then too. My only wonder is if you will learn some humility from this experience?
December 4, 2007 9:07:14 PM

to answer all talk i searched around for news on the new 8800gts 512mb
i found out that it has already been tested
here is a link to that site

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/18/page_18_bench...

i am showing the crysis page because that is the only one any one really cares about
regarding price it is on the "final thought" page saying its going to be $299-349
and to the people going to "step up" to the 8800gts for any amount of money would be making the wrong choice
you get MAYBE 2 frames per second more than the 512 8800gt.
if all you have to do is pay posting, then sure why not , but personally i wouldn't pay $20 more for this card if i had an 8800gt
!