EVGA 680i not Available/Overpriced - Now Striker Extreme?

Tampa_Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
I have finally have almost all the parts I need for my new build next week (I was even able to finally obtain a pair of EVGA 8800 GTs). However, when I went to purchase my previously selected MBoard (the EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68 A1) it was either sold out or was unbelievably jacked up in price to almost within a stone's throw from the Striker Extreme (within $20). Other parts en route include (Q6600 G0 step, 2x EVGA 8800 GT, P182 case with PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad, Zalman CNPS8500 Cooler and Barracuda 7200.11 500GB ND).

I currently own and have had a great experience with 4 prior ASUS boards.

Since I need to order today in order to get it for the long Thanksgiving weekend here in the U.S. next week. I am seriously considering the Striker Extreme (can be had for under $300). I am not concerned about the price, but am concerned to find out whether or not this board got over its initial bumps based on reviews I read which criticized the BIOS and overclocking ability. I am not going for high over-clocking, just mild air-cooled OC. I am more interested in a very stable MB that I won't have to mod (i.e. I knew I was going to have to re-apply thermal paste to several components on the EVGA).

So Striker users, good experience so far? Anyone using a stable 2x2 GB RAM setup they can recommend (as I will need to buy it when I buy the MBoard).

STRIKER EXTREME is a good board but ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS offers the same features but its alot cheaper, so i suggest u getting it instead and save some $

the reason STRIKER is expensive is becase it has some things u wont need like LCD poster and also ASUS has named it a gaming motherboard (advertising)

Tampa_Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply Maziar, as always your advice is very welcome. Thanks again for your help in my original thread as well.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Thats sound advice. The Striker is a good bit more expensive for not much gain. Too bad 780i (I guess that is what they'll name it) isn't coming for a while.

I did find an EVGA 680i board on the egg for $159.99 + a $20 MIR on the egg. I could only find the Striker for $300

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Maziar is correct. The ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS is a nice board. I have the Striker and really like it, but for less money and almost the same features you can get the P5N32-E SLI PLUS.