Sign in with
Your question

EVGA 680i not Available/Overpriced - Now Striker Extreme?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 16, 2007 2:02:13 PM

I have finally have almost all the parts I need for my new build next week (I was even able to finally obtain a pair of EVGA 8800 GTs). However, when I went to purchase my previously selected MBoard (the EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68 A1) it was either sold out or was unbelievably jacked up in price to almost within a stone's throw from the Striker Extreme (within $20). Other parts en route include (Q6600 G0 step, 2x EVGA 8800 GT, P182 case with PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad, Zalman CNPS8500 Cooler and Barracuda 7200.11 500GB ND).

I currently own and have had a great experience with 4 prior ASUS boards.

Since I need to order today in order to get it for the long Thanksgiving weekend here in the U.S. next week. I am seriously considering the Striker Extreme (can be had for under $300). I am not concerned about the price, but am concerned to find out whether or not this board got over its initial bumps based on reviews I read which criticized the BIOS and overclocking ability. I am not going for high over-clocking, just mild air-cooled OC. I am more interested in a very stable MB that I won't have to mod (i.e. I knew I was going to have to re-apply thermal paste to several components on the EVGA).

So Striker users, good experience so far? Anyone using a stable 2x2 GB RAM setup they can recommend (as I will need to buy it when I buy the MBoard).
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 16, 2007 2:37:29 PM

STRIKER EXTREME is a good board but ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS offers the same features but its alot cheaper, so i suggest u getting it instead and save some $

the reason STRIKER is expensive is becase it has some things u wont need like LCD poster and also ASUS has named it a gaming motherboard (advertising)
November 16, 2007 2:38:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Maziar, as always your advice is very welcome. Thanks again for your help in my original thread as well.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 16, 2007 2:43:39 PM

No problem mate :)  glad i could help you
November 16, 2007 5:03:43 PM

Thats sound advice. The Striker is a good bit more expensive for not much gain. Too bad 780i (I guess that is what they'll name it) isn't coming for a while.

I did find an EVGA 680i board on the egg for $159.99 + a $20 MIR on the egg. I could only find the Striker for $300
November 16, 2007 5:45:13 PM

Maziar is correct. The ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS is a nice board. I have the Striker and really like it, but for less money and almost the same features you can get the P5N32-E SLI PLUS.
!