Sign in with
Your question

New build please comment

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2007 4:19:40 PM

Hi all,

Following are components for new build - MOBO will support Crossfire - but I can only afford single card for now;) Any comments or suggestions?

Antec 900 case

Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W PSU

Asus Maximus Formula SE Mobo

Q6600 CPU

Zalman CNPS9500-Cu-LED CPU cooler

2 GB OCZ (OCZ2P800R22GK) DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum XTC Revision 2

ATI 2900 GPU

74 GB WD Raptor - for OS & Applications

500 GB WD Caviar SE16 for data/games

More about : build comment

October 25, 2007 4:27:09 PM

-Good Brand PSU, but I'm not sure it will have enough power *when* you SLI/Crossfire.

-Alot of people recommend the 680i(or something close to that) for a mobo, supposedly it is good quiality and cheap. Actually, Idk..is crossfire essentially the same thing as SLI. <--- Forget this bullet point.

-If you are thinking about getting a videocard for around that price(300, last time I checked) then I would wait for the new 8800GT/8800GTS 640MB/RV670(from ati). Although, yours would be pretty good, I would recoommend wainting to see the reviews.

Everything else look good. Just make sure you have the same mobo/CPU socket. ;) 

-Adam
October 25, 2007 4:38:51 PM

Thanks aadamscz, I had concern over the PSU as well - fact is it fits my budget at this time. It's a bit of a risk but crossfire is into the future and will have to wait anyway. Worse case scenario I will have to get a new PSU when I can properly afford a crssfire set up!

The Asus Maximus formula mobo is certified for crossfire - not Nvidia SLI - despite this being a less than stellar year for ATI I am confident (read hoping) they will redeem themselves with next gen cards supporting PCI-E R2.0 etc. If not I will throw in the single hottest card on the market at a later date Nvidia or otherwise!
Related resources
October 25, 2007 5:21:37 PM

Blazingcatfur said:
Thanks aadamscz, I had concern over the PSU as well - fact is it fits my budget at this time. It's a bit of a risk but crossfire is into the future and will have to wait anyway. Worse case scenario I will have to get a new PSU when I can properly afford a crssfire set up!

The Asus Maximus formula mobo is certified for crossfire - not Nvidia SLI - despite this being a less than stellar year for ATI I am confident (read hoping) they will redeem themselves with next gen cards supporting PCI-E R2.0 etc. If not I will throw in the single hottest card on the market at a later date Nvidia or otherwise!

SLI means using two video cards made by nVidia. It's best done on 680i mobos, such as eVGA 680i A1 or Asus P5N32-E SLI. Crossfire is the same but with cards made by ATI, and it's best done on 975X mobos (e.g. Asus P5W-DH) or X38 mobos (e.g. GA-X38-DQ6). The Maximus does not support SLI, but it supports Crossfire. The HD2900Pro or HD2900XT are good choices for Crossfire.

If you want to use two HD2900XT cards don't get the 620HX, it's great for one such card but can't handle two. It doesn't even have the PCI-E connectors for it. Get the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Crossfire. Make sure you get the one labeled Quad Crossfire, not the one labeled just Quad, because the "Crossfire" has 6/8 pins and you need the 8 pin connectors for HD2900XT. If you want to pay $150 for a 620HX now and then again $200 for a Silencer when you add the second video card, and go through the hassle of replacing PSUs, be my guest. I'd rather pay $200 up front and be done with it. I guess the 620X can be resold after all...
You can save some money by replacing the Zalman cooler with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7, or not getting any cooler at all. You can do a bit of overclocking even with the stock cooler if you really want.

You could replace the Raptor and WD5000AAKS with a single WD7500AAKS. The speed of the WD7500AAKS is very close to the Raptor (even better in some benchmarks), and you get more space for less money. Of course, sometimes it helps to have two separate disks. You decide, of course.
October 25, 2007 5:47:58 PM

Thanks aevm that is sage advice regarding the PSU.
October 26, 2007 1:06:28 AM

That's great news about the cables, thanks!

I liked the article at overclockers too, shocking...

Asus says you should get a 750W PSU for its HD2900XT:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=8&l3=544&l4=0&model=1669&modelmenu=1

ATI says the 620HX is certified for 1900XT Crossfire but not for HD2900XT Crossfire. The list of certified PSUs is here:
http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown2.html
You don't need an Enermax Galaxy 1000W, true, but at least get something from that list. The Silencer 750W is one of the smallest there.
October 26, 2007 12:23:50 PM

AEVM here is another link on the PSU issue:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/462/1/

2 x 8800 GTX SLI system, running on 620HX 620W PSU. I suspect that the push for "Bigger n Bigger" PSU's results primarily from marketing hype - companies do have to pay to have their PSU's certified as SLI or Crossfire ready after all so why not push your highest end product, offering your biggest margin. While a little extra wattage headroom never hurts, just how much is required os evidently a good deal less than we have been lead to believe.
October 26, 2007 2:03:50 PM

Nice!!!

OK, go for the 620HX. It obviously works, so why not. It's a very good PSU, can't go wrong with it. Just be kind to it, don't add too many hard disks :) 

Now I'm really confused - why would ATI not certify the 620HX for HD2900XT CF? It is in ATI's interest to certify as many PSUs as possible, especially the ones in the <$150 range, because right now the PSUs they do certify are all very expensive and that means fewer potential buyers. Weird...
October 26, 2007 3:07:01 PM

Just a thought, but maybe the standard for certification is set on the high side to cover the full spectrum of situations/configurations? I didn't read the articles you linked, yet, but you have to wonder how complete their studies are compared to the mfgs. Then again, they might just want to drive sales. Better safe than sorry though, you think?

I'd also wonder about the PSU losing strength over time. I just don't think that because you can get a system up and running and apparently stable that this would prove the PSU was adequate for the long haul. We need more data.
October 26, 2007 7:23:48 PM

It would be nice if Tom's addressed the PSU requirement issue.
October 26, 2007 7:46:55 PM

Agreed. Oh well, I'm sure some sites will do it soon, even if Tom's doesn't. It's getting out of hand, really, with these 1300W PSUs that don't even fit in normal cases.
!