First Timer needs input

nbay

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I have been thinking of building a homebuilt system for quite a while. When I looked to purchase a new system I realised that someone could buid a better system for less.

I am nervous about doing this but I decided that I am going to try. I have changed drives, installed network cards , video cards and ram but I am not sure if I am going to make big mistake. I have read numerous articles about it and I think I am ready to do this.

I have also researched the components that I would like to use and I would like some input.

I would like to spend about $1000 to 1200 on this system. I have a mouse, keyboard, speakers I also have windows xp from my laptop but I am not sure if I can use it (I hope I can).

I am not OCing or running SLI or Crossfire.
I would be using the system for some gaming eg. MMORPG and in the future I would like to try and run Crysis but I know this system is not going to be optimal for that.
I would also like a system that I can upgrade in a year and keep most of the parts.
My prices are all Canadian for directcanada.com

Case Antec 900 for $105
Mobo Asus P5K atx lga775 p35 ddr2 $136
CPU E6750 first choice because of price $214 , 2nd q6600 $300 and 3rd E6850 $314
PSU OCZ 700w GameXtream $100 with rebate
HD Seagate 320GB sata2 $90
DVD writer Sony $36
Video card 8800gts $280 or the new GT if its around the same price
No clue about RAM very confusing which one goes with the Mobo I want something reliable but cheap (not OCing)
3Gig , 2x1g and 2x512

Not sure if I need fan, cooler or paste .

your help is greatly appreciated

Nbay

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
For the ram look at the Qualified Vendor List for your mobo on ASUS's website.
As for the CPU get a quad.
Your other components look good.
Have you considered going to CanadaComputers if they are in your area? THey have better prices on many things.

Good luck and have fun!