Astrofabrical

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I posted this message in someone elses thread because I didn't see the "make new topic button" last night ~_~

I had 2gb of OCZ dual channel ram and bought 2 more for my rig. When only 2.5 showed up, I searched the web and found out that it was the usable memory that 32-bit windows has which kept me from using all 4 gigs. I got a copy of 64-bit windows XP Pro, installed it, downloaded the adequate 64-bit drivers I needed, and then stuck in all 4gb's of ram. Again, only 2.5 showed up, so I went into the bios and enabled S/W DRAM Over 4g Remapping. That half worked. This time when I booted up, 3gb were showing up instead of 2.5. I went back into the bios, disabled the S/W reamapping, and enabled the option directly below it; H/W DRAM Over 4g Remapping. This time, I didn't even make it into windows. It went to the screen that says for some reason windows didn't boot up on my last attempt, then gives options to start windows normally, start in safe mode, safe mode and command prompt, or start with the last setup that worked. I tried each option, but every time my computer would just restart. I went back into the bios and it shows that 4gb's are installed and that all 4 are usable.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS:My motherboard is an Asus A8N Sli-Premium. Also, I checked to make sure that all my ram works fine and that all the slots are also working.

Thanks.

bananatwinkie

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
did you update ur BIOS ? i read 4gb, i set it to cas latency 2.0. i have 2 sets of different ram. corsair & generic samsung. try updating your vista too

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Did you install the service packs? xp 64 prior to sp1 (perhaps sp2) had this issue.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

We all have our 'Doh...' moments.

Astrofabrical

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well, downloaded and installed SP2, but it still didn't fix my ram problem. I thought my bios was up to date, but when i checked I realized it was a pretty old version. I downloaded the newest bios update, burnt it to a CD as a bootable disk, and tried it out. It seemed like my computer was doing something, but then it gave me an A prompt... I had no idea what to do so I took the CD out and restarted my computer hoping that the bios was updated, but it wasn't. Anyone know what I need to do when it gives me that prompt?

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
i am having the same exact problem and despite all my best efforts i can't seem to solve it. good luck! hopefully ms will address this issue in sp1.

Astrofabrical

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Can someone post a good and easy to use bios updater? The one I found, WinFlash Utility is confusing as hell and I don't want to screw this up for obvious reasons.

EDIT:Found one on the asus site, ran it, and now my 4gb's of ram are working!