Sign in with
Your question

New gaming rig, have most of the parts, suggestions?"

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2007 8:01:44 PM

Hey everyone I'm new here, at least at posting. Decided it was time to give these forums a shot as they have helped me much in the past!

So anyways, I am currently running a Athlon 64 3700+ (OC'ed to 2.8 Ghz), MSI 7800GTX 256mb, 1.5GB PC3200 DDR, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX (which I've had for 4 years), all in a CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Chassis. Hey when I built it 2 years ago this thing flew!
I'm running this on a 22" HP w2207 and Logitech Z-2300 Speakers.

Here's the specs on my new rig coming in:

-CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 / G0 stepping
-Mobo: ASUS Maximus Formula
-Gfx:now waiting... originally MSI 8800GTS 640mb
-Memory: 4GB G.Skill DDR2 PC6400 (4-4-3-5)
-Chassis: Antec P182
-PSU: CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 650W

needless to say it's a big upgrade and I'm pretty excited! Here's where my questions come in though.

Firstly, I have done some research and not come up with a straight answer, so i'll ask it here. I know I can OC the Q6600 to a good degree with good chassis airflow and stock HSF. However I want to OC to at least 3.0ghz on better than stock air cooling to keep my chip healthy :B. At the same time, I don't want the air cooling to make an excessive amount of noise (a little I don't mind). What would be the best solution for me in terms of air cooling (that won't cost more than $100, but the cheaper the better!).

Second, I plan on carrying over my old Sound Blaster Audigy 1 Platinum Ex again (this will be the 3rd system I use it in). The card, to me, still sounds awesome and the external box it came with allows me to easily hook up RCA cables, optical and so on. By upgrading to a new card, based on it's specs, would I get a considerable boost in performance for my new system, and would the sound output be considerably better?

Thirdly, the videocard I ordered originally was a MSI 8800GTS 640MB (stock OC'ed), but I resold it when it got here because I hear there is a new generation of GTS coming out very soon, as well as GT and new ATI cards. Any idea as to when the new ATI's come out, and any benchmarks or details you can show me? I'd also like to know about the new series GTS (not GT) coming out if possible.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies.

P.S. Anyone had any experience with my new chassis? any thoughts on it? seemed like a good pick to me.
October 25, 2007 10:31:29 PM

everything looks fine. Just get a 8800 GTX It'll Own
October 25, 2007 10:51:46 PM

Well, besides fans, air cooling is pretty limited. You could use a heatsink though. I'm not really knowledgeable in this area, so I am not the best person to ask.

I use on-board sound and I think it is fine, lol. Anyways, if you upgraded to a new card, you probably won't seen too much of a difference(how good can sound be?).

-8800GT supposedly out Oct. 29
-8800GTS 640MB(New Version) supposedly out Nov. 19
-Ati's RV670s supposedly out 2 days after the release of crysis(mid-November).

There really hasn't been much information on any card, we are just now seeing some *possibly real* benchmarks for the GT, 4 days before release.

Other than that, system looks like a monster.
Related resources
October 25, 2007 11:19:42 PM

aadamszc said:
Well, besides fans, air cooling is pretty limited. You could use a heatsink though. I'm not really knowledgeable in this area, so I am not the best person to ask.

I use on-board sound and I think it is fine, lol. Anyways, if you upgraded to a new card, you probably won't seen too much of a difference(how good can sound be?).

-8800GT supposedly out Oct. 29
-8800GTS 640MB(New Version) supposedly out Nov. 19
-Ati's RV670s supposedly out 2 days after the release of crysis(mid-November).

There really hasn't been much information on any card, we are just now seeing some *possibly real* benchmarks for the GT, 4 days before release.

Other than that, system looks like a monster.

Obviously not an audiophile...

Going to something like an X-fi now instead of the Audigy Platinum will give you a crisper sound as well as fuller, most of the sampling rates alone are double that of the Audigy. The X-fi is a better chip as well as better components (OPAMPS) and youll get more channels if needed.
Now comes the downside, your Z-2300's might lack a little in punch that will effect the output of a better sound card. If you are going VISTA drivers for the X-fi are sketchy at best, however, my experience with XP Pro is awesome. Also to get the connectivety that you currently have with your Audigy will be more expensive, youd be looking at an X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 ($260 newegg) or X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty ($170) which if your on a budget is a big whole in the pocket that you may not need.

The ASUS P5E LGA 775 is a little cheaper and looking at specs is only missing the dual LAN of the Maximus

Good choice with the CPU i have one myself... OCing wise you should be able to get 3.0Ghz easily on air, look at a Thermalright 120 Extreme Ultra with a nice 120mm fan (Scythe make some goodies).

PSU wise it looks ok, i would also consider Antec NeoHE or Trio and Corsair520/620W and PCPC psu's

Casewise i own a P180 which is only slightly different to the P182 good cooling quiet and plenty of room. Although its timely to setup (running cables etc.) and if you do get a current GTX you have to remove top hdd cage.

GPU 8800GT looks to be the card to get if you purchasing soon, otherwise re-evaluate when the new AMD's come out on the RV670 as suggested. By this stage Nvidia may have changed there 8800 range around more to be somewhat more performance.
October 25, 2007 11:27:55 PM

Haha sounds good!

So I decided to go with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for my air cooling as people seem to rave about it (getting 3.4ghz overclock on q6600 2.4ghz and what not).

Video card I've not decided on yet, only that I'm going to wait to see what ATI and NVidia come out with by november. Smartest choice right?
!