Sign in with
Your question

Quiet and Upgradeable Build, comments please

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2007 9:27:30 PM

Ok, well I've always been a fan of computers that quiet, but I also want something thats decent for gaming.
I don't want to break the bank right now, but at the same time I want something that I can build on for the next few years, this generally means a bad ass, cutting edge motherboard and some cheap ass components, so heres what I got for now:

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6 ($350)
Supports quad-core and 45nm processors
DDR3
2 full x16 pci-express slots
tons of extras and a decent overclocker from what I've heard

Processor:
Intel E2160 1.8GHz ($90)
Cheap, decent overclock for when the system starts feeling sluggish

Heat Sink
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme ($65)
Can use it on future processors
Use passive cooling with decent case flow

Video Card:
GIGABYTE GV-NX86S256H GeForce 8600GTS 256MB ($170) maybe 2 for SLI?
Passive Cooling
pretty cheap

RAM:
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ($240)
Cheap, Fast

Hard Drive:
Western Digital WD2500YS ($80)
Quiet
Cheap
Low-Heat
Pretty Quick
October 25, 2007 9:34:50 PM

Quote:
Video Card:
GIGABYTE GV-NX86S256H GeForce 8600GTS 256MB ($170) maybe 2 for SLI?
Passive Cooling
pretty cheap

Just wait if you plan on buying two. See if the 8800GT is cheaper than the two combined. (Remember with SLI two mid-range cards does not = top end card)

That motherboard seems pretty nice.

Quote:
RAM:
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ($240)
Cheap, Fast

DDR3 RAM is all price man. It's not worth it. I think the only difference between it and DDR2 is power consumption.

Also, what are you planning on using to power all of this?
October 25, 2007 10:16:36 PM

Well the 8600 GTS cards are for the passive cooling element, I mean I'd also need to find hacked drivers to run SLI on the X38 chipset. I'd really like to find an inexpensive way of quietly/passively cooling my processor and video cards, and that seemed like a good solution.

DDR3 was more of an investment in the future. I figured that DDR3, much like DDR2 when it first came out would not be terribly fast, however, in a year or so I expect it to be the standard that everyone uses. I'd like to get the most advanced Motherboard possible, so that I can easily and inexpensively upgrade.

For power ... well I wasn't sure, probably somewhere upwards of 600 watts, not sure exactly what power supply and I'd definitely need to get a case with good air flow if I want passive cooling.
Related resources
October 25, 2007 11:56:49 PM

I was reading a comment in another forum about living in a cardboard box to support their ddr3 habits. I lol'ed. DDR3 is too expensive. If you really want ddr3, make a compromise. Get a board that does both ddr2 & 3.

P5KC is a pretty good board.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=16...

GA-P35C-DS3R is another good one.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_...

Intel is releasing X48 chipset in Q1/2008. X38 is just a transition. I'd skip it. P35 is the best choice right now. Both price & performance wise.
October 26, 2007 12:59:18 AM

Shakey said:
Well the 8600 GTS cards are for the passive cooling element, I mean I'd also need to find hacked drivers to run SLI on the X38 chipset. I'd really like to find an inexpensive way of quietly/passively cooling my processor and video cards, and that seemed like a good solution.

DDR3 was more of an investment in the future. I figured that DDR3, much like DDR2 when it first came out would not be terribly fast, however, in a year or so I expect it to be the standard that everyone uses. I'd like to get the most advanced Motherboard possible, so that I can easily and inexpensively upgrade.

For power ... well I wasn't sure, probably somewhere upwards of 600 watts, not sure exactly what power supply and I'd definitely need to get a case with good air flow if I want passive cooling.

The problem is that you spending $400-$500 extra now to avoid paying $200-$300 in the future.
And the parts you have now will be inferior in the future.

The Dual 8600GTS makes sense, but you should pair it with a 650SLI or 680SLI and DDR2.
Forget Passively Cooling your CPU unless you plan to really restrict it to very slow speeds and poor performance.

But some of the really big coolers like the Tuniq Tower can use relatively quite fans and provide good cooling performnace.

The ZERODBA PSU has the option of running fanless, but something like a 600+ watt Corair/Seasonic/PCP&C is likely a little better choice.
!