• Laptops
  • Sony
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows Vista
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2011 11:14:29 PM

Hello,
I tried restoring my Sony laptop and it stopped at 53 percent and gave me the message 'returned 41 while restoring an image'. And now when I load it up it says it has cannot detect the operating system. What is going on?! Is it possible to get data back from this? Hope someone can explain. Cheers.

More about : windows detect operating system vista

a c 225 D Laptop
a b Ù Sony
May 18, 2011 3:26:38 PM

Soon as you start restoring the system your data gets wiped, it should warn you about that when you start.

You can just try to run the restore again, if it fails again you may have a bad restore disk or a bad hard-drive. According to Sony, it's a hard-srive error. http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?exter...

Get a new drive for the system and try again.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2011 6:00:09 PM

Thanks for replying. I used the restore from the operating system and not a disk. If I get a new hard drive I'll need to get a new operating system wont I? Will it also delte all the drivers etc from the computer? Many thanks.
a c 225 D Laptop
a b Ù Sony
May 18, 2011 6:45:48 PM

The new drive won't have the restore partition, so you'd either have to order an actual disk from Sony, or buy an OEM disk for Vista and use that. The new drive will have nothing on it from the old one, so you'd have to install the OS, then download the drivers for your system off Sony's support site.
Related resources
!