Go with.........

Should I go with Quad6700, Penryn,or keep system as is?

• Penryn

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Quadcore 6700

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep as is

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • E6850

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Ive gotten answers and read a lot of articles. Ive seen a lot of buzz on Penryn. I have a E6300 with a Saphire x1900xtx. In the coming months (perhaps late winter, next spring or summer) Im lookng to upgrade my system and do some serious gaming. Should I keep my system as is? Should I go to Q6700 (when the price drops when Penryn is released) or shoud I go with the new Penryn?

* It doesn't matter if I have to replace mobo*
* I have a similar poll in the video card forum under NVidia if I should ditch my x1900xtx for a 8800 GTS or GTX*
*If I have to also, I'll replace my video card as well and if you have input on this; vote on my poll for video card please*

Thank you

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
looks like you dont care about money at all~
so for SERIOUS GAMING you should go with that q6700. the reason i didnt bought q6600 for my new system is because most games do not use all 4 cores. but quad cores are good. ^^
your graphics card - x1900xt, it is okay but again, for SERIOUS GAMING i recommend 8800GTX

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
if money is no problem. ill go with Q6600 n just overclock the thing. AND ill wait two more weeks to know how the new ati card will offer n compre it with 8800GT.(this if for the time being) and if u wait a while. u can get better 8800GTS or 8800GTX since they gonna bring out them soon. or just sli

You can always overclock the E6300 unless you bought a brand name PC. If you really feel the need upgrade and you wanna play games then the GPU is the first thing you should upgrade.

Personally, I'm looking to upgrade my E6600 to a E9450 quad core based on Penryn. However, you need to realize that there aren't many games that can take advantage of quad cores right now. The recently released Crysis demo can only take advantage of 2 cores, maybe the retail version will make full use of a quad core. Maybe not. But buying a quad core makes your PC more "future proof" if you don't intend on upgrading for a few or several years.

In my case, I am also contemplating waiting for Nehalem to come out late 2008 or early 2009. It will introduce two new sockets and will not be compatible with LGA775.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Ive never o/c'd which is why I probably wont do it (Im a chicken!). I was thinking of watching the Penryn prices and seeing the reviews when they are actually released. If I get Penryn then I wont be upgrading for a while. I was also looking into the 8800GT that was just released. The 8800GTX and its $500 price tag is high. I was looking at the GTS but the new 8800GT seems like its better than the GTS. Did the GTS get discontinued? I think I read that on gamespot.com about the release today of the GT. It mentioned that the best thing to do is save money on 8800GTX and get to 8800GT's and run SLI or at least get one which beats the GTS.

(Thank you so far)

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Since you are planning late winter..... I would PLAN on Penryn. At a later date you can backdown to a weaker CPU should the cost versus performance ratio of Penryn does not meet your expectations.