New gaming system build

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hi, I am building a gaming rig that will be used to play new high-end games but will also be used as an all-purpose computer (hence the two DVD drives+extra HD). I am pretty much decided on the parts except for 2GB of RAM vs. 4GB. Comments on the build would be great.

Case: Antec 900 ATX
CPU: Q6600 (i will probably oc it sometime to around 3GHz)
Cooling: Zalman CNPS9500 (with LED)
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Quad Silencer 750W
Mobo: ASUS PK5N32-E SLI
Vid. Card: PNY XLR8 8800GTX
Memory: 2GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR2 800MHz
Hard Drive 1: Raptor 10000RPM 150GB
Hard Drive 2: Seagate 250GB 7200RPM
DVD: Two 20x DVDRW w/Lightscribe

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
If you do decide to go with 4GB or ram, I would go with Vista 64bit. (Psst...There are alot of vista haters on this forum.)

If you don't ever decide on SLIing, then you can get a non-SLI MOBO.

Otherwise it looks pretty good.

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
im thinking that if i go with 4GB ill just stick with 32-bit and use the ~3.2GB of RAM that is availiable because of better software compatability and drvier support. (why u gotta hate vista? :D)

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
P35 chipset mainboard is best single card GPU board for price.. look at Gigabyte or ASUS if you dont want SLI

Id go 4gb either way in a 2x2gb if you can afford it. More RAM is better, and that also leaves you room to upgrade.

Consider waiting on purchase as the new NVIDIA and AMD GPU options are comming and you maybe dissappointed in 2 months when the GTX aint the top of the pack anymore. You could look at an eVGA card and get there Step-Up Program which could help eliminate that 2-3month issue.

CPU cooling i would look at the thermalright 120 Ultra its the best thing out there for C2D arch.

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
ill look into 4GB of RAM but it would be 4x1GB. As far as video cards go, I understand that the GTX might be outdated but Im not as concerned about not having the "best" video card. Im fairly sure the 8800GTX will be running high-end games at max or near-max settings for awhile and Im not planning to upgrade it anytime soon. Im definitely not changing the board (Im pretty much sticking with SLI support for now) and as far as cooling goes, I dont want the thermalright because of size issues with my case (itll give me something like a .5 inch of clearance between the cooler and the side of the case). I'm interested in the performance benefits of 2GB vs 4GB (~3.2GB to be used) in 32-bit Vista Home Premium. Any info on that would be great.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Here's my $.02:

I'd do 2x2GB. You'll get slightly looser timings but as always more memory is better than faster memory, especially going forward. 4x1GB is alright, but it's harsh on the motherboard and doesn't leave any room to upgrade.

Definitely get Vista64. It's way easier to update your drivers than it is to update your OS :)

Also I don't think that Raptor is necessary. Go for a single larger drive instead of the two smaller ones. The performance drop will be negligible and the extra space will be well worth it.

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
As far as the memory goes, im not sure which 2GB modules my mobo supports so i think 2x2GB is out of the question (its also more expensive). If I ever upgrade my system to 8GB I would probably be getting faster RAM anyway. As for the HD Im not looking to change that even tho the performance is only a little better. Vista is my big question mark. Should I get 64-bit? What are the advantages of 32-bit? Can any1 give a link to compatable games in 64-bit?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Not all games utilise SLI very well so two of them isn't better than one monster graphics card, graw 1 & 2 don't even use the second card at all, so its useless. "Its better to buy one monster graphics card for those games that only utilise one card". I have friends that have been playing the graw games for over a year now and that second 8800 GTX has just sat there doing nothing, what a waist of $$$.

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
it doesnt make sense that a 250$ 8800GT should out-perform a 400$ 8800GTS. I have a feeling some of these "leaked" benchmarks are fake.

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

lol, vista isnt so bad :D ill probably wait till monday tho b4 ordering my card

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

I agree... if you have the horsepower to run it and your games no problem, what's the big deal? :p

samurai weasel

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
if you want a cooler that cools good and looks good, go for the zalman 9700 if you have the money otherwise go for the thermalright 120 Ultra as
chookman said

bcboy

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Why do people hate Vista so? My Athlon 3000+ runs it just fine, and my new C2D e6550 is gonna kick Vista's @$$! Yeah, Vista puts some serious load on your computer, but that's why we're thinking about new systems, isn't it? To have more power to do stuff? Well, let's do Vista with it!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

I think most are upgrading to run some of the many awesome new games that are comming out. Its got nothing to do with Vista (well maybe a small amount). I know i just bought a new Dell 2407 and ill be getting one of the 8800 series cards *updated ones* when they come out to run Crysis, Bioshock, Orange Box etc. and ill still be using the trusty XP Pro.

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Im really on the fence about vista vs xp and am looking for some concrete reasons to go one way or the other. I like DX10 and some of the eyecandy vista offers but Ive heard the antivirus program can delete your own programs without warning and im still shaky about the driver issues and game compatability. Good and bad vista stories would be helpful. This is the ONLY problem I have left before I build so I really need to get it solved.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Build a duel boot system, one HDD for XP and the other for Vista. The best of both worlds.

bcboy

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007

Need any other reason but eye candy? Seriously though, next time u get a chance, go take a look at a vista system...a really good look... The start menu's built-in search function is awesome, as are the search bars in all the explorer windows. Click on one, type in a program exec, hit enter, just like Start-->Run... in XP, but smarter. who needs to remember C:\Program Files\Insert Name Here\runme.exe ? Bah, type runme, its all good. Vista indexes your most used directories automatically. On a single-core system, I did notice a lag effect when it was indexing, but after the first couple of days, it generally indexes while your sleeping. That's just one of the improvements Vista has in store.

o_O? Where'd u hear that one? Vista uses all the common av programs, norton, avg, zonealarm, and NOD32, so that statement seems um...wrong.

I was too, when I first put Vista on my computer. Then again, I got a pre-release of Vista the first time. My dad was part of the 'quality-control process' :S And, yeah, at the time, there were no drivers, a lot of the xp and pre-xp software didn't work. But Vista worked like a charm lol. And now that the OS has grown out of infancy, the drivers are there, the compatibility issues have been addressed (somewhat), and Vista worked just fine in my second install, and on my new beast too, which I'm typing this out on, while running a virus scan, Media Player, whatchamacallit Video Desktop, ALL the bells and whistles!

There's your good stuff. I have only one thing bad to say about Vista. Don't expect this OS to run properly on a PIII or less. This ain't yer grandaddy's operating system, sonny! It's a bit of a hog, but its worth it. For a new machine, there's really no question in my opinion.

Yeah, that's a great idea. I did the same thing when I did the second install. After about two weeks with Vista, I never looked back. After a month, the XP drive was formatted for storage space.

EDIT: but be careful if you decide to do that. If Vista is on your second HD, it won't set the partition active, so when you switch it to primary, your system won't boot. I spent quite some time scratching my head over that one...eventually it was a mix of fdisk and fdisk /mbr that saved the day.

This wasn't supposed to be a rant about Vista, but it appears that I have a lot to say...

:sol:

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
after alot of serious thinking, im thinking that im gonna go with xp. I hope this is not a mistake but vista doesnt seem to be worth it yet for DX10. i may upgrade (or dual boot) in the future. Now im just wondering which version of xp to go with...any ideas?

bcboy

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
My old 2.0GHz was running Vista with 1.5GB. Relax, Vista won't kill your computer, or try to eat you, or any other scary thing you can think of. Take it from someone who is actually using Vista. For a new computer, Vista is the way to go.

bcboy

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Stop worrying. There's not that big of a problem there. If a certain program won't install, google it. 99% of the time, someone else has had the same problem by now. I'm tellin' ya, Vista is ready.

cheeseking25

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
can anyone give me some good reasons NOT to get vista (besides slight performance drops, RAM hogging,etc.) Im back to thinking im getting vista btw.