Acronis TI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all - plz excuse my lack of knowledge here. I recently used Acronis Back up and Restore for my system.
When I selected the options beforehand, I chose the create drive image, sector by sector function.

My question is simple for experienced users at this: If my C drive becomes corrupt, etc., will I be able to restore the OS (Win 7)
along with all the files and actually boot from the restored drive?

Sys = Win 7 home prem., i5-3570k, 2 - 500g hdd, Lg 24x DVD drive, Seasonic X650 PSU

Thanx

Tom

Solution
Yes, if you imaged your OS partition. That's the whole point of imaging your drive as a backup. I don't think you need the sector by sector option though, unless you are tying to image a damaged disk and need to recover deleted/lost files. I usually leave that option off and have never had a problem.
Yes, if you imaged your OS partition. That's the whole point of imaging your drive as a backup. I don't think you need the sector by sector option though, unless you are tying to image a damaged disk and need to recover deleted/lost files. I usually leave that option off and have never had a problem.

Solution

Gr8 - I kinda thot that was the situation, but needed confirmation from someone knowledgeable.
that sector by sector thing is tied to the 'image backup' tho.

Thanx
Tom

I could have sworn sector-by-sector was an option as this backs up even free space:

What is a sector-by-sector backup (raw image)?

The sector-by-sector backup allows you to create an image of all sectors of the selected partition. This image will contain not only sectors with data but also sectors that are free. As a result, this image will be equal in size to the disk being imaged, as there will be no data compression. This method is useful if a partition being backed up is not supported by Acronis True Image Home 2010 or is corrupted. In this case, all sectors of this partition are included in this image and will be restored.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq/sector-by-sector-backup/

I thought there was a smart option or perhaps just disabling sector-by sector that allowed you to image the drive/partition without backing up the free space. This makes your backup file smaller. I'm not at home so I can't chack my Acronis true image home 2012 right now.

Hawkeye - Yes, the option not to back up free or unused space was there, I didn't select it

Tom

....meaning I didn't backup the unused space (bacup was 94 gig n not 500 gig)

Thanx again

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.