Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Plz help with graphic card issue(8800gt?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 6, 2007 3:36:46 PM

Hey folks! Can I ask for some video-card advice? I am looking for a graphics card for my 17 inch Viewsonic CRT.
I love the display, not ready for an LCD yet.

THE MAXIMUM RESOLUTION OF THIS CRT is 1280 x 1024

Would an 8800 GT be overkill for this resolutions (as far as playing Crysis and other latest games with all features enabled). If an 8800gt is overkill, what card would you recommend for this resolution? (disregarding my other cpu configs, which will be upgraded 2 an oc'ed c2d with 2-4 gb ddr2. And I am sticking with XP for at least 6 months.Your insight and tech know-how would be greatly appreciated! :sol: 

BTW I have not logged in for awhile, so if this is a repeat question, sorry.

TY
November 6, 2007 4:08:28 PM

I don't see the rest of your specs but to answer your question..no, an 8800gt is not overkill. You should be able to run crysis on high settings@1280x1024 but definitely not very high.
November 6, 2007 4:18:51 PM

I have a general idea of my upgrade, but the resolution of my graphics are a concern.

antec 900
600 w ps
gigabyte ds3 or p35
2 or 4 gigs ddr2 dual channel
c2d (not sure which one now)

Crysis is the top ender 4 my setup . I play quite a few games with lesser specs, like Oblivion. (lesser specs, Oblivion? :lol: 

As i said , 1280x1024 is the MAX res my card will have to put out. And the 8800gt never seems to be in stock up here in Canada. Will an 8600 gt suffice 4 these resolutions? or should I wait for a stock 8800gt (If nvidia is REALLY making them)

Thanks for your reply though!
Related resources
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 6, 2007 4:24:13 PM

8800GT destroys the 8600GT in every game
November 6, 2007 6:00:41 PM

Yes, i've seen the benchies, but do you think it's necessary for resolutions 1280 x 1024 or less?
November 6, 2007 6:07:56 PM

If I were you I'd get a 8800GT.I've bought my 8800GTS about 3 weeks before I heard of the new 8800GT and am regretting that decision!
November 6, 2007 6:49:31 PM

Don't you hate it when you ask a question, but all of the answers don't seem to answer it?

Anyways, I honestly don't think that the 8600 would be able to play crysis very well. I also don't really think that an 8800GT would be too much of overkill.

On that same note, if you are looking for a cheaper card than the 8800GT and wan better performance(supposedly) than the 8600, I would wait until ~19th of November and check out the new cards from ATI.
November 7, 2007 1:48:41 AM

aadamszc said:
Don't you hate it when you ask a question, but all of the answers don't seem to answer it?

Anyways, I honestly don't think that the 8600 would be able to play crysis very well. I also don't really think that an 8800GT would be too much of overkill.

On that same note, if you are looking for a cheaper card than the 8800GT and wan better performance(supposedly) than the 8600, I would wait until ~19th of November and check out the new cards from ATI.



Yes, sometimes direct answers are hard to get...he he...I still like the feedback though!
As far as the wait, it seems that I've already waited forever.So to find out what ATI will have to offer in a couple of more weeks won't kill me.
But as far as my max gaming resolution of 1280x1024, anyone else have any recomendations 4 me?
November 7, 2007 2:05:12 AM

I wouldn't run Crysis on high resolutions anyways; it'll kill your frame rates. I'd run high settings on a lower res like 1024x768 or something. Any higher than 1280x1024 is going to sap those frame rates.
November 7, 2007 2:17:57 AM

syfon said:
I wouldn't run Crysis on high resolutions anyways; it'll kill your frame rates. I'd run high settings on a lower res like 1024x768 or something. Any higher than 1280x1024 is going to sap those frame rates.


The highest supported rate of my CRT is 1280x1024.

Ok...lets say I game primarily in 1280x1024 in games that can handle it, and 1024 x 768 only for Crysis and other video hungry games...Is the 8800GT still recommended in this case?

November 7, 2007 2:36:26 AM

cory1234 said:
I don't see the rest of your specs but to answer your question..no, an 8800gt is not overkill. You should be able to run crysis on high settings@1280x1024 but definitely not very high.



Wrong i run it on very high without a hitch at 31 fps with that resolution.
November 7, 2007 2:39:49 AM

xx12amanxx said:
Wrong i run it on very high without a hitch at 31 fps with that resolution.


Thanks, thats more towards my question folks...BTW what framerates do you get at 1024x768?

Thanks
November 7, 2007 4:48:49 PM

Pintail said:
Thanks, thats more towards my question folks...BTW what framerates do you get at 1024x768?

Thanks


Honestly i havent ran it on that resolution yet..But my guess would be about 35-42fps. Im limited on time becuase i work alot,but if i can figure out how to take a screen shot i would.
!