HDTV-Directv nightmares

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 29, 2005 1:58:13 AM

It took 4 tries and two follow-up service calls just to get the system
installed. My DIrectv bill goes up monthly but the service shows no
improvement. I cannot receive FOX or NBC in HD. The local CBS affiliate can
only be received over the air (with rabbit ears!). I am charged extra for
the ABC hi-def signal which is usually unwatchable because the audio and
video are unsynchronized. The HDTV package is a joke unless you like to
watch endless repeats of very bad recent movies, Discovery channel or TV
shows that were cancelled 3 years ago. Although the picture quality of what
little HDTV I can get is outstanding and DVDs are terrific on a hi-def
television I am profoundly sorry that I bought into this technology at this
point and strongly encourage people considering getting HDTV to evaluate
exactly what programming is available in their area. DIrectv advertises as
if it is a provider of a large number of HD services when nothing could be
further from the truth. Class action suit anyone?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:58:14 AM

This is why I still haven't bought an HDTV. Until I can buy or rent HD
content on an optical disk format, no money shall leave my wallet.
That way, I can be wowed by HD when I wanna be wowed by HD, and if I'm
able to get some neat stuff over the air, then bonus.

I'm still floored by how good DVD looks on a conventional 27" tv with a
component input. And to think I grew up with a 19" junker on rabbit
ears. The dark ages were very dark indeed.

-beaumon
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:58:53 AM

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in

> It took 4 tries and two follow-up service calls just to get the system
> installed. My DIrectv bill goes up monthly but the service shows no
> improvement. I cannot receive FOX or NBC in HD. The local CBS
> affiliate can only be received over the air (with rabbit ears!). I am
> charged extra for the ABC hi-def signal which is usually unwatchable
> because the audio and video are unsynchronized. The HDTV package is a
> joke unless you like to watch endless repeats of very bad recent
> movies, Discovery channel or TV shows that were cancelled 3 years ago.
> Although the picture quality of what little HDTV I can get is
> outstanding and DVDs are terrific on a hi-def television I am
> profoundly sorry that I bought into this technology at this point and
> strongly encourage people considering getting HDTV to evaluate exactly
> what programming is available in their area. DIrectv advertises as if
> it is a provider of a large number of HD services when nothing could
> be further from the truth. Class action suit anyone?

not me im happy with them
April 29, 2005 6:20:51 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean... I'm still impressed with the fidelity that AM
radio offers through my transistor radio.

<lorincantrell@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I'm still floored by how good DVD looks on a conventional 27" tv with a
> component input. And to think I grew up with a 19" junker on rabbit
> ears. The dark ages were very dark indeed.
>
> -beaumon

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:04:34 PM

over the air for NASCAR, 24, all three cities of CSI, football... evwen two
spanish channels.
and its free. not $80 which is what COX wanted for HD basic.

as far as disk playback, just be sure your next PC has a digital video out,
and you can just download your movies in HD and keep them on your hard
drive.

zeke

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> It took 4 tries and two follow-up service calls just to get the system
> installed. My DIrectv bill goes up monthly but the service shows no
> improvement. I cannot receive FOX or NBC in HD. The local CBS affiliate
> can only be received over the air (with rabbit ears!). I am charged extra
> for the ABC hi-def signal which is usually unwatchable because the audio
> and video are unsynchronized. The HDTV package is a joke unless you like
> to watch endless repeats of very bad recent movies, Discovery channel or
> TV shows that were cancelled 3 years ago. Although the picture quality of
> what little HDTV I can get is outstanding and DVDs are terrific on a
> hi-def television I am profoundly sorry that I bought into this technology
> at this point and strongly encourage people considering getting HDTV to
> evaluate exactly what programming is available in their area. DIrectv
> advertises as if it is a provider of a large number of HD services when
> nothing could be further from the truth. Class action suit anyone?

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:36:05 PM

<lorincantrell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is why I still haven't bought an HDTV.

HBO's Deadwood (and others) in HD makes it worth it for me.

> Until I can buy or rent HD
> content on an optical disk format, no money shall leave my wallet.
> That way, I can be wowed by HD when I wanna be wowed by HD, and if I'm
> able to get some neat stuff over the air, then bonus.
>
> I'm still floored by how good DVD looks on a conventional 27" tv with a
> component input. And to think I grew up with a 19" junker on rabbit
> ears. The dark ages were very dark indeed.
>
> -beaumon

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:23:14 AM

I agree completely. Any updates on the new format that may make our
DirecTiVo units obsolete? I don't mind waiting for more HD but if I need to
replace my $1,000 unit in order to receive it, I will not be happy.

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> It took 4 tries and two follow-up service calls just to get the system
> installed. My DIrectv bill goes up monthly but the service shows no
> improvement. I cannot receive FOX or NBC in HD. The local CBS affiliate
> can only be received over the air (with rabbit ears!). I am charged extra
> for the ABC hi-def signal which is usually unwatchable because the audio
> and video are unsynchronized. The HDTV package is a joke unless you like
> to watch endless repeats of very bad recent movies, Discovery channel or
> TV shows that were cancelled 3 years ago. Although the picture quality of
> what little HDTV I can get is outstanding and DVDs are terrific on a
> hi-def television I am profoundly sorry that I bought into this technology
> at this point and strongly encourage people considering getting HDTV to
> evaluate exactly what programming is available in their area. DIrectv
> advertises as if it is a provider of a large number of HD services when
> nothing could be further from the truth. Class action suit anyone?

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:26:35 AM

> Yeah, I know what you mean... I'm still impressed with the fidelity that
> AM radio offers through my transistor radio.

Funny thing is... I listen to AM more than I do FM.

Content over sound quality IMO.
April 30, 2005 6:53:24 PM

Duke,
<<HD right now is still a toy and
should not be considered anything other than that. I'm sorry to hear of
your experience, but I couldn't be happier. I went in with low expectations
and got more than I bargained for.>>

Agree, and if you only could see INHD channels 1&2 (see www.inhd.com)
available only on Cable, with their IMXAX movies and shows downconverted to
HD, you'll be truly stunned. Just those 2 channels, plus Discovery HD, are
worth the cost of the entire cable lineup. (with network TV on HD as a
bonus...heheheh)
Roger
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:53:06 AM

"Son of man" <bcozier@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> <lorincantrell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> This is why I still haven't bought an HDTV.
>
> HBO's Deadwood (and others) in HD makes it worth it for me.

The F word comes through clearer.

>> Until I can buy or rent HD
>> content on an optical disk format, no money shall leave my wallet.
>> That way, I can be wowed by HD when I wanna be wowed by HD, and if I'm
>> able to get some neat stuff over the air, then bonus.
>>
>> I'm still floored by how good DVD looks on a conventional 27" tv with a
>> component input. And to think I grew up with a 19" junker on rabbit
>> ears. The dark ages were very dark indeed.
>>
>> -beaumon

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:08:42 AM

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> It took 4 tries and two follow-up service calls just to get the system
> installed. My DIrectv bill goes up monthly but the service shows no
> improvement. I cannot receive FOX or NBC in HD. The local CBS affiliate
> can only be received over the air (with rabbit ears!). I am charged extra
> for the ABC hi-def signal which is usually unwatchable because the audio
> and video are unsynchronized. The HDTV package is a joke unless you like
> to watch endless repeats of very bad recent movies, Discovery channel or
> TV shows that were cancelled 3 years ago. Although the picture quality of
> what little HDTV I can get is outstanding and DVDs are terrific on a
> hi-def television I am profoundly sorry that I bought into this technology
> at this point and strongly encourage people considering getting HDTV to
> evaluate exactly what programming is available in their area. DIrectv
> advertises as if it is a provider of a large number of HD services when
> nothing could be further from the truth. Class action suit anyone?

Fortunately for me, my experience does not conform to yours. I get NBC, ABC,
CBS, Fox and FX flawlessly. I also get HBO, SHO, HDNet, Discovery, UHD, ESPN
and probably others. Picture quality varies from excellent to amazing. Some
of the movies aren't the greatest, but I would say the same if I saw them in
the movie theatre. That is not the fault of television. I also have a hi def
Tivo, which is fantastic. I have not watched a standard definition show in
months, except occasional Letterman and 60 Minutes. I am profoundly ecstatic
I got started with HDTV, and I would imagine that most folks feel that same
way I do.

DirecTV does provide more than adequate HDTV programming and is adding more
all the time. I got started with HDTV when I moved from a condo to a private
residence almost three years ago. At that time, your arguments were more 'on
the money'. I don't think DirecTV carried any HDTV networks, and OTA
reception was spotty in my area (about 25 miles north of Manhattan). Then,
they added CBS, then ABC and finally NBC. Now, between the network HDTV and
the movies, there is ample television to keep my busy. In fact, I have a
backlog. For example, I have at least five Joan of Arcadia and Lost
episodes, all HDTV thanks to the hi def Tivo, I will catch up on now that
the season has ended for most network shows.

I'm sorry you have not found HDTV fulfilling, but I certain have. Just my
two cents, seasonably adjusted for deflation.Your mileage may vary.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:11:53 AM

<lorincantrell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is why I still haven't bought an HDTV. Until I can buy or rent HD
> content on an optical disk format, no money shall leave my wallet.
> That way, I can be wowed by HD when I wanna be wowed by HD, and if I'm
> able to get some neat stuff over the air, then bonus.

If you want to watch recorded content, buy a hi def Tivo. You can record
many of the same movies you would rent, but you will watch them from a hard
drive rather than an optical disk. If that is your only objection, you need
not wait. Get started now, you will enjoy it.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:26:05 PM

In article <tL2de.4565$FE3.573@fe12.lga> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> writes:

>Fortunately for me, my experience does not conform to yours. I get NBC, ABC,
>CBS, Fox and FX flawlessly.

So do I.... all of them free, OTA. Well, all that is except FX. But I even
get UPN OTA

> I also get HBO, SHO, HDNet, Discovery, UHD, ESPN
>and probably others.

But all of these cost money.

>Picture quality varies from excellent to amazing. Some
>of the movies aren't the greatest, but I would say the same if I saw them in
>the movie theatre. That is not the fault of television.

True enough. But ESPN-HD, for the most part, is a total bust.

>I also have a hi def Tivo, which is fantastic.

We have an old series-1 TIVO with a lifetime sub and recently modified
with two brand-new 160-gig drives with simply gobs of storage capacity
even at "Best" quality (the only way I record). The TIVO folks won't let
me transfer my lifetime sub to another machine, so we'll keep this one's
heart beating as long as we can. Besides, ours is used mainly for
time-shifting & commercial-skipping.

HD broadcasts of "live" events are truly amazing, but I'm just not yet
overwhelmed by it because comparatively speaking there just isn't that
much quality viewing yet available in HD. This will of course improve with
time, but I'd guess we're today at least 5 or more years away from that
point.

I purchased the 55" Mitsu TV to replace the big set in the family room
that finally shelled out. HD picture quality is simply magnificent, tho
I'm really disappointed in the overall lack of "quality content" for HD
anytime 24/7 viewing. That said, if/when the bedroom or kitchen sets die
they likely won't be getting replaced with HD/ED unless that's all that's
then available.

One is enough for now.

I have not watched a standard definition show in
>months, except occasional Letterman and 60 Minutes. I am profoundly ecstatic
>I got started with HDTV, and I would imagine that most folks feel that same
>way I do.
>
>DirecTV does provide more than adequate HDTV programming and is adding more
>all the time. I got started with HDTV when I moved from a condo to a private
>residence almost three years ago. At that time, your arguments were more 'on
>the money'. I don't think DirecTV carried any HDTV networks, and OTA
>reception was spotty in my area (about 25 miles north of Manhattan). Then,
>they added CBS, then ABC and finally NBC. Now, between the network HDTV and
>the movies, there is ample television to keep my busy. In fact, I have a
>backlog. For example, I have at least five Joan of Arcadia and Lost
>episodes, all HDTV thanks to the hi def Tivo, I will catch up on now that
>the season has ended for most network shows.
>
>I'm sorry you have not found HDTV fulfilling, but I certain have. Just my
>two cents, seasonably adjusted for deflation.Your mileage may vary.

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 3:48:59 PM

Mr Fixit (MrFixit@msn.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> HD broadcasts of "live" events are truly amazing, but I'm just not yet
> overwhelmed by it because comparatively speaking there just isn't that
> much quality viewing yet available in HD.

Unless you are talking strictly about live events, there is *plenty* of
quality viewing available in HD.

As of now, there is only about one scripted show per night on *all* the OTA
networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, UPN) that isn't HD. In addition, there
are various sports and specials on all the networks, as well as late-night
shows (Leno and Conan now, with Letterman soon).

ESPN-HD is improving, with SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight, all NFL
coverage, all NBA playoff coverage, most MLB games, etc., being in HD.

HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD, Discovery HD Theater, and Universal HD all show
HD content 24/7. If you don't like movies like "Patton", "Full Metal
Jacket" or "12 Monkeys", you can watch "Revenge of the Nerds". TNT-HD
shows movies and NBA games in HD.

HBO-HD, Showtime HD, Starz HD, and The Movie Channel HD all show recent
movies (and some original series) in HD.

Then, there's HD porn on several channels (Spice and Playboy at least).

Add to that local HD broadcasts (regional sports networks, news, etc.), and
there is more HD than a person has time to watch. I've got nearly 40 hours
of HD shows sitting on my various DVRs just waiting to be watched.

Sure, if you watch nothing but "The History Channel" or MTV, you're not
going to see much HD. But, the variety of offerings on the various HD
channels I listed cover just about genre that anybody would want to
watch. There are some small gaps, but compared to three years ago when
you were lucky to see the Super Bowl in HD (which, as the #1 rated show
every year, seems a likely candidate for the *first* thing to be available
in HD), yet now you get billiards, poker, and cooking shows in HD.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/GiantWate...
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:24:12 AM

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in

> Duke,
> <<HD right now is still a toy and
> should not be considered anything other than that. I'm sorry to hear
> of your experience, but I couldn't be happier. I went in with low
> expectations and got more than I bargained for.>>
>
> Agree, and if you only could see INHD channels 1&2 (see www.inhd.com)
> available only on Cable, with their IMXAX movies and shows
> downconverted to HD, you'll be truly stunned. Just those 2 channels,
> plus Discovery HD, are worth the cost of the entire cable lineup.
> (with network TV on HD as a bonus...heheheh)
> Roger

I have to agree with you on the INHD alone being worth the cost of the
HDTV cox cable alone. The HBO HD channel and the Dscovery are just icing
on the cake.
!