Help choosing a router from 4.

Wrinkly_Ninja

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Right, I have finally decided to upgrade my wireless network. It is g ATM, but due to the layout and construction, I get virually no connection even in diagonal rooms. Since I game quite a lot, and network file transfers are used a lot in my house, I have opted to go for N. Now, I'm not a newbie, and I have tried every trick in the book to boost my connectivity, but it still isn't tenable. I was wondering what the community's opinion on the following wireless modem routers are, and which you would recommend (my budget covers them all):

1.) Linksys WAG325N
2.) Netgear DG834N
3.) Belkin N1

I feel I should also point out that stability is key. My current router keeps dropping it's internet connection after a few hours uptime, and isn't very good (it is a D Link DSL-G604T). I keep having to fiddle with it all the time, and it's performance as mentioned is terrible. I also have an old Mac Mini, which I use as the primary download server (its quiet, and is faulty so it's always on, and built in wireless). I would like to have compatibility with that. I also, don't know if this affects it, have a printer shared on the network connected to a PC.

Any help here would be great, some user reviews would really help with my decision.

G

Everyone rates Linksys but I was less impressed by their user forums than with Netgear's. I've been happy with Netgear stuff.

Wrinkly_Ninja

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Does the linksys do everything I want, that's what I'm interested the most, because my old Dlink was awful, and the support was non-existant. I just don't want to buy something new and have the same old problems.

Thanks again.

EDIT:I have decided to drop the Belkin router, as there seems to be very little technical info on it, which seems a little suspicious to me. That and it is the most expensive to buy since I also need a usb adapter. And it has very little support. Seems a bit of a brand name and looks rather than any actual good at what it does. If I am doing the wrong thing, post saying so.

riser

Illustrious
The connectivity is all the same.. you could drop with any of them. Other signals factor in. Set it to channel 1 or 11 and you'll have a better chance at staying connected... but its wireless. Its not guarenteed to stay connected.

If you require 100% connection or something very reliable, you should check into going into cable. I'm not a huge fan of wireless still to this day beacuse of how many people experience problems with it.

Put it this way.. I buy $800 Cisco access points that are far superior to anything you'd buy in Best Buy or the likes.. and I still have people dropping off from time to time or not being able to connect for some reason or another.

Its wireless.. its not a wire.

Wrinkly_Ninja

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I can't use wires, but thanks for the help guys. I think I will go with the Netgear one, it is cheaper and I like the look of it better. Other than that they seem pretty much identical.