Partition HDD be4 VISTA install??!

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Hi, im building my new pc. question is how can i partition my hdd when i don't have vista install? or does the vista install cd have a option when prompt to partition/format before vista installs?? help
:(

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You can Use the drive tools that came with the drive, or downloaded from their site.

I haven't used Vista since RC1, but I'm almost positive you can manually set the partition size to install on.

I saw this on the linked MS help page.
Note If you are installing Windows Vista on a new hard disk, the Setup program automatically creates an active partition.
So you might need to use the HD manufacturers tools.

You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It's easy to use the MFG tools. Try to use Vista and if it won't let you partition on install, then abort and use the MFG tools. I read you can repartition later with Vista but why bother. You don't have a CD burner?

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
y need a cd burner?if vista is done install,i can go computer management to add more partutions, my hdd dont come w/ cds

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Unless the CD came with the drive, then yes. I haven't tried to change the partition size with Vista. It appears from what I've read that you can. If not, then you will have to get partitioning software.

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
or i can hook up my new hdd to my old vista pc and format there too right?he i am looking to make 2 partition c: and maybe recovwery backup is that good?