Toshiba 52HM84 - Any way to change side screen color?

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 29, 2005 3:04:21 AM

Hey folks,

i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
any way to change it to black?

TIA...

- Mike

-----------------------------------
Mike Murray

"Whatever..."
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:04:22 AM

If you want to deal with the resulting screen burnin. That's why the mfgr's
use the grey side bars.
"Mike Murray" <nurnay@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
> when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
> sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
> any way to change it to black?
>
> TIA...
>
> - Mike
>

> -----------------------------------
> Mike Murray
>
> "Whatever..."
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:04:22 AM

> Hey folks,
>
> i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
> when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
> sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
> any way to change it to black?

Why don't you stretch it?
April 29, 2005 3:04:23 AM

Actually, I think the model in question is DLP so burn in is not an issue. I
don't own one though so I can't tell the O.P. what the answer is. I would
guess there is a mode or format to switch to that has black bars instead of
grey, there is on my Mitsubishi and I would suspect it's the same on the
Toshiba, have you consulted the manual?

bobukcat

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you want to deal with the resulting screen burnin. That's why the
mfgr's
> use the grey side bars.
> "Mike Murray" <nurnay@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
> > when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
> > sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
> > any way to change it to black?
> >
> > TIA...
> >
> > - Mike
> >

> > -----------------------------------
> > Mike Murray
> >
> > "Whatever..."

April 29, 2005 4:39:18 AM

Gray was chosen by the manufacturer as the best color to avoid
burn-in...black is the worst!! Just get to accept it; I know I did with my
Mitsubishi.
Roger
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:39:19 AM

It's DLP, no burn in to worry about!

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
> Gray was chosen by the manufacturer as the best color to avoid
> burn-in...black is the worst!! Just get to accept it; I know I did with my
> Mitsubishi.
> Roger

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:03:52 AM

"Mike Murray" <nurnay@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
> when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
> sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
> any way to change it to black?
>
> TIA...
>
> - Mike
>

> -----------------------------------
> Mike Murray

There is a reason it's grey. It's to TRY to reduce phosphor aging
differences.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:53:19 PM

"Jeff Rigby" <jeffg212@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Mike Murray" <nurnay@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
>> when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
>> sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
>> any way to change it to black?
>>
>> TIA...
>>
>> - Mike
>>

>> -----------------------------------
>> Mike Murray
>>
>There is a reason it's grey. It's to TRY to reduce phosphor aging
>differences.

On a DLP set???

I sure wish manufacturers of both displays and STBs would come up
with a more flexible approach to pillarboxing and letterboxing color
choices.

My Samsung T451 digital receiver uses light grey without any other
options even though they had no idea what type of display I would be
using with it when they made that decision.

Does anyone know of any manufacturer offering to pillarbox or
letterbox using a color that's dynamically determined by, for
instance, an average of the current frame brightness?

If not, then at least they should offer a range of brightness
that can be easily selected by the viewer based on current
programming.

joemooreaterolsdotcom
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:52:02 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:23:16 -0400, "bobukcat"
<bobukcat@killspam.fuse.net> had this to say...

>Actually, I think the model in question is DLP so burn in is not an issue. I
>don't own one though so I can't tell the O.P. what the answer is. I would
>guess there is a mode or format to switch to that has black bars instead of
>grey, there is on my Mitsubishi and I would suspect it's the same on the
>Toshiba, have you consulted the manual?
>
>bobukcat

Manual? I'm a guy, so manuals are out of the question. :-)

Yes, I did check the manual, but no luck...

- Mike

-----------------------------------
Mike Murray

"Whatever..."
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:52:30 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:17:39 -0400, "Eli Renfro"
<erenfro@nospamoptonline.net> had this to say...

>> Hey folks,
>>
>> i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
>> when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
>> sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
>> any way to change it to black?
>
>Why don't you stretch it?

Yeah, that's an option, but the picture is slightly distorted, isn't
it?

-----------------------------------
Mike Murray

"Whatever..."
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:52:31 PM

> >> Hey folks,
> >>
> >> i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
> >> when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
> >> sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
> >> any way to change it to black?
> >
> >Why don't you stretch it?
> >

> Yeah, that's an option, but the picture is slightly distorted, isn't
> it?

Yes, but from what I've seen the Toshiba stretch modes are actually very
good.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:39:05 AM

Mike Murray wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:17:39 -0400, "Eli Renfro"
> <erenfro@nospamoptonline.net> had this to say...
>

>>>Hey folks,
>>>
>>>i just bought this TV and I love it. The only thing that bugs me is
>>>when i watch a regular TV show, and it goes to "normal" view. The
>>>sides of the screen are grey. This is a bit annoying to me. Is there
>>>any way to change it to black?
>>
>>Why don't you stretch it?
>>

> Yeah, that's an option, but the picture is slightly distorted, isn't
> it?
>

> -----------------------------------
> Mike Murray
>
> "Whatever..."

There is no option on the Toshiba to change the grey bars to black. I
usually use the Theater 1 setting instead of dealing with any color
bars. With the Theater 1 setting there is very little distortion...just
a little at the sides.

Sharon
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:42:17 PM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:56:44 -0400, "Eli Renfro"
<erenfro@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>> >Why don't you stretch it?
>> >

>> Yeah, that's an option, but the picture is slightly distorted, isn't
>> it?
>
>Yes, but from what I've seen the Toshiba stretch modes are actually very
>good.

Yeah, actually it does look pretty decent. I jus tried it tonight and
it looks good.

Thanks to all that responded!
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:02:31 AM

> oldguy wrote:

>>That's odd. I have a Toshiba and use stretch mode and can't see any
>>problems with anyone looking fat, and NO severe distortion.
>>
>>Toshiba does an excellent job in stretch modes.

>>You should learn to not use such terms as , "impossible" when you
>>don't know what you are talking about.

tooloud answered correctly:

> No, it's certainly not strange to claim that it is IMPOSSIBLE to fill a 16:9
> screen with a 4:3 image and not distort or lose some of the picture. If the
> image is stretched in any way, the difference in shapes is enough for the
> average TV viewer to notice.
>
> The TV manufacturers would LITERALLY have to break the laws of geometry to
> do it any other way.

Of course you are 100% correct, tooloud. After getting into a hairy
argument with a friend over this same issue - here is what I found out
(later) ...

To minimize the stretch distortion, some sets CUT the height of the 4:3
frame to lessen the about of stretch required to fill the 16:9 frame.

Cheers,
Winfield
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:11:48 AM

oldguy wrote:

<snip>

>> The TV manufacturers would LITERALLY have to break the laws of
>> geometry to do it any other way.
>>
> I didn't say I didn't lose anythig. I said my picture was not
> distorted and the characters did not look fat. Maintainig the aspect
> ratio is doe with computers all the time.
>
> Yes, you do lose some of the picture, but I for one usually focus my
> attention on the center of the action, not the edges.

That's ridiculous.

> I have both a SD Directv tuner which I watch on my 16:9 screen all the
> time and a HD tuner which I watch using the DVI connection. The DVI
> connection forces me to watch most commercial and a lot of regular
> (non-HD) programming in 4:3. I mutch prefer the "stretched" image on
> the non-HD tuner of the same commercials to the 4:3 postage stamp
> from the HD tuner.
>
> And, I cn assure you that neither I, nor my Daughter, my friends, nor
> my dog notice that much of a difference

"That much of a difference" is a highly subjective term. I liken cutting the
top and bottom of the picture off to watching a pan-and-scan movie. I'd
likely cringe either way.

> between Crossing Jordan on the
> no-HD Directv tuner and the HD directv tuner outside of picture
> quality (sharpness, clarity).
>
> How old is your Toshiba? I hope you don't intend to compare a
> generation one big screen to the newer much improved models.

It's this year's model, purchased in November, IIRC.

> Remember: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll say...a quality-degraded zoomed image certainly isn't my cup of tea,
not to mention that I can't imagine what the on-screen displays/guides from
an external component must look like viewed in that format.

FWIW, I've never touched any of the "TheaterWide" settings on my set; I
probably never will unless I happen to be viewing a non-anamorphic DVD and
there's a setting to [almost] perfectly fill the screen horizontally with a
1.85 or 2.35 disc. As it stands, I've not run across this scenario and
probably never will.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply...

On Mon, 02 May 2005 07:02:31 -0700, WinField <doghouse@operamail.com>
wrote:

>To minimize the stretch distortion, some sets CUT the height of the 4:3
>frame to lessen the about of stretch required to fill the 16:9 frame.
>
> Cheers,
> Winfield

which works quite well for me. If there's text at the top or bottom
that i need to read, i just put back into standard mode.
!