Basic Router Advice Needed

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
I learned enough from this forum to build my current computer about 6 months back but, unfortunately, I am still a complete noob when it comes to routers and networks!

I could use some router advice from those of you kind enough to give it...

I have my main computer upstairs and just picked up a used Dell for my 5 year old son. I'd like to get internet access for him but don't want to network the computers together. I am currently using a high speed cable connection through Comcast. Can I get a router and run a CAT 5 cable downstairs to the Dell? I'm thinking of not going with a wireless router because the cable would be so easy to run directly below.

I could be wrong here, but would I connect my internet connection from my main PC to the cable modem to the router and then another CAT 5 cable from the router to the Dell downstairs? I have a pretty fast connection so is there any particular router that I would need to get to take advantage of the speed?

Also, I know that there are security issues that have to be taken care when setting up a wireless network but are there any issues that I need to be concerned with just 'hardwiring' rather than creating a network or going wireless?

If anyone can provide answers and clarification, it would be much appreciated! Also, any recommendations on which router to get would be great as well.

Thanks in advance,

-J

akhilles

Splendid
The easiest is still wired. Wireless isn't just plug-n-play. There are a few issues. Security & connectivity. XP/Vista can disconnect at random due to interference or those crap bundled wireless connection programs.

The correct setup is:

[DSL MODEM]-[ROUTER]=====[PCs]

The router has 4 ports in the back. Out of the box, it can do 4 pc's at the same time. If you buy a hub or hubs, you can extend to 8/10/12/16, etc. up to 256 - 1 (DMZ) = 255 PCs. However, the more bandwidth is shared, the slower the bandwidth. Right now your pc is the only one hooked up to the modem so it's lightning fast.

I would recommend a $50-100 wireless 802.11g or 802.11n router with 4 wired ports. Stick with well known brands like BELKIN, DLINK & LINKSYS. You can upgrade to wireless down the road. And a 100ft CAT5 cable. Should be cheap now. The cable is long enough for 3 floors.

If you insist on wired only, you can pick one up for $10-20 used on craiglist or ebay.

Don't worry about taking advantage of the speed cuz the average DSL is 5Mbps whereas the router does 100Mbps wired & 11Mbps - 248Mbps wireless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Protocols

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for the reply akhilles. I was just wondering if you could clarify something, though. You mentioned that the easiest is still wired. You then recommend a wireless router but say that I could upgrade to wireless down the road. I am assuming that you are recommending I pick up a wireless router but use a CAT5 cable/wire to still run from the router to the Dell downstairs? And then I could make it non-wireless in the future by getting a wireless usb or pci card for the Dell?

Is this correct?

Thanks!

-J

akhilles

Splendid
Yup, a wireless router will give you the option to upgrade your pcs to wireless down the road. When you upgrade, you don't have to buy a new router since it's wireless.

Use CAT5 for now. Most disconnect issues are on the ISP side, in this config. Wireless issues can make you pull your hair out sometimes.

BTW, some wireless routers let you disable wireless so it doesn't broadcast an ID.

sturm

Splendid
Most home routers come with wireless built in. The price difference is very small between wired only and wireless. If you don't use the wireless part turn it off for security reasons.

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Thanks, guys. I've tried to narrow it down, but could you tell me which one you would select out of these two choices?

LINKSYS WRT150N www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124085

LINKSYS WRT54GL www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190