Please Help!

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Well, I've yet to isolate my issue with my computer randomly freezing during graphic intensive gameplay, so I suppose I'll settle with trying an OS reinstall. Only problem is, I previously installed the OEM version of XP from newegg, and I'm wondering if it will reinstall from the same disc, or are OEM discs 1 shot deals? I won't proceed further until I hear back from ya'll, but while I'm at it, maybe you can help me resolve the issue. I recently purchased an EVGA 8800GT and am having a little trouble playing games like CoD4 and etc. I came from an X1950PRO so this is a little bit of a disappointment that the 8800gt is failing in comparison at this moment. Everything seems as if it should be working, and yet after about 30 minutes of playing, my computer randomly freezes. I've never received an error message as the freeze generally forces me to reboot manually. I'm running on e2160 OC to 2.7, 2gb OCZ ram, Corsair 450vx 450w psu, and Gigabyte P35-DS3L. Previously I had no issues running any of my games with the x1950PRO and the 8800GT still wont last even on the comparable settings. I uninstalled all of the previous drivers correctly and used drivercleaner, so I doubt that is the issue. My temps are fairly cool, the CPU idles at 30c, load about 45c and the GPU idles near 50c, load 60c. All of the existing hardware is practically new, 3 months old, and appears to be in working order. Furthermore, the graphics card seems to be the culprit, yet it runs with flying colors during the brief time it actually works during games, with an additional 12,500 3dmark06 score. I've tried multiple fixes, yet nothing seems to work, so I suppose it wouldnt hurt to try a complete reinstall. If the reinstall seems like my best option please respond, I'm looking for any and all advice.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
First of all, you can reinstall the OEM Windows version as many times as you need on that same hardware. If you change motherboard in particular, you might have to call MS and have them reset the key.

Second, did you go into Ntune or RivaTuner and set your fanspeed on the 8800 GT to at least 60%? I don't know if your card scales the fanspeed properly, but I know the first runs didn't. I have to set mine to 60% to keep from random game crashes or lockups. 60% is still around the same db levels as my Antec 900 case fans and CPU fans, Dominator Fans, so I don't really notice it. You may find it to be loud if you have a relatively quiet system. I would suggest that if you don't hear your VGA fan spin up faster and faster as the card gets hotter, that you try this.

Hope that works!

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Could be your PSU isn't giving the machine enough juice. I'm not sure what the 8800GT is like, but I remember having issues with an 8800GTS and a 500W PSU.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
when the gfx card doesnt get enough juce it has a speaker on it and it moand at you if you dont belive me try it yourself by unplugging the power connector on the gfx card, it will be your gfx card overheating all 8800gt suffer this problem cos the single slot cooler is crap

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Yes, before you buy a new PSU, download Ntune from Nvidia and manually set your fan speed to 60%. It will take 5 mins to setup and keep you from wasting money.