BrowserQuest.dll - how to get rid of it?

Dave56

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
BrowserQuest Service.dll
BrowsweQuest.exe
BrowserQuest125.exe

HMM!!!!

No clue where this came from nor how to get it GONE.

Have WinPatrol PLUS that helped me identify it- no name no info though...
was able to "kill" the application but... it will not go away from SERVICES.
Tried going into services.msc in SafeMode as admin/and my user acct which is admin approved-just can't seem to get rid of it.

I updated MalwareBytes- performed a quick scan and a Full scan- found a BUNCH of adware but MBAM did not find BrowserQuest or see it as a hazard???
File Assassin will get me TO C:\DocumentsandSettings\AllUsers\StartMenu\Programs\AdministrativeTools
in services-- BUT it would eliminate all services so that's a dead end.
Tried to "get there" in c prompt - no luck there.

Any ideas on how to get trid of this highly suspiscious "service"?
Thanks

Dave56

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Well i tried RemoveIT- useless- detected 1001 "issues" that turned out to be a free poker chip game i've had for eons and my HDTV driver- NOTHING abaout BrowserQuest- so i deleted that.
Tried MalwareBytes in SafeMode... tried the quick anad full scans in my acct - then Admin... no problems found.
Looked at Avira... having problems believing in any thing being able to detect or remove this-except...
WinPatrol at least let me KILL the application/stop it from running and the laptop is running aok-fine.
will yet try Gmer and let y'all know.
Thanks for the suggestions

Check to see if you have this path.
C:\Program Files\BrowserQuest\
If you do, delete it.

Run msconfig. If it's in there to start with windows, disable it.

Another quality scanner is microsoft security essentials.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Dave56

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Good idea(s), I looked in SERVICES within MSCONFIG...
not there.
Will try MS essentials - yet getting less than hopeful

Thanks

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
That old poker game was full of issues too. Most of them are.
Is this the same comp with the fried mobo after Windows Updates, or a diff one?

MS Essentials is a suite that runs resident, not just when you have a problem. It's A-V +Spyware preventive. Likewise Avira is a preventive. Are you running anything resident, meaning in the background?

Dave56

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

No the fried mobo is d-e-a-d dead. have like 3 laptops here 2 are up n running aok.
MS essentials running resident or anything running from MS these days is not what i find comforting at all.
The reviews of essentials were mediocre at best.
I got rid of the BrowserQuest service.dll Finally and all is well with the 2 running laptops.

I run WinPatrol and just use malwarebytes or whatever i want when i want-then uninstall it.

Thanks

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
You need an A-V and firewall running resident for prevention. No, MS Essentials doesn't have the best antispyware features, but plenty of good free ones--Avast, Avira, Comodo firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall.