how to add backlighting to a pc keyboard

spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I was wondering amongst all you more exp modders, if there is a way to add backlighting, so tha the keys on my keyboard show up better than the system I'm using now.

I have reg lighting that shines over the keyboard, but I'm sure that it be much better if they were from underneath the keys.

I am using a MS DIGITAL MEDIA PRO keyboard which I love, and have very attached to.

Any idea folks?

Would prefer blue lighting if it can be done so.

spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
HMMM how about something that would reside on the underneath and just back light....the keys dont need to glow....just wondering if ambient lighting can be added.....

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
You could maybe try to find a small black light or something like that. Assuming you have a black keyboard w/white lettering, the keys would probably show up...

cosmicc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Is that even possible?
I guess you could experiment in putting cold cathode lighting possibly in a cavity in the keyboard below the keys, that might work. You could also try wiring LEDs under all the keys. The LEDs would most likely look better, but would be extremely difficult to wire up and power, and would also be rather expensive. The cold cathodes however would be easy to do, though you probably wouldn't get even light dispersion (one in front, one in back maybe?). You would most likely have to drill holes or cavities in order to place the lighting without interfering with the keys. I've never tried it, but I'd be a really cool project to try.
I have a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard that comes with backlighting (3 colours! all right!), plus the backlighting on the Saitek looks really shnazzy because the keys are etched to allow light to shine through the key letters themselves, as well as around the keys. The keyboard itself is also very nice, very comfortable to work on. I get quite a bit of oooh's and ahhh's for my blue glowing keyboard sitting beside my blue and green glowing PC.
If you have the money, get a Saitek eclipse II, or if you're feeling ambitious, try to wire something up.
Or even just add the cold cathodes on the bottom of the keyboard to light up the desk its sitting on; make it look cool.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Could you at least TRY to be constructive? Something along the lines of: "It will be VERY difficult/near impossible (nothing is impossible)"

More than likely much too difficult/expensive to be worth it compared to buying an already backlit keyboard. Many companies are offering backlit keyboards nowadays. Just try to find one with as many common features to your existing keyboard. I recently purchased the original Saitek Eclipse and couldn't be happier with it. Very nice and solid build quality.

As far as really pursuing this mod, as stated the cold cathodes would be the least expensive route, but it depends on whether your keyboard has enough empty space inside to house them without interfering with the functionality. I wonder if you'd be able to power any aftermarket lighting with the existing USB wiring inside the keyboard. I'd like to see someone with more in depth knowledge elaborate on this...

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Of course it can be done. But you have to have a keyboard that will let that light bleed out nicely. I used a cold cathode flexible tube (blue) in my ordinary keyboard (old PS2 style). Although it fitted nicely in the keyboard, when i closed it and switched it on, i could barely see any light around the keyboard, and none between the keys. The problem was that the way the keyboard was constructed, when i closed it, the plastic would seal between the 2 parts of the keyboard, sealing any gaps, and therefore preventing any light from glowing around as it should be. Maybe with another keyboard you are more lucky than me, but to me after all this fuss and money (flexible cold cathode tube a bit expensive!) it would seem a much better idea to get a ready made keyboard with translucent keys to boot and be done with it.

cosmicc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
As cool as the EL wire would be, I have to agree with darkguset. Even if you are able to get the wire into a place to fit nicely, it wouldn't look that impressive overall due to the fact that the keys aren't translucent. It be easiest to pursue a Saitek keyboard in which case the light is evenly dispersed, and shines through the key letters.